• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Surgery for Bladder stone in urethra

Vet visit done, she has lost total of 100g since last Thursday when she was admitted, but they aren’t too worrried, her Bladder was empty and I’ve seen her weeing, abdomen wasn’t tender or swollen no signs of stasis. She has pooed some more still a funny colour and squishy but more than she has been. She was eating some hay in her carrier. She had subcutaneous fluids and they have prescribed dog metacam at 0.4ml twice a day 😀 they’ve told me to monitor her for 24 hours and stop syringe feeding her as much as not to stress her out and just observe her and not pick her up every couple of hours as she is very stressed out and won’t take the syringes but will eat herbs and grass 🤦🏽‍♀️ so let’s pray she starts eating more hay and has a drink as she still hasn’t drank from her bottle

Well done and that’s good about the dog metacam too, should make it easier to administer. It’s good she’s moving and eating and pooing.

Glad she’s got good pain management now.

If she is still losing weight and not eating enough for herself then she needs to be syringe fed still. With the pain meds she will hopefully perk up now and be more accepting of the feeds. Good luck.

Glad she’s got good pain management now.

If she is still losing weight and not eating enough for herself then she needs to be syringe fed still. With the pain meds she will hopefully perk up now and be more accepting of the feeds. Good luck.
Thankyou, That’s what I thought I’m still going to try and get some syringe feed into her, if if pain is stopping her from eating then like you said hopefully the meds help her,

Does she show any interest in eating critical care on a small plate rather than syringe? She might ignore it in which case back to syringe but worth a try.

Or a spoon? Glad you got the dog metacam and a proper dose. I think everything looks like it’s going in the right direction. weigh her everyday at the same time, this way you can gauge how much she is eating. If her weight drops then increase syringe food but if she starts to gain or maintain her weight then ease off. She’s been through a big op so don’t expect her to pile on the weight, unlike humans it’s instantly lost and takes a very long time to gain their original weight, if at all

Or a spoon? Glad you got the dog metacam and a proper dose. I think everything looks like it’s going in the right direction. weigh her everyday at the same time, this way you can gauge how much she is eating. If her weight drops then increase syringe food but if she starts to gain or maintain her weight then ease off. She’s been through a big op so don’t expect her to pile on the weight, unlike humans it’s instantly lost and takes a very long time to gain their original weight, if at all
I’ve tried the bowl and spoon and she wasn’t interested a side from a sniff, she seems like she wants to eat but then doesn’t. She will pick at the occasional stem of hay or veg but that’s it. When the syringe comes out she literally fights me and runs off, I’ve tried to wrap her up but she gets out of it, I’ve never seen her like this before I’m worried I’m not going to be able to get her weight stable if she won’t take the food 🥺

I’ve tried the bowl and spoon and she wasn’t interested a side from a sniff, she seems like she wants to eat but then doesn’t. She will pick at the occasional stem of hay or veg but that’s it. When the syringe comes out she literally fights me and runs off, I’ve tried to wrap her up but she gets out of it, I’ve never seen her like this before I’m worried I’m not going to be able to get her weight stable if she won’t take the food 🥺
Have you got someone to hold her for you while you feed her?

How about putting her in the corner of the sofa so she can’t go backwards and you sit in front of her.

It is a worry and a balancing act. You are doing a great job, don’t doubt it. if she is happy with grass then that’s fine, hay eating will come when she is ready. See how this new dosage works. When I used to syringe feed my Ted (he had dental problems) he would put up quite a fight at the beginning and he was literally starving. I learnt to put his bottom against my tummy so when he backed away from the syringe he had nowhere to go, it really helped. You do have to take the mindset that you are being “firm” to be kind which goes against our instincts as they like to run circles around us don’t they!

I know sometimes it's not the best but short term maybe could you mix the critical care with baby food one of mine loves the apple and strawberry puree and happily had his meds mixed with that so perhaps worth a try just until things improve a little and the pain meds kick in 🤔

It is a worry and a balancing act. You are doing a great job, don’t doubt it. if she is happy with grass then that’s fine, hay eating will come when she is ready. See how this new dosage works. When I used to syringe feed my Ted (he had dental problems) he would put up quite a fight at the beginning and he was literally starving. I learnt to put his bottom against my tummy so when he backed away from the syringe he had nowhere to go, it really helped. You do have to take the mindset that you are being “firm” to be kind which goes against our instincts as they like to run circles around us don’t they!
Honestly they have me wrapped around their little paws! She just puts up a fight and is grinding her teeth so loud I know she must be in so much pain I just hope the new pain meds kick in soon. I decided to try the feed again about an hour ago she put up a good fight but managed 6mls this time, and she has just had a bit of hay when she went back into her cage 🤞

Glad they have increased the pain meds and you managed to get a bit more food in to her.

What kind of cage setup do you have? Do you have any fleece tunnels? I have found when I was struggling to get food into my pig post bladder surgery if I could get her to go through her fleece tunnel I could scoop her up in the tunnel and feed her that way as she was confined somewhere soft with not much wiggle room

Glad they have increased the pain meds and you managed to get a bit more food in to her.

What kind of cage setup do you have? Do you have any fleece tunnels? I have found when I was struggling to get food into my pig post bladder surgery if I could get her to go through her fleece tunnel I could scoop her up in the tunnel and feed her that way as she was confined somewhere soft with not much wiggle room
I have 6x2 c&c on fleece bedding, I do have a a small fleece hidey that I used when they were smaller but she would still fit in it although they prefer their hideys. I will give it a go

Honestly they have me wrapped around their little paws! She just puts up a fight and is grinding her teeth so loud I know she must be in so much pain I just hope the new pain meds kick in soon. I decided to try the feed again about an hour ago she put up a good fight but managed 6mls this time, and she has just had a bit of hay when she went back into her cage 🤞
Bless, she sure sounds determined. You're doing so well looking after her, I can't imagine how tiring it is but hopefully it gets easier and she starts eating more on her own once the pain meds take effect 🩷

Bless, she sure sounds determined. You're doing so well looking after her, I can't imagine how tiring it is but hopefully it gets easier and she starts eating more on her own once the pain meds take effect 🩷
I’m trying my best for her I really am, her weight stayed roughly the same it was 1050 yesterday at 5am and 1047 today at 5am. I hope the weight doesn’t mean I’ve not done enough

I’m trying my best for her I really am, her weight stayed roughly the same it was 1050 yesterday at 5am and 1047 today at 5am. I hope the weight doesn’t mean I’ve not done enough
A few grams here and there are nothing to worry about, or even day to day unless it's a significant amount. If she's holding roughly the same weight across a week, then that's good! I'm sure her appetite will improve now she's not in as much pain. You're doing a great job. 🙂

Going to ring the vets again when they open, cherry is uncomfortable to lie down, still the same not really moving, not eating apart from the odd nibble of hay. Her vagina has a green/blue colour to it ? And even though I’m syringe feeding her I haven’t seen a poo for about 4 days 😞

I’m so sorry to hear this. I don’t have any experience with bladder or genital issues in pigs and i hope the vets or others can advise and what might help her.

If it is time to let her go, I know how devastating that will be for you and there is no doubt you have moved heaven and earth to give her the best chance possible. So whatever you decide next, it will be a decision made from love and care which is all any of us can do.

So sorry you and cherry are in this situation, it’s really hard. You are doing such a good job as a truly caring owner.

I’m so sorry. It’s such a struggle with a sick piggy. So stressful. Talk to the vet. They may be able to tweak medication or offer something else to try. Sending you massive hugs and healing vibes to Cherry.

She may be eating all of her poops. I had a piggy do this when he was ill. And he even ate his friends poops too.

I am so sorry that Cherry is still not doing well 😞 Have an honest chat with your vet as there may be more options to try but if it is time to let her go, you’ll be making the decision out of love

I didn’t think my late Ella was pooing when she was poorly last year but it turned out she was eating all her poos x

I don’t want to get her pts she is still strong and wants to eat but she doesn’t. She sniffs food and bites it then backs off. I think she may have some gi issues, she could potentially have an infection I’m in at the vets at 9.45 and will discuss all this. I’m just so exhausted I want her to get better but then I doubt myself thinking am I being cruel to keep her going like this 😩

Back