• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Surgery for Bladder stone in urethra

Glad she is eating so well, try not to worry see what she weighs tomorrow, as she may have just peed before the weigh in. She may be up tomorrow, it is hard for you, we all understand how exhausting it is but she is doing well
Thanks I thought that about the pee although she did about 3 pees on me 🤣 whilst she was out, it’s so hard not to worry or obsess over it. ( I have an anxiety disorder which doesn’t help) Her poos look so much better normal size and shape which is good, 😊

Thanks I thought that about the pee although she did about 3 pees on me 🤣 whilst she was out, it’s so hard not to worry or obsess over it. ( I have an anxiety disorder which doesn’t help) Her poos look so much better normal size and shape which is good, 😊
It’s perfectly normal to worry, recovery takes some time as she’s been through a big operation. You are both doing really well 😊

Cherry was down again on her morning weigh in at 1004g from 1007g she is still the same not eating much hay so I’ll increase the syringe feeding more. We have a vet appointment tomorrow as her bum is wet again and she is leaking pee and trying to pee every couple of minutes with loud squeaks ☹️ it’s heartbreaking hearing her in pain. She is already on the maximum dog metacam dose with no difference. Vets said they could prescribe bupe orally but she had such a nasty reaction to the injection of 0.38 last time I’m scared to try it but she can’t keep going on in pain.

Sorry you’re both still going through this. You’re doing so well.

I’m not a medical expert by any means but maybe check what else the vet is willing to offer safely if bupe seems too strong. I know our exotic vets and other vets mentioned on here have prescribed gabapentin alongside metacam before for example.

Others will know more than me on this one but just a thought that you might not be restricted to bupe?

Cherry was down again on her morning weigh in at 1004g from 1007g she is still the same not eating much hay so I’ll increase the syringe feeding more. We have a vet appointment tomorrow as her bum is wet again and she is leaking pee and trying to pee every couple of minutes with loud squeaks ☹️ it’s heartbreaking hearing her in pain. She is already on the maximum dog metacam dose with no difference. Vets said they could prescribe bupe orally but she had such a nasty reaction to the injection of 0.38 last time I’m scared to try it but she can’t keep going on in pain.

would your vets consider gabapentin?

Oh poor little Cherry and poor you. I hope your vet can offer some suggestions. Gabapentin is a good pain control drug

They have never mentioned it but I will be sure to ask tomorrow. They just said bupe was the only next thing she could have but I’m seeing a different vet than who I usually see tomorrow.

Just in view of the bad reaction.

Can you feed her last thing before you go to bed and then an early feed in the morning. Night feeds are really exhausting and as you know are unsustainable for your own health. Your health is important too, so take care. Is there any chance you can add an extra feed during the day?

Can you feed her last thing before you go to bed and then an early feed in the morning. Night feeds are really exhausting and as you know are unsustainable for your own health. Your health is important too, so take care. Is there any chance you can add an extra feed during the day?
I know it’s so hard, I leave for work at 6.30 and get home at 3.15
I give her 20mls at 5am, 3.30pm, 6.30pm, 8.30pm I’m usually going to bed about 10 to get up at 5 but probably need to fit another feed in somewhere but it’s so tiring aswell with working full time, and the feeds take about an hour each time too.

I know it’s so hard, I leave for work at 6.30 and get home at 3.15
I give her 20mls at 5am, 3.30pm, 6.30pm, 8.30pm I’m usually going to bed about 10 to get up at 5 but probably need to fit another feed in somewhere but it’s so tiring aswell with working full time, and the feeds take about an hour each time too.
Oh I am so sorry, you must be absolutely exhausted, is there anyone who could help you?

Cherry is now on septrin as they think she may have an infection as she is now having some bloody pees. Vets agreed she needs some more pain management. They are contacting an exotic vets to see what other painkiller they can prescribe her along side the metacam that won’t slow down her gut too much and said they will ring me tomorrow with what they can prescribe. I did mention gabapentin but she said this can slow the gut down and mentioned paracetamol instead but will see what the exotics say.

I’m currently giving her the emeraid intensive care but it’s out of stock does anyone know if the sustain would be suitable?

I’m currently giving her the emeraid intensive care but it’s out of stock does anyone know if the sustain would be suitable?
Hi

Any recovery formula is fine. Don't get hung up on the label. You are doing a great job.

A mini gets you home just as much as a 4x4 or a sports car. It has done so with piggies of mine long before there was something like emeraid or even emeraid critical care, which is a pretty new kid on the block anyway. ;)

Thanks both for your help. You’ve all been so helpful to me these past few weeks and kept me sane! I really hope if cherrys pain and/or infection get under control then she will begin to eat more, still waiting to her from the vets about pain relief but they prescribed 0.2mls a day of co trimoxazole which I assume is the septrin.

Thanks both for your help. You’ve all been so helpful to me these past few weeks and kept me sane! I really hope if cherrys pain and/or infection get under control then she will begin to eat more, still waiting to her from the vets about pain relief but they prescribed 0.2mls a day of co trimoxazole which I assume is the septrin.

Yes, that is the septrin - the adult version, so it is stronger and therefore requires a smaller dosage than the old pediatric septrin/bactrim. It is generally not as harsh on the gut as baytril and is generally better tolerated.

Spoke to the vets yesterday, the vet she saw was off and is going to ring the exotics today about pain relief so hopefully we hear back today. Cherrys weight has been the same at 1002g the past 2 days and her squeaky wees aren’t as often she is doing more larger pees rather than lots of little ones. Still in pain and hunching when pooing but her bum has remained dry and she is showing more interest in hay :)

That’s good to hear. You must be exhausted.
I am so exhausted it’s like a full time job looking after cherry along side working a full time job too, I’m in the middle of training for a half marathon but I’m too tired to do any running/ training. but she is trying so very hard to get better so I’ll always try my best. Can you believe it’s been 3 weeks since her surgery already!

Spoken to the vets they are prescribing gabapentin for me to pick up after work later. The exotics said that Guinea pigs can get stress related uti like cats? and was she a rescue pig?( she isn’t I’ve had her since 8 weeks old) I feel bad now like I’ve done something wrong, I wouldn’t say she was stressed apart from the syringe feeds she doesn’t like at all. They’ve said to take a urine sample in for testing and if she doesn’t improve they will need to re x-ray as she may have another stone already 😕

I think you are doing an incredible job - reading all the posts it's been horrendous for you, and you must be exhausted. I am keeping everything crossed for you and your darling piggy.

You haven’t done anything wrong, sometimes these things just happen. I’ve had two guinea pigs in the past who have had IC and UTI’s and neither of them were stressed so please do not beat yourself up. You’re doing an amazing job. Fingers firmly crossed that Cherry doesn’t have another stone x

Back