Who’s struggling?

Thank you @weepweeps .

I thought my op would be a bit sooner so I was originally planning not to be back in work today and to just roll my Christmas leave right into the sick leave for the surgery.

But as it's been pushed a little further along, it didn't feel right to just be off even though I do have the annual leave to spend and work say it's fine. I can't make the most of it thanks to Covid so I would be stuck at home...something I'll be doing a lot of anyway in my recovery.

I'll see how I feel though, I definitely don't feel like I have all my ducks in a row at the moment. Didn't think I'd be starting 2022 with major surgery!

Get the surgery out of the way early and have a great 2022

Thank you @weepweeps .

I thought my op would be a bit sooner so I was originally planning not to be back in work today and to just roll my Christmas leave right into the sick leave for the surgery.

But as it's been pushed a little further along, it didn't feel right to just be off even though I do have the annual leave to spend and work say it's fine. I can't make the most of it thanks to Covid so I would be stuck at home...something I'll be doing a lot of anyway in my recovery.

I'll see how I feel though, I definitely don't feel like I have all my ducks in a row at the moment. Didn't think I'd be starting 2022 with major surgery!
I had a hysterectomy three years ago (not due to cancer, but very heavy bleeding caused by a myome) and before the operation I was always switching between denial and panic. Then it was posponed for about a week. The waiting nearly drove me over the edge.
But - depending on the way they operate - you have to be really patient in the weeks after the op. I had the 'biggest' variant of the op and it took seven weeks to start feeling halfway normal again. The pain wasn't a problem in my case, but the healing takes up all of your energy.
I moved back to my parents for the first weeks (plus piggies), so I was looked after. I couldn't have done it in my own. You are not allowed to lift anything and going for a little walk was a big deal.
So be prepared to give yourself the time you need.

I got the meds fixed, sort of. A guy from the CMHT (I've met him before, he was covering the on call for the day but he's actually an all-right sort) couldn't find the missing ones, but did manage to get a repeat done for this week and has left instructions for my care coordinator to get in touch when she's back (which is either tomorrow or next week, I should've paid more attention when she told me) so that she can go find them.

And I'm pondering finding a new pharmacy. They couldn't seem to understand on Sunday that, sure, I have enough meds, but right now it looks like you've lost a prescription. A prescription with controlled drugs on it. If you can't understand why that's an issue then perhaps you're in the wrong bloody job. But finding a new regular pharmacy isn't as simple as ticking a box on a form especially when I like being difficult and insist on taking specific forms of certain meds.

I got the meds fixed, sort of. A guy from the CMHT (I've met him before, he was covering the on call for the day but he's actually an all-right sort) couldn't find the missing ones, but did manage to get a repeat done for this week and has left instructions for my care coordinator to get in touch when she's back (which is either tomorrow or next week, I should've paid more attention when she told me) so that she can go find them.

And I'm pondering finding a new pharmacy. They couldn't seem to understand on Sunday that, sure, I have enough meds, but right now it looks like you've lost a prescription. A prescription with controlled drugs on it. If you can't understand why that's an issue then perhaps you're in the wrong bloody job. But finding a new regular pharmacy isn't as simple as ticking a box on a form especially when I like being difficult and insist on taking specific forms of certain meds.

I’m pleased things are heading in a more positive direction for you. Maybe stay with this pharmacy for a bit longer. They might get their act together soon.

Well after a bit of faffing this morning, I have a surgery date now for my hysterectomy. Feels like it's ages away but it's not really. Not sure I believe it will actual happen though...it all feels a bit surreal.

Trying to decide what to do about work. I'm doing half days this week but next week will depend on how I'm doing (not sleeping well) and also any pre-op stuff.

Just would like this to be over now. I'm not a patient patient!
Glad you have a date now, hope the surgery goes really well and the wait up to it isn’t too horrendous x

I’m sorry you are struggling with anxiety and depression Have you tried mindfulness. My doctors surgery ran a 6 week course and it did help me. Maybe ask them about that and also have a chat to see if your medication is the right one or strength. Losing a pet can knock your mental health hard if you are already struggling. I lost my 16.5 year old Border Terrier Eddie in November. That was really hard. Good luck.
Thanks for your kind reply, I have been in contact with my GP mental health team today and I will hopefully be referred for some talking therapy soon.

Thank you @weepweeps .

I’m sending you all good wishes for your surgery.

The good thing about having major surgery at the beginning of the year is that you are starting your recovery in the early spring when it’s easier to get out side for short walks, the weather gets better, the days brighter and more colourful. It might not be the start to 2022 that you’d planned, but it’s actually a very positive start to the year as you get the surgery over and done with and start your recovery phase. Stay positive.

Thanks for your kind reply, I have been in contact with my GP mental health team today and I will hopefully be referred for some talking therapy soon.

The first (and very hard) step to getting better is to admit you need help. Well done for being brave and realising this. My lovely late Mum had bipolar so I know how very hard it is to realise that actually need help.

Agree with your idea.

It’s difficult wishing for a HNY knowing that my mum (currently is hospital) is very unlikely to still be with us by the end of the year. Couldn’t visit at Christmas as eldest son had covid. Hoping to go with the teenagers tomorrow for a couple of nights before school restsrts but worried about Crumble’s bloat and leaving my wife without a car if there’s an emergency. On the other hand there are other things to look forward to but rather overshadowed.

Hello. I hope you managed to get to see your mum.

That’s brilliant. I really hope it works for you. Take care. ❤️

Hi everyone maybe we should have a dedicated thread for us to go to if we are struggling with anything non piggy related? I’ve wanted to post about how sad I am about my mums dementia. It’s
supposed to be a happy time of year where you eat, drink and be merry. Well I eat, drink and be sad. I know you guys can’t make my mum better. But sometimes it’s nice just to off load. Be heard.

It’s nice just to have people say we’re sorry you’re sad have a hug 🤗
I'm so sorry to hear this especially so soon after losing your elderly dog. Keep us updated on how you're both doing we're all hear to support. Xx

I'm so sorry @PigglePuggle to hear about your mum passing away recently how awful. Take care of yourselves and we are always here xx

Really sorry to everyone else who has experienced grief/mental health difficulties recently or lost a loved one or animal. Really hope 2022 is as positive as it can be for you all.

Everyone sounds really brave going through all these hardships and opening up. A really good idea for a thread.

I've been lucky that so far my animals are healthy. Haven't lost a single guinea pig yet and my elderly dog is 14 and a half without any major issues. BUT, I know that he can't go on forever and I really wonder how I'll cope when that day does come or if I have any major worries that so many of you have bravely shared.

I've been type 1 diabetic for 8 months now, and I thought I was doing really well, I got over my needle phobia surprisingly fast, managed to control my blood sugar recently well and seemed to have energy to do everything happily.
but now I am feeling like I really don't have the energy to constantly inject myself for everything little thing I eat and have to perform constant maths equations in my head for carbs all of the time and all the other things I have to do to keep myself alive. I really don't like maths atall either, lol. I miss how simple everything used to be. Recently, I've been feeling its only a matter of time before I make a mistake and get something wrong. I like to keep my blood sugar as normal as possible, which means there's very little room for error if I go too low but I can't bring myself to have sightly higher "safer" blood sugar levels because they're not normal and I haven't managed to let go of that sense of normality yet.. but yeah rant over. Thank you for listening!xx

I'm so sorry to hear this especially so soon after losing your elderly dog. Keep us updated on how you're both doing we're all hear to support. Xx

I'm so sorry @PigglePuggle to hear about your mum passing away recently how awful. Take care of yourselves and we are always here xx

Really sorry to everyone else who has experienced grief/mental health difficulties recently or lost a loved one or animal. Really hope 2022 is as positive as it can be for you all.

Everyone sounds really brave going through all these hardships and opening up. A really good idea for a thread.

I've been lucky that so far my animals are healthy. Haven't lost a single guinea pig yet and my elderly dog is 14 and a half without any major issues. BUT, I know that he can't go on forever and I really wonder how I'll cope when that day does come or if I have any major worries that so many of you have bravely shared.

I've been type 1 diabetic for 8 months now, and I thought I was doing really well, I got over my needle phobia surprisingly fast, managed to control my blood sugar recently well and seemed to have energy to do everything happily. but now I am feeling like I really don't have the energy to constantly inject myself for everything little thing I eat and have to perform constant maths equations in my head for carbs all of the time and all the other things I have to do to keep myself alive. I really don't like maths atall either, lol. I miss how simple everything used to be. Recently, I've been feeling its only a matter of time before I make a mistake and get something wrong. I like to keep my blood sugar as normal as possible, which means there's very little room for error if I go too low but I can't bring myself to have sightly higher "safer" blood sugar levels because they're not normal and I haven't managed to let go of that sense of normality yet.. but yeah rant over. Thank you for listening!xx

That must of been such a shock to be diagnosed with diabetes. 8 months is still early days. You will get used to all the workings out. Well done for getting over your needle phobia. I’m pleased your piggies are well. Give your doggy lots of love and cuddles. You never know when the end comes. It did help me to start to tell myself that Eddie had had a great life with me. So I was going to give him a good death too. I was not going to let him suffer. I hope you have lots more time with your doggy.

I saw my mum yesterday. She was ok. Happy but she doesn’t make much sense.

That must of been such a shock to be diagnosed with diabetes. 8 months is still early days. You will get used to all the workings out. Well done for getting over your needle phobia. I’m pleased your piggies are well. Give your doggy lots of love and cuddles. You never know when the end comes. It did help me to start to tell myself that Eddie had had a great life with me. So I was going to give him a good death too. I was not going to let him suffer. I hope you have lots more time with your doggy.

I saw my mum yesterday. She was ok. Happy but she doesn’t make much sense.
Aww thank you so much that's very kind. Glad that you've stated to feel a bit better about Eddie's passing and it he went peacefully. I'm glad your mum seemed happy that's the main thing. Hoping things get easier soon. Take care xx

Hi @Tara95 sorry to hear about your type 1 diabetes struggles. My daughter also has type 1, diagnosed 4.5 years ago when she was eight. As Mum/chef I have been the one responsible for all the maths and a lot of the anxiety so I understand how tiring it can be.

I keep a notebook with calculations in and gradually make notes on different recipes so I don't have to work it out from scratch every time and can just weigh/cut her portion and know what it is.

Due to the longer term health implications, I also prefer her blood sugar to run on the lower side of the range with the option to give dextrose tables or a drink of juice, rather than on the higher side which I find harder to control unless she's doing energetic exercise.

I have a friend my age (41) who suddenly developed type 1 last year too. She has been accessing support groups online and seems to be doing well.

I hope you're getting proper help and advice from your health care team - I think things are very different for adult care compared to paediatric. I find it hard work to get hospital consultants, family GP and pharmacy to all agree what is going on sometimes! It's definitely a big life changer and I wish you all the best as you adapt and learn.

Hi @Tara95 sorry to hear about your type 1 diabetes struggles. My daughter also has type 1, diagnosed 4.5 years ago when she was eight. As Mum/chef I have been the one responsible for all the maths and a lot of the anxiety so I understand how tiring it can be.

I keep a notebook with calculations in and gradually make notes on different recipes so I don't have to work it out from scratch every time and can just weigh/cut her portion and know what it is.

Due to the longer term health implications, I also prefer her blood sugar to run on the lower side of the range with the option to give dextrose tables or a drink of juice, rather than on the higher side which I find harder to control unless she's doing energetic exercise.

I have a friend my age (41) who suddenly developed type 1 last year too. She has been accessing support groups online and seems to be doing well.

I hope you're getting proper help and advice from your health care team - I think things are very different for adult care compared to paediatric. I find it hard work to get hospital consultants, family GP and pharmacy to all agree what is going on sometimes! It's definitely a big life changer and I wish you all the best as you adapt and learn.
Aww thank you for sharing your story with me. I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter has type 1 diabetes it must be so stressful especially as she's so young. You sound like you've got things under control but nevertheless it must still be incredibly stressful for you. I hope things have got easier for you both over the years and that you are coping.

and that's a good idea to write down recipes so you don't have to keep calculating. It is a bit different for me though as I'm kind of in the honeymoon phase sometimes I need hardly any insulin and sometimes I need lots it changes depending on the day I think, lol.

I always find the different departments say completely different things. I've have the GP refuse to give me tabs because I was using too many when I was recently diagnosed lol and I also had them refuse to give me a certain type of insulin that I was having for a while lol.
But I've done my own research (probably a bit too thoroughly and spent too much time obsessing over it tbh lol) so I'm quite confident in my knowledge.
My most recent HBa1C was 38 but I was being really strict and perhaps risking being a little bit too low at times as like I said I Don't like dealing with the highs but can tolerate the lows apart from one time I had a bad headache for days so I think I'm going to try and be a bit more cautious.

I hope you've both had a lovely Christmas enjoying all foods types as I have! Wishing you the best 2022 xx

Aww thank you for sharing your story with me. I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter has type 1 diabetes it must be so stressful especially as she's so young. You sound like you've got things under control but nevertheless it must still be incredibly stressful for you. I hope things have got easier for you both over the years and that you are coping.

and that's a good idea to write down recipes so you don't have to keep calculating. It is a bit different for me though as I'm kind of in the honeymoon phase sometimes I need hardly any insulin and sometimes I need lots it changes depending on the day I think, lol.

I always find the different departments say completely different things. I've have the GP refuse to give me tabs because I was using too many when I was recently diagnosed lol and I also had them refuse to give me a certain type of insulin that I was having for a while lol.
But I've done my own research (probably a bit too thoroughly and spent too much time obsessing over it tbh lol) so I'm quite confident in my knowledge.
My most recent HBa1C was 38 but I was being really strict and perhaps risking being a little bit too low at times as like I said I Don't like dealing with the highs but can tolerate the lows apart from one time I had a bad headache for days so I think I'm going to try and be a bit more cautious.

I hope you've both had a lovely Christmas enjoying all foods types as I have! Wishing you the best 2022 xx
Insulin needs definitely don't follow a simple formula!

When my daughter was diagnosed she had a friend in her school class who had type 1, and we had such lovely support from that family. The Mum used to say "this insulin is water" on days when it seemed like whatever she gave did nothing!

From the few people I know, it's very much something that affects every individual differently, and the way each person manages it is a little different too. Knowledge is power, I don't reckon there's any such thing as too much research! Nobody will be such an expert on your personal condition as you are yourself. And you never know how strong you are until you have to deal with this stuff. It's OK to find it hard - it IS hard! - but you are doing amazing things every day which you should be proud of 🤩

Insulin needs definitely don't follow a simple formula!

When my daughter was diagnosed she had a friend in her school class who had type 1, and we had such lovely support from that family. The Mum used to say "this insulin is water" on days when it seemed like whatever she gave did nothing!

From the few people I know, it's very much something that affects every individual differently, and the way each person manages it is a little different too. Knowledge is power, I don't reckon there's any such thing as too much research! Nobody will be such an expert on your personal condition as you are yourself. And you never know how strong you are until you have to deal with this stuff. It's OK to find it hard - it IS hard! - but you are doing amazing things every day which you should be proud of 🤩
Aww thank you 😊. I'm so glad you had that support there especially a friend for your daughter. That is rare two in the same class. So nice the family were there for you both. Do you find it much easier a few years on from diagnosis or is it always challenging? Xx

Aww thank you 😊. I'm so glad you had that support there especially a friend for your daughter. That is rare two in the same class. So nice the family were there for you both. Do you find it much easier a few years on from diagnosis or is it always challenging? Xx
My daughter and I are both more confident with how to manage it nowadays. New challenges still come up though... Teen hormones affect insulin!

Nearly everything has definitely got easier with time. I think the only thing she absolutely hates is the annual full blood work - it's really hard to get a big enough blood sample from her and last time she practically passed out from terror 😢 But the day to day is just part of normal life for us now.

My daughter and I are both more confident with how to manage it nowadays. New challenges still come up though... Teen hormones affect insulin!

Nearly everything has definitely got easier with time. I think the only thing she absolutely hates is the annual full blood work - it's really hard to get a big enough blood sample from her and last time she practically passed out from terror 😢 But the day to day is just part of normal life for us now.
Aww bless her. I think I would've really struggled with this as a child, she's very brave. In recent months I've had to get regular blood due to taking part in a trial for diabetes and they can never get any blood out of me because my veins are too small and collapse. We managed to get the correct amount of blood last time but it has to be spread out over three veins which all produced just a bit each. I've had to have it in my hands and all sorts which is fine but as a child I would be terrified. Fingers crossed she doesn't require full bloods too often. I'm sure she'll get better with it in time. I'm glad you have been finding it easier in recent years. Xx

Aww bless her. I think I would've really struggled with this as a child, she's very brave. In recent months I've had to get regular blood due to taking part in a trial for diabetes and they can never get any blood out of me because my veins are too small and collapse. We managed to get the correct amount of blood last time but it has to be spread out over three veins which all produced just a bit each. I've had to have it in my hands and all sorts which is fine but as a child I would be terrified. Fingers crossed she doesn't require full bloods too often. I'm sure she'll get better with it in time. I'm glad you have been finding it easier in recent years. Xx

Yowch! Well done for participating in the trial though, it must be such a boost for the research teams every time someone volunteers. My daughter has taken part in a couple of trials too, and her little brother even volunteered for one for siblings (although it took a chocolate muffin treat in the hospital café before he could psych himself up enough to actually give his little blood sample 😊)

Hello. I hope you managed to get to see your mum.
Thank you, yes we made it down and the weather held for two visits so she was allowed outside in a wheelchair under a pile of blankets and a dressing gown plus a foot warmer fleece.

Then a grumpy nurse told my sister off afterwards saying that such visits were no longer allowed as it was only a concession for Christmas. My sister explained but was upset by the incident. Luckily we were heading home that afternoon so we’d got our visits in. We understand the need for restrictions but we were outside, wearing masks, all vaccinated and had tested negative! Waiting to be moved to a suitable care home as she’s not well enough to go home but not ill enough for the hospital.

At least my mum appreciated seeing me and her grandsons.

Thank you, yes we made it down and the weather held for two visits so she was allowed outside in a wheelchair under a pile of blankets and a dressing gown plus a foot warmer fleece.

Then a grumpy nurse told my sister off afterwards saying that such visits were no longer allowed as it was only a concession for Christmas. My sister explained but was upset by the incident. Luckily we were heading home that afternoon so we’d got our visits in. We understand the need for restrictions but we were outside, wearing masks, all vaccinated and had tested negative! Waiting to be moved to a suitable care home as she’s not well enough to go home but not ill enough for the hospital.

At least my mum appreciated seeing me and her grandsons.

I’m so happy you managed to see your mum. She will of really enjoyed it I’m sure.

PS ignore the grumpy nurse.

5am and I'm wide awake worrying about my PCR test in a few hours time. It's my last hurdle before my Op next week.

I am terrified I'm going to get a positive. I've had a bit of a runny nose, a slight throat tickle and an on and off headache this week. I've done several LFTs and they've all been negative. It could be down to stress. But I know that PCRs are more sensitive.

The nurse at the pre-op said they like you to have been Covid free for a while but it is down to the consultant and how serious they feel your cancer is when it comes to leaving it for longer.

We've been super careful and I don't know how I'll cope if it's a positive and the op cant go ahead.

Know there is nothing anyone can do, or any advice, but just wanted a bit of a rant.

5am and I'm wide awake worrying about my PCR test in a few hours time. It's my last hurdle before my Op next week.

I am terrified I'm going to get a positive. I've had a bit of a runny nose, a slight throat tickle and an on and off headache this week. I've done several LFTs and they've all been negative. It could be down to stress. But I know that PCRs are more sensitive.

The nurse at the pre-op said they like you to have been Covid free for a while but it is down to the consultant and how serious they feel your cancer is when it comes to leaving it for longer.

We've been super careful and I don't know how I'll cope if it's a positive and the op cant go ahead.

Know there is nothing anyone can do, or any advice, but just wanted a bit of a rant.

Hiya. Rant away. It helps. It’s probably normal to feel this way. You don’t want anything to get in the way of your op. I hope your PCR is negative. I’ll be thinking of you this week. Good luck.

I hope your PCR will be negative
I was super worried about getting a cold and not being fit enough for the op. At the moment the pressure must be so much bigger.
Fingers crossed, that the waiting and the op will be over soon.

Back