• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Surgery for Bladder stone in urethra

I would try and carry on at 40 ml for a few days longer. Your clue is her weight, don’t expect huge weight gains if any for now, weight gain is really hard but as long as she is maintaining her weight then you could try and reduce by about 5ml a day and see if her weight maintains. You have done remarkably well and your dedication to Cherry is lovely x

I would try and carry on at 40 ml for a few days longer. Your clue is her weight, don’t expect huge weight gains if any for now, weight gain is really hard but as long as she is maintaining her weight then you could try and reduce by about 5ml a day and see if her weight maintains. You have done remarkably well and your dedication to Cherry is lovely x
Thankyou yes I will continue on 40ml for a bit longer as she has maintained on that but any drastic loss and I will up it again, Thankyou all again for all your help and support you have been invaluable to me this past week and a half 💕 here’s my sweet girl enjoying the breeze after her meds

Attachments

• IMG_9104.webp
    IMG_9104.webp
    97.8 KB · Views: 1
Cherrys appetite is starting to come back and she is eating more hay now (not loads) and we have more poop! question is should I reduced the syringe food to see if she will eat more hay? I’m just worried that her weight will drop a lot. But she really doesn’t want the syringe feeds but we are managing to do them. We have gone from about 70ml a day to around 40ish ml the last 3 days. Or should I go the other way and up the feeds? 😬 these are her weights same time each morning 5.30am

Two days after surgery 1100g
Monday 17th 1075g
Tuesday 18th 1075g
Wednesday 19th 1050g
Thursday 20th 1047g
Friday 21st 1025g
Saturday 22nd 1031g
Sunday 23rd 1036g
Monday 24th 1027g
Tuesday 25th 1027g
Wednesday 26th 1023g

If the weight is overall still going down it means that she is not feeding enough on her own so yo need to up the amount. I would recommend to go back to 70 ml and see how that works.

If the weight is overall still going down it means that she is not feeding enough on her own so yo need to up the amount. I would recommend to go back to 70 ml and see how that works.
Thank you I will go back to 70ml I wasn’t sure how much daily weight loss was ok, the first couple of days I struggled to get any feed in her as she was so out of it on the bupe, but if the 40 isn’t enough then back to 70 it is, hopefully I can increase the amount I give at a time as I have to schedule the feeds around work,

Thank you I will go back to 70ml I wasn’t sure how much daily weight loss was ok, the first couple of days I struggled to get any feed in her as she was so out of it on the bupe, but if the 40 isn’t enough then back to 70 it is, hopefully I can increase the amount I give at a time as I have to schedule the feeds around work,

See whether she is eating some of it on her own from a bowl (like mushed up pellets), which would make it easier for you. As long as she is still losing weight, she needs more feeding support. That is what the daily weigh-in first thing in the morning is for. The weight should be stable or by now ideally starting to go up. I fully appreciate how draining longer term support is; been there and have that t-shirt myself. You will still have to do the bowl feeding outside of the cage to see whether and how much she is taking on.

See whether she is eating some of it on her own from a bowl (like mushed up pellets), which would make it easier for you. As long as she is still losing weight, she needs more feeding support. That is what the daily weigh-in first thing in the morning is for. The weight should be stable or by now ideally starting to go up. I fully appreciate how draining longer term support is; been there and have that t-shirt myself. You will still have to do the bowl feeding outside of the cage to see whether and how much she is taking on.
It sure is exhausting! She won’t eat without me syringing it aside from the odd veg and nibble of hay. Should I be concerned about her weight?

She weighed 1022g yesterday and today was 1033g does that mean I continue with the 70ml as her weight hasn’t gone down?

She weighed 1022g yesterday and today was 1033g does that mean I continue with the 70ml as her weight hasn’t gone down?
I think you are looking for a trend, stable, up or down. While a daily same time weigh in is really helpful the daily weight can fluctuate between 30 gm either way depending upon a full tummy/bladder or an empty one. it’s good that she is up on yesterdays weight, look for more or around the same weight, she seems to have levelled out to me but I’m not a Health expert

Another check up done, vet is pleased with cherrys progress, weight was the same as last week which is due to the syringe feeds too so I’ll keep them up. No signs of infection and she has nice gut sounds. She doesn’t need any follow up appointments unless I feel she needs to be seen. So fingers crossed she keeps improving and begins to eat lots of hay. The vet (who also did the surgery) said she was under GA a very long time and the surgery was very tricky as the stone was stuck her urethra and said they gave cherry at 20% survival rate and didn’t think she would come off the operating table but she has proved them wrong. She was fiesty at the vets which was good to see! She still isn’t better by any means but we have made good progress, still on pain relief as she is still uncomfortable peeing and pooing. It’s been a hard and tiring 2 weeks but I’ll do all I can for my piggies. Please keep us in your thoughts and send healing vibes! 💕

Another check up done, vet is pleased with cherrys progress, weight was the same as last week which is due to the syringe feeds too so I’ll keep them up. No signs of infection and she has nice gut sounds. She doesn’t need any follow up appointments unless I feel she needs to be seen. So fingers crossed she keeps improving and begins to eat lots of hay. The vet (who also did the surgery) said she was under GA a very long time and the surgery was very tricky as the stone was stuck her urethra and said they gave cherry at 20% survival rate and didn’t think she would come off the operating table but she has proved them wrong. She was fiesty at the vets which was good to see! She still isn’t better by any means but we have made good progress, still on pain relief as she is still uncomfortable peeing and pooing. It’s been a hard and tiring 2 weeks but I’ll do all I can for my piggies. Please keep us in your thoughts and send healing vibes! 💕

Just keep going. It can take a long time to recover from a borderline operation but your feeding support is making all the difference. Only scale it down once the weight is going up reliably and further in one day than you are scaling back. I fully appreciate how tough it is on you.

You are doing an amazing job you should be proud Cherry is soooooo lucky to have such a dedicated and loving Guinea parent 💕

Wow, that certainly tells you what an excellent job you're doing. You've both been fighting the odds!

Could you tempt her to eat with some grass? That tempts most piggies to keep eating. :)

Morning.
Or fresh dandelion leaves ours love them 💙
Morning I tried her with little bits of grass last week and she ate a little but then didn’t show any interest so I’m going to try again when I’m home from work now the grass in my garden has grown a little and is easier to cut. I’ve never tried fresh dandelion with her so I can give it a go! She has lost 6g from the daily weigh in so will give her a bit more critical care today than yesterday ❤️‍🩹

Remember that a few g loss or gain can just be the difference between a full or an empty bladder 👍

That's really good news, it must be a relief to see her eating!

It is always so heart-warming when a piggy is showing first signs of interest in food. Fresh grass when in season (always dog pee and pesticide free) or fresh parsley (rather than coriander herb/cilantro) when not are the things that usually go down best in my own experience.

I’m so confused, weighed her this morning and yesterday was 1030 and today was 1007 I did weigh a bit later than usual as I was so tired I didn’t wake up. She ate the most hay and grass I’ve seen yesterday and even some nuggets (which I know aren’t very important) plus 65mls of critical care but weighs the lowest yet 😩 she is still squeaking in pain when toileting but the vets keep saying she may have ulcers from the two catheters they did plus inflammation from surgery which hurts her. I’m just so confused 😕

Glad she is eating so well, try not to worry see what she weighs tomorrow, as she may have just peed before the weigh in. She may be up tomorrow, it is hard for you, we all understand how exhausting it is but she is doing well

Back