The Goblin Diaries (previously Quitting Smoking)

#240! Since I forgot to count yesterday.

I just walked in to check on the goblins and that cardboard tray Camowen kept using as a hat? Well it's still not being used as a toilet but Cam has started eating holes in it. Fair, he'll eat anything he can clamp his teeth to. But when I walked in Bann was in the haypile facing Cam's bed and Cam was in bed with the tray pulled to the door so he could have lunch in bed. 🤷‍♂️

Also, I've stopped putting the beds with the Snugglesafes under a cover (like the fleecy forest) because they kept ignoring them. I moved them out to the cage proper and they're apparently loving it, using them much more often now the beds don't have a roof. They'd be utterly useless in the wild, lol.

I'm beginning to think I've done more than just bruise my finger from the grid connector mishap last weekend - it's still swollen, still painful. That's a week. Oops. Also got a serious case of the trembles today which is irritating.

And so far I have 3 more 3x3 squares done! Once they're all done I'll start putting them together to make the bigger 6x6 squares, but I want to see what I have in front of me first, y'know?

Well don on day 240 🌟
Cam has the right idea…. lunch in bed why not 😂
You are in the wars with your finger ….is it your dominant hand ?
Sounds like you’ve been very productive today - will be good to see all squares put together !

Thankfully no, it's my left hand it pinged back on. Fourth one is now finished but my phone needs charging (Bluetooth drains the battery quicker than I'd like lol), 33 left to go. Quite how I ended up with 41 piles of 3½" squares I'll never know, lol.

Day #241

Yup, I think I've done more than bruise the finger. No point in getting it seen, they're not going to do much for a cracked bone in the fingertip anyway. It's usable, that's the important thing.

Also, daylight savings is screwing with me juuuust a little. I thought earlier I'll take a nap because being outside is exhausting, so I took a nap sometime after 2pm. Woke up briefly, still daylight, "hasn't been that long, I can nap some more." I think I woke up a second time, "Oh it's dark still too early" before definitely waking up in a panic at 8pm "OH MY GOD GOBLINS I'VE LEFT YOU WITH NO HEATING ALL NIGHT I'M SO SOR...oh, 8pm, oops."

I got them something to eat and Bann ate and went back to bed and Cam's been staring at me like I'm a lunatic all evening. Normal business resumed, then.

Wonderful day 241 🎉🌟
Your finger might a time to repair…… if it’s getting caught / bumped you could splint to the finger next to it ?
Hopefully in a few weeks it’ll be fine.
Bann’s got his priorities right hasn't he ! Dear Cam’s thinking and what next ……🥰

I could splint it, makes it harder to sew, though. Plus it's the fingertip (just above the top knuckle, to be exact) so it's an awkward place to splint. Might do it anyway, though. Would maybe save me from causing myself more pain trying to take gloves and hoodies off lol. And to give the goblins their due they've been munching away quite happily on hay, or at least one has every time I've seen them. They do love their Happy Hay lol.

Sometimes I wonder about trying something else with them but I figure it's enough they'll finally eat something that isn't spiky timothy lol. What sort of eejit pigs grumble about soft hay?!

I didn't worry about it too much because as skinnies they seemed much less inclined to nest in it, then I discovered if there was a big enough pile Camowen would bury himself in it - right around the time I realised they'd eat the orchard hay and that was that. They don't get "just timothy" anymore, lol.

I did try them on 3rd cut timothy from Small Pet Select at one point because hey, they love timothy! Except no. Too soft.

Yup. Sewing with a splinted finger is fine. Tacking the squares together, not so much lol. Then I had a headache so I ate chips (mmm, microwave chips) so I could take some ibuprofen. Now I can't find the open box so I thought I'll take a nap. Then remembered I was still waiting on Amazon lol. Ah, I'll live. The goblins have been exceptionally loud all day. Well, mostly Cam, Bann tends to join in only when they don't get my attention fast enough.

Although after yesterday I'm not so sure napping's a great idea either, lol.

I love Bann, I really do, but he has a lot of :doh: moments. I threw in some oat hay earlier, he watched it land in front of him, he ran over it to come beg for treats, I rolled my eyes, said "behind you", he took another step forward, stopped, sniffed the air, turned back round, and started on the hay.
Eejit, lol.

Also I ate too much. John West do these microwaveable pots that are too expensive to eat regularly but there's a tuna meatballs with sweetcorn and rice and it's amazing. Pity on the price.

I love Bann, I really do, but he has a lot of :doh: moments. I threw in some oat hay earlier, he watched it land in front of him, he ran over it to come beg for treats, I rolled my eyes, said "behind you", he took another step forward, stopped, sniffed the air, turned back round, and started on the hay.
Eejit, lol.

Also I ate too much. John West do these microwaveable pots that are too expensive to eat regularly but there's a tuna meatballs with sweetcorn and rice and it's amazing. Pity on the price.

Yum they sound tasty 😋

#245! Oops, skipped a day again.

The goblins have finally decided it's warm enough to get out of bed, nearly 12 hours later. Meanwhile I'm sat here trying to work out where I can throw stuff in different corners to clear me a space for the sewing machine and a surface to put it on. Do I need it? No. Is it too cold downstairs? No. Is the tv upstairs and I want to watch old episodes of Doctor Who?

...maybe.

Good luck with rearranging everything ! I’m sure it’ll all fit in 😂

Good luck with rearranging everything ! I’m sure it’ll all fit in 😂

It mostly did! I could sit on the bed and sew which was what I was aiming for, really. I do have to dismantle the table and move it (and the stuff on it) out of my way before I go to bed or I'll kick it in my sleep knowing my luck. Ironing seams and flattening fabric is gonna be a bit trickier but that's for tomorrow, lol. And I don't hate the block I'm doing which makes it easier.

I am, however, about to have to play with magnets. one of my vapes, the magnets holding the pod in come loose every time I go to refill and I have to get them back in before I can replace the pod. The magnets seem to make a game of how many different places they can end up in that aren't their little slots, lol. Strong buggers, too. But I like a challenge.

It did fit, and I sewed it...and sewed it the wrong way, as you do. Still I'm not mad at myself, I didn't do a bad job with the rest of it so I'd better just hope I managed to sew it the right way next time. Which I'm busy cutting the fabric for.

Also I forgot about it being Bonfire Night. Don't ask me how, the street's been quiet, the road's been quiet, and there's fireworks...but someone was letting off fireworks that genuinely sounded like hailstones and that had me very confused for a while.

And my neck hurts. Like top/side of neck into my ear, my jaw, and that bit of the skull behind them. Painkillers aren't helping, which means lying down is probably my only option. Since I'm not going to lie down, well, I'll just vape and draw out squares. Honestly doesn't feel like a bad evening, haha.

Hiya! I hate running out of stuff for the piggies. How can such a tiny creature put such guilt on us!? I paid an extra 39p today for little gem lettuce at the farm shop, rather than arrive home with no lettuce for them. It was so good I threw some hummus at it and stole some of their red pepper - made a lovely ‘no carb’ wrap! 😁

Well done on day 233!

Well done on day 246 🎉
I’m sorry to hear you’ve had neck/ear/jaw pain - could it be you were in an awkward position sewing ?
Altho painkillers would have helped that. Hopefully by tomorrow it’ll be gone.
Sounds like you’ve had a busy day with the sewing, I’m sure it’ll turn out just right 😂
You need to give us some pictures so we can admire your sewing 🥰

Hiya! I hate running out of stuff for the piggies. How can such a tiny creature put such guilt on us!? I paid an extra 39p today for little gem lettuce at the farm shop, rather than arrive home with no lettuce for them. It was so good I threw some hummus at it and stole some of their red pepper - made a lovely ‘no carb’ wrap! 😁

Well done on day 233!

I was doing a last minute Tesco online shop there because I've only been needing to do it for a week, and Tesco had no little gem and no sweet gem. They do have romaine but I hate romaine, it's a pain to store in the fridge. So I looked - Tesco have butterhead in stock! Here's hoping it's still in stock tomorrow when they do the packing, lol. The goblins prefer butterhead too. Butterhead's even more awkward to store in the fridge than romaine is, so I don't know what my problem is if I'll make room for butterhead...goblins, eh?

Well done on day 246 🎉
I’m sorry to hear you’ve had neck/ear/jaw pain - could it be you were in an awkward position sewing ?
Altho painkillers would have helped that. Hopefully by tomorrow it’ll be gone.
Sounds like you’ve had a busy day with the sewing, I’m sure it’ll turn out just right 😂
You need to give us some pictures so we can admire your sewing 🥰

It might just have been the way I slept, because I sleep in a position that's comfortable til I have to get out of bed and then I remember my back hates it, lol. And as for the sewing, I haven't done an awful lot. There's the square I screwed up but fixed here. The pattern I'm (supposed to be) following is this one: Brave World - Sample Quilt Layouts

Mostly I've been drawing out 6⅞ squares which is much less fun than it sounds, because I'm doing 48 of them, lol. And swearing at the roller cutters too because none of them seem to want to do their jobs. And it's not the blades because I've changed the blades for all of them, but they're still having none of it.

DSC_1152.JPG

It’s amazing how we sleep ….seemingly comfortable and then upon waking something (or everything ) hurts 😂
I’m very impressed with your skills and stamina to cut out those squares !
It’s going to be amazing 😂

I’m very impressed with your skills and stamina to cut out those squares !
It’s going to be amazing 😂

I feel I should emphasise just how much swearing is involved, lol. And then once done those squares need flattened out...and then cut in half diagonally. And then maybe I should choose some colours to go with them lol.

The plan is to go 6x4, which is 24 blocks, and you need two of the 6⅞ per block. I got lucky, I hadn't thought the charcoal would stretch that far.

Wow that IS amazing - a lot of work but will be very worthwhile tho.
Just the sort of thing that’s good to pick up and leave as you like.
No ‘has to be done right now’ 😂
Charcoal is a great colour to the add all sorts of colours/ patterns etc to.
Happy sewing and I hope you’re pain free when you wake up 🥰

What I'd like to know is where I bought the fabric from. I love the colour and I'd love some more but I can't find any record of my having bought any grey cotton that dark.

Back