• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Surgery for Bladder stone in urethra

She has been seen by the vet who did the surgery, they are a little concerned she hasn’t started to eat by herself but her weight loss isn’t too much, I’m still syringe feeding and they can’t feel gas or anything like that. She is on baytril now and more Emeprid and metacam. Basically keep doing what I’m doing and hope we turn a corner before she is back for a check up in 5 days, her scar/wound is a bit hard but otherwise healing well. I feel silly for keep taking her to the vets when they say she has been through major surgery and probably needs more time to get better

Please don’t feel silly - you know her best and you want the best for her. I’m glad they feel she is not doing too badly and it’s good she is doing ok overall with her weight, although I’m sure that’s exhausting for you. You are doing a great job and all vets would much rather an owner who cares enough to bring them in. It’s never a bad thing to check on a pig who is struggling after a surgery. It was right to check and you are doing all the right things. Keep us posted.

I had to syringe feed a piggy for 8 weeks once. It really feels like they are never going to recover. Just keep going. You are doing an amazing job.

You’re not being silly at all. A vet would much rather see an anxious owner rather than one who doesn’t care. I was at the vets almost daily with my Ella a year ago.

I’m glad Cherry isn’t doing too bad considering and that the vet isn’t too concerned. I know how tiring it is as I was syringe feeding Ella every two hours for 4 weeks and it’s exhausting but you’re doing a fantastic job

I’ve always been told to give baytril twice a day but you may want to check with your vet first x

You’re not being silly at all. A vet would much rather see an anxious owner rather than one who doesn’t care. I was at the vets almost daily with my Ella a year ago.

I’m glad Cherry isn’t doing too bad considering and that the vet isn’t too concerned. I know how tiring it is as I was syringe feeding Ella every two hours for 4 weeks and it’s exhausting but you’re doing a fantastic job

I’ve always been told to give baytril twice a day but you may want to check with your vet first x
I’ve gave her the full dose in one today as that’s what the vets have prescribed, she is still pooping mucus, spoke to the vets who weren’t sure what was going on. I’m quite worried as she is straining and only tiny poos come or little poos on a string of mucus that need to be pulled out from her behind

I hope that settles down for her soon, you really are working hard for cherry.

I hope that settles down for her soon, you really are working hard for cherry.
Thankyou I hope so too, she has only really been nibbling on lettuce, she ate half a leaf but not sure to cut this out while she is having gut issues

cherry still isn’t showing much interest in food, she has nibbled the odd bit of hay, she actually came out of her house today and pottered round when she heard the others wheeking and began eating small strands of hay and even gave her water bottle a lick.. she has pooped but still some with mucus but also some small poops, still squeaking when peeing and pooping, but has managed 40mls of critical care so far, still taking each day as they come

You’re doing really well, I’m glad she’s taking some recovery food and having a few more normal looking poos, even if they are small.

cherry still isn’t showing much interest in food, she has nibbled the odd bit of hay, she actually came out of her house today and pottered round when she heard the others wheeking and began eating small strands of hay and even gave her water bottle a lick.. she has pooped but still some with mucus but also some small poops, still squeaking when peeing and pooping, but has managed 40mls of critical care so far, still taking each day as they come
Any poop is better than no poop! Little steps. Routing for Cherry! You're doing such a good job with her

I’ve gave her the full dose in one today as that’s what the vets have prescribed, she is still pooping mucus, spoke to the vets who weren’t sure what was going on. I’m quite worried as she is straining and only tiny poos come or little poos on a string of mucus that need to be pulled out from her behind

Hi

Are you making sure that she gets enough water by syringe? With eating less, she will get less fluid in her diet.
Mucus and poos on a string are pointing towards some degree dehydration plus a a disturbed microbiome.

The size of the poos is a reflection of her food intake 1-2 days ago; thinner poos mean a reduced food intake; shorter poos of normal healthy thickness can point towards a pain problem in the lower gut/exit area where the poos are formed.

You can give the baytril in one go but be aware that it may impact heavier on the gut microbiome. Normally it is given in as 0.4 ml twice daily. Please be aware that it won't help you with the tummy upset symptoms since baytril tends to also affect the digestive bacteria in the gut to some degree.

All the best

Hi

Are you making sure that she gets enough water by syringe? With eating less, she will get less fluid in her diet.
Mucus and poos on a string are pointing towards some degree dehydration plus a a disturbed microbiome.

The size of the poos is a reflection of her food intake 1-2 days ago; thinner poos mean a reduced food intake; shorter poos of normal healthy thickness can point towards a pain problem in the lower gut/exit area where the poos are formed.

You can give the baytril in one go but be aware that it may impact heavier on the gut microbiome. Normally it is given in as 0.4 ml twice daily. Please be aware that it won't help you with the tummy upset symptoms since baytril tends to also affect the digestive bacteria in the gut to some degree.

All the best
Hi I’m giving water yes,she seems very uncomfortable when pooing still but they do look better than they were. I know with the baytril that this could potentially make her tummy problems worse I’ve been through it before 😞

Hi

All the best
I’m giving water yes, she seems very uncomfortable when pooing still but they do look better than they were. I know

That’s great news. So happy she’s interested in food.

Mixed news she is coming out more and eating more hay and even did a popcorn! But her squeaky wees seem worse, before I gave her painkiller she did a wee and jumped up in pain it was awful it broke my heart she is back at the vets on Wednesday and I emailed today and I can up her metacam dose to see if this helps, her wees are still squeaky but not had a repeat of this morning since she had her bigger dose of metacam. I feel so awful she actually seems happy apart from when she is weeing, she has even done plenty more poops. She is still on Emeprid, metacam and baytril, I just hope her painful wees get better ❤️‍🩹

Mixed news she is coming out more and eating more hay and even did a popcorn! But her squeaky wees seem worse, before I gave her painkiller she did a wee and jumped up in pain it was awful it broke my heart she is back at the vets on Wednesday and I emailed today and I can up her metacam dose to see if this helps, her wees are still squeaky but not had a repeat of this morning since she had her bigger dose of metacam. I feel so awful she actually seems happy apart from when she is weeing, she has even done plenty more poops. She is still on Emeprid, metacam and baytril, I just hope her painful wees get better ❤️‍🩹
How long ago was her surgery? When my piggie had bladder surgery I was told it was normal to have bloody and/or squeaky wees wees for up 2 weeks after surgery.

Such good news though that she is coming out and eating more and you even got a popcorn, go Cherry! 🫶

How long ago was her surgery? When my piggie had bladder surgery I was told it was normal to have bloody and/or squeaky wees wees for up 2 weeks after surgery.

Such good news though that she is coming out and eating more and you even got a popcorn, go Cherry! 🫶
Hi her surgery was 9/10 days ago they did say she would have squeaky/ blood wees for a while after it’s just distressing and I’ve never had to deal with a bladder piggy/ surgery before! She is coming out more and it’s nice to see, she is still having syringe food which she still hates 🤣

You've got this! It sounds like things are going in the right direction. Hang in there. :) Sending hugs!

Cherrys appetite is starting to come back and she is eating more hay now (not loads) and we have more poop! question is should I reduced the syringe food to see if she will eat more hay? I’m just worried that her weight will drop a lot. But she really doesn’t want the syringe feeds but we are managing to do them. We have gone from about 70ml a day to around 40ish ml the last 3 days. Or should I go the other way and up the feeds? 😬 these are her weights same time each morning 5.30am

Two days after surgery 1100g
Monday 17th 1075g
Tuesday 18th 1075g
Wednesday 19th 1050g
Thursday 20th 1047g
Friday 21st 1025g
Saturday 22nd 1031g
Sunday 23rd 1036g
Monday 24th 1027g
Tuesday 25th 1027g
Wednesday 26th 1023g

Cherrys appetite is starting to come back and she is eating more hay now (not loads) and we have more poop! question is should I reduced the syringe food to see if she will eat more hay? I’m just worried that her weight will drop a lot. But she really doesn’t want the syringe feeds but we are managing to do them. We have gone from about 70ml a day to around 40ish ml the last 3 days. Or should I go the other way and up the feeds? 😬 these are her weights same time each morning 5.30am

Two days after surgery 1100g
Monday 17th 1075g
Tuesday 18th 1075g
Wednesday 19th 1050g
Thursday 20th 1047g
Friday 21st 1025g
Saturday 22nd 1031g
Sunday 23rd 1036g
Monday 24th 1027g
Tuesday 25th 1027g
Wednesday 26th 1023g
So thrilled Cherry has been continuing to improve, youve done such a good job and Cherry is a little trooper!
When you have reduced from 70 down to 40ml have you been decreasing the amount but at the same frequency or feeding the same amount but decreasing the frequency or a bit of both?

So thrilled Cherry has been continuing to improve, youve done such a good job and Cherry is a little trooper!
When you have reduced from 70 down to 40ml have you been decreasing the amount but at the same frequency or feeding the same amount but decreasing the frequency or a bit of both?
She is really is trying her best and improving each day! I do feeds of 10ml at a time but with me being back at work I’m no longer doing the night feeds, just one late at night before bed

Back