• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Surgery for Bladder stone in urethra

Spoken to the vets they are prescribing gabapentin for me to pick up after work later. The exotics said that Guinea pigs can get stress related uti like cats? and was she a rescue pig?( she isn’t I’ve had her since 8 weeks old) I feel bad now like I’ve done something wrong, I wouldn’t say she was stressed apart from the syringe feeds she doesn’t like at all. They’ve said to take a urine sample in for testing and if she doesn’t improve they will need to re x-ray as she may have another stone already 😕
It sounds like they've tried to offer a possible explanation for what's happening rather than say you've done something wrong, so I wouldn't put any further thought into it. 🙂

Sometimes you have to choose the lesser evil. In this case, it's syringe feeding vs losing weight!

It sounds like they've tried to offer a possible explanation for what's happening rather than say you've done something wrong, so I wouldn't put any further thought into it. 🙂

Sometimes you have to choose the lesser evil. In this case, it's syringe feeding vs losing weight!
Exactly what the vets said it’s the lesser of two evils! She took the feed after work very well I think she was hungry! Just picked up the gabapentin she is on 0.05ml twice a day but they can up it too 0.1ml twice a day if needed so let’s hope it helps her :nod:

The vet said she can have gabapentin and loxicom along side each other but I didn’t ask wether I should space them out, she’s had her gabapentin at 4.30 but was due the loxicom at the same time I haven’t gave her the loxicom yet

The vet said she can have gabapentin and loxicom along side each other but I didn’t ask wether I should space them out, she’s had her gabapentin at 4.30 but was due the loxicom at the same time I haven’t gave her the loxicom yet
Not an expert here, but I've never been told to space meds out. My vet has always emphasized giving them on time.

Spoken to the vets they are prescribing gabapentin for me to pick up after work later. The exotics said that Guinea pigs can get stress related uti like cats? and was she a rescue pig?( she isn’t I’ve had her since 8 weeks old) I feel bad now like I’ve done something wrong, I wouldn’t say she was stressed apart from the syringe feeds she doesn’t like at all. They’ve said to take a urine sample in for testing and if she doesn’t improve they will need to re x-ray as she may have another stone already 😕
This is just purely from my own experience, not with a guniea pig but with a rabbit instead..whilst I fully appreciate exotic vets know their stuff and their knowledge is invaluable, I personally feel and have experienced that when you bring another vet into the mix which doesn't know your pet or has never seen your pet that they give a very text book answer, which could be right but could also be wrong because they don't know your pet. I think it's harder to apply the science/medicine without knowing the patient, because in theory they could be right, but in practice they might not be as they don't know what makes your specific pet tick if that makes sense.

I hope she hasn't got another stone 🤞 and please do not blame yourself for "stressing her out", you've taken such good care of her. I hope the new med regime helps and she gets over this little stagnant period in her recovery and continues to improve xx

This is just purely from my own experience, not with a guniea pig but with a rabbit instead..whilst I fully appreciate exotic vets know their stuff and their knowledge is invaluable, I personally feel and have experienced that when you bring another vet into the mix which doesn't know your pet or has never seen your pet that they give a very text book answer, which could be right but could also be wrong because they don't know your pet. I think it's harder to apply the science/medicine without knowing the patient, because in theory they could be right, but in practice they might not be as they don't know what makes your specific pet tick if that makes sense.

I hope she hasn't got another stone 🤞 and please do not blame yourself for "stressing her out", you've taken such good care of her. I hope the new med regime helps and she gets over this little stagnant period in her recovery and continues to improve xx
Thankyou this is really helpful! She is doing ok, had a few squeaky pees but not no where near as many as she had and not as loud. She isn’t hunching when pooing either. She is taking the syringe food better and eating much more hay and grass. Still cautiously optimistic but it’s nice to see her active and eating. Here she is enjoying her grass :nod:

Attachments

• IMG_9182.webp
    IMG_9182.webp
    101.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9185.webp
    IMG_9185.webp
    97.5 KB · Views: 1

Hi

What your vet means is what we call a sterile cystitis or sterile IC. This typically affects guinea pigs born to a stressed mother who experience her high stress levels as their normal default setting while still in womb. Sterile IC has now overtaken bacterial urine infections (UTI) in indoors settings as a consequence of commercial mass breeding on a fixed budget for nationwide pet shop chains in industrial Western countries. Cats are the other species prone to urinatry tract problems and they struggle with a very similar problem (feline sterile cystitis or FSC). Threatment is roughly the same for both species. :(
You can find out more about sterile IC in this link here (chapter 3): Wiebke's Guide to Pees and Stones

But good that you have got the gabapentin. I hope that it helps. Has your vet explained that you need to be very careful in gradually lowering the dosage if you have to stop it and that you cannot take it off suddenly?

Hi

What your vet means is what we call a sterile cystitis or sterile IC. This typically affects guinea pigs born to a stressed mother who experience her high stress levels as their normal default setting while still in womb. Sterile IC has now overtaken bacterial urine infections (UTI) in indoors settings as a consequence of commercial mass breeding for nationwide pet shop chains in industrial Western countries.
You can find out more about sterile IC in this link here (chapter 3): Wiebke's Guide to Pees and Stones

But good that you have got the gabapentin. I hope that it helps. Has your vet explained that you need to be very careful in gradually lowering the dosage if you have to stop it and that you cannot take it off suddenly?
That makes more sense with them asking me if she was a rescue or lives in a stressful environment was confusing.

In regards to the gabapentin they haven’t mentioned anything and have only gave me a few days worth what should I do?

That makes more sense with them asking me if she was a rescue or lives in a stressful environment was confusing.

In regards to the gabapentin they haven’t mentioned anything and have only gave me a few days worth what should I do?

How big is the dosage you have been prescribed?

0.05ml twice a day but we could increase to 0.1ml twice a day if needed but I haven’t increased of yet

You can get away with the lower dosage (because that is the lowest) but if you need to up it please make sure that you get more before you run out or go back to the lower dosage as the bottom sign off dosage for at least 1-2 days before stopping.

You can get away with the lower dosage but if you need to up it please make sure that you get more before you run out.
I will do, I need to make another appointment to discuss how she is and for another x ray if no improvement. Would I still need to lower the dosage gradually on 0.05 or 0.1ml?

I will do, I need to make another appointment to discuss how she is and for another x ray if no improvement. Would I still need to lower the dosage gradually on 0.05 or 0.1ml?

Hi

Our posts have crossed.

Thankyou this is really helpful! She is doing ok, had a few squeaky pees but not no where near as many as she had and not as loud. She isn’t hunching when pooing either. She is taking the syringe food better and eating much more hay and grass. Still cautiously optimistic but it’s nice to see her active and eating. Here she is enjoying her grass :nod:
Oh look at her, she looks happy, such a pretty girl! Glad she seems to have improved and seems more comfortable, fingers crossed she continues to improve. I agree, I always get excited heart flutters when a poorly pig is active and starts eating

Thought I’d give an update on cherry, she is doing well, the gabapentin is really helping and she is on it antibiotics for another few weeks as the vets recommendation. She is still occasionally squeaking while peeing but it’s very quiet It’s not gone completely which I’m still worried about. She is eating veggies again, her favourite being a slice of pepper. She is eating nearly as much hay as before and gets excited when I put the new hay in each time throughout the day! but I’m also still syringe feeding too 60mls a day. She is refusing the feeds after a few syringes again but then eats hay when she goes back in the cage or grass when offered.
These are her weights from the last week, does anyone know of these are stable or still cause for concern? All taken at the same time each morning

Tuesday 2nd 996g
Wednesday 3rd 1002g
Thursday 4th 1002g
Friday 5th 1027g
Saturday 6th 1030g
Sunday 7th 1025g
Monday 8th 1021g
Tuesday 9th 1016g
Wednesday 10th 1040g

So glad she’s doing better, great about the appetite and the reduced squeaks. Well done.

Thought I’d give an update on cherry, she is doing well, the gabapentin is really helping and she is on it antibiotics for another few weeks as the vets recommendation. She is still occasionally squeaking while peeing but it’s very quiet It’s not gone completely which I’m still worried about. She is eating veggies again, her favourite being a slice of pepper. She is eating nearly as much hay as before and gets excited when I put the new hay in each time throughout the day! but I’m also still syringe feeding too 60mls a day. She is refusing the feeds after a few syringes again but then eats hay when she goes back in the cage or grass when offered.
These are her weights from the last week, does anyone know of these are stable or still cause for concern? All taken at the same time each morning

Tuesday 2nd 996g
Wednesday 3rd 1002g
Thursday 4th 1002g
Friday 5th 1027g
Saturday 6th 1030g
Sunday 7th 1025g
Monday 8th 1021g
Tuesday 9th 1016g
Wednesday 10th 1040g
It looks like it's trending in the right direction! I'd say that's stable. :)

Everything looks to be going well. The trend is stable which is good, aim for stable weight, don’t expect a weight gain as such it takes so long for them to put it back on unlike us humans. Well done you and Cherry x

Tuesday 2nd 996g
Wednesday 3rd 1002g
Thursday 4th 1002g
Friday 5th 1027g
Saturday 6th 1030g
Sunday 7th 1025g
Monday 8th 1021g
Tuesday 9th 1016g
Wednesday 10th 1040g

Hi

Please a deep breath. There is a clear upwards trend despite the daily ups and downs.

I would continue with feeding support but start offering the feed in a bowl, see how much of it she is eating on her own and then just top off with the syringe, depending on how well she's eaten. That is making the step from support feeding to top up feeding. What you cannot control by eye is her 80% hay intake - but that is what you are replacing with the syringe feed; not the veg and pellets.
Topping up is a sliding affair so you need the feedback from scales to help with assessing her independent hay/food intake so you get an idea how much top up she will need. Ideally you can gradually wind down the syringing as the eight continues to go up. But you are coming out of the crisis and are definitely in recovery territory now. :tu:

Hi

Please a deep breath. There is a clear upwards trend despite the daily ups and downs.

I would continue with feeding support but start offering the feed in a bowl, see how much of it she is eating on her own and then just top off with the syringe, depending on how well she's eaten. That is making the step from support feeding to top up feeding. What you cannot control by eye is her 80% hay intake - but that is what you are replacing with the syringe feed; not the veg and pellets.
Topping up is a sliding affair so you need the feedback from scales to help with assessing her independent hay/food intake so you get an idea how much top up she will need. Ideally you can gradually wind down the syringing as the eight continues to go up. But you are coming out of the crisis and are definitely in recovery territory now. :tu:
Hi

Thanks I feel better :)

I do feel like we are making progress, but that’s why I’ve kept on at the syringe feeding. I’ve been doing 60mls a day but yesterday and this morning she really didn’t want any more after 7mls , when she has been having roughly 15mls at a time the past few weeks, she takes different amounts each feed the past day or two.

she managed 55mls yesterday and she does take it voluntarily from the syringe most of the time. I’ve tried her with it on a spoon but she doesn’t take it but I always give it a try each day just incase.

Hi

Thanks I feel better :)

I do feel like we are making progress, but that’s why I’ve kept on at the syringe feeding. I’ve been doing 60mls a day but yesterday and this morning she really didn’t want any more after 7mls , when she has been having roughly 15mls at a time the past few weeks, she takes different amounts each feed the past day or two.

she managed 55mls yesterday and she does take it voluntarily from the syringe most of the time. I’ve tried her with it on a spoon but she doesn’t take it but I always give it a try each day just incase.

See whether she will take more feed from a bowl. Recovering piggies can refuse the syringe because they no longer need it but they can also do so because they are not feeling well. Since we cannot ask them what is the matter, we have to work it out indirectly.

A slow recovery is unfortunately very much an up and down process; one step forward and two steps back. It is frustrating but you are on the upward curve as long as each 'high' spike hits a greater weight and each low is above the last one. That is also the reason why there is no firm cut off point for syringe feeding support. You have to play it by ear since every recovery is individual.

Cherry is doing good, all squeaky pees have stopped and her weight went up to 1067g yesterday unfortunately I didn’t give her much support feed yesterday and her weight is down to 1023g this morning.

My other girl pumpkin started with a bad URI and I’ve been trying to juggle both their meds and support feeds :(

Cherry is doing good, all squeaky pees have stopped and her weight went up to 1067g yesterday unfortunately I didn’t give her much support feed yesterday and her weight is down to 1023g this morning.

My other girl pumpkin started with a bad URI and I’ve been trying to juggle both their meds and support feeds :(

Poor you!

Oh you poor thing! I was so pleased to read about cherry and now pumpkin! Hopefully she’ll be on the soon and you can get into a more normal routine. They’re lucky to have your care.

Back