Feeding questions - Guinea lover 1982

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 147427
  • Start date Start date
Have you read the feeding guides that were linked for you earlier this month?
They will tell you what foods can safely be fed daily.
Mine get a romaine or red cos lettuce leaf daily.
Cucumber, green beans and coriander are also good daily foods.
I’ve heard green beans are high in calcium

I’ve heard green beans are high in calcium

Kale is definitely higher
If you are worried, don’t feed them often - a green bean or two once a week is absolutely fine.
Mine don’t get green beans often - I only tend to buy them for us perhaps once a month so the piggies get the odd one or two during the week I buy them, but then won’t have them again for a few weeks

I am going to repeat once again. Please read the guides. Don’t just skim read them but read and digest them.

The photograph of the plate with veggies on shows exactly what it is good, safe and nutritious to feed them each day and in the correct quantity. If you copy that plate you cannot go far wrong. You do not need to provide piggies with lots of variety/choice. My piggies get the same veggies every single day. They get pretty much what is shown on that picture of the plate every single day. And they are delighted with it, and they are healthy.

In case the photograph has passed you by, I’m attaching a further 7120B3C9-5D9B-45DF-8DC8-C61B7B7673B6.webpcopy of it here

I am going to repeat once again. Please read the guides. Don’t just skim read them but read and digest them.

The photograph of the plate with veggies on shows exactly what it is good, safe and nutritious to feed them each day and in the correct quantity. If you copy that plate you cannot go far wrong. You do not need to provide piggies with lots of variety/choice. My piggies get the same veggies every single day. They get pretty much what is shown on that picture of the plate every single day. And they are delighted with it, and they are healthy.

In case the photograph has passed you by, I’m attaching a further View attachment 189727copy of it here
Okay no need to be so harsh but i do
Think you need to make your guides a lot clearer

That’s pretty much what I’m giving my piggies anyway a leaf of romaine lettuce each a couple of thin slices of pepper a small chunk of cucumber . Some corriander and mangetout

Okay no need to be so harsh but i do
Think you need to make your guides a lot clearer

We have been extremely patient answering your questions, however we seem to be going round in circles answering the same questions over and over again. The questions you have asked are answered in our guides that have been well researched and well received by countless members and visitors to the forum over many years. Please do bear in mind that we are volunteers, giving our time for free in the interests of guinea pig welfare and that our time is limited.

I agree, our guides are extremely detailed and clear, they are updated regularly with all the information needed.

Well I am on the autistic spectrum and sometimes I find things difficult to understand and need them to be made out a bit clearer maybe you should put beside kale on your list high in calcium should only be feed 1 to 2 times a week

Well I am on the autistic spectrum and sometimes I find things difficult to understand and need them to be made out a bit clearer maybe you should put beside kale on your list high in calcium should only be feed 1 to 2 times a week
I understand the autistic thing of asking things more than once to understand. Forget everything else that's complicated and just feed what's on the feeding guide plate 😀 That's per pig, per day. If they don't like it, they soon will.

Just to say as well, the desire for certainty with autism, to help lower anxiety... It took me many months of reading to get a full picture in my mind of how often I can feed what and when. No one can really get all that straight away.

If you stick with the feeding guide photo at the moment, and keep reading posts on the forum to fine tune your knowledge, you'll be fine 👍

Thank you for explaining that you are on the autistic spectrum.
Knowing that makes a difference as we now understand why you need to ask the same question several times.
I hope you appreciate that there was never any intention to come across as harsh or rude.
We simply didn’t understand why you seemed to be ignoring the information and answers given.

Welcome! There's quite a few other ASD folks on here too - and parents of ASD kids. Maybe it's a guinea pig thing! We all worry at first but eventually it becomes second nature to know what they like and what they don't - some piggies have very clear likes and dislikes too. I have a particularly fussy one (clever one is what I should say!) who will take a piece of veggie from me and drop it quite deliberately on the floor, and then look up again for something else. I thought at first, "oh, Flora must have gone off bell pepper" but she didn't - she just had something else in mind! Once she had eaten her second offering (celery on that occasion) she went back to the pepper later on and scoffed it down. She doesn't speak but her look said a thousand words!

I do think you are trying too much too soon. It takes time for pigs to realise different veggies you feed are safe. Honestly wouldn't bother with fruits or tomato's as the sugar is too high.

What veggies would you like to feed your pigs? I can make you a little chart of veggies/herbs based on what veggies you want to feed or buy for yourself normally. I can add a note of veggies high in vit c, high calcium and how often you can feed them. You sound like you want to do your best for your piggies. Maybe something you can print and put on your fridge may help you?

I do think you are trying too much too soon. It takes time for pigs to realise different veggies you feed are safe. Honestly wouldn't bother with fruits or tomato's as the sugar is too high.

What veggies would you like to feed your pigs? I can make you a little chart of veggies/herbs based on what veggies you want to feed or buy for yourself normally. I can add a note of veggies high in vit c, high calcium and how often you can feed them. You sound like you want to do your best for your piggies. Maybe something you can print and put on your fridge may help you?

I would like to feed them stuff which is good for them like lettuce etc

I would like to feed them stuff which is good for them like lettuce etc
Then use the diet guide, which includes not only a clear explanation, but a photo of what you can safely feed on a daily basis.
Keep it simple and stick to these foods only until you are confident with that and feel like you know what you are doing.
Then one at a time (at a pace that suits you) start introducing new things.

Hi can piggies have small amounts of mixed baby leaf salad daily as I know it has a lot of water content I just wanted to check

As long as it doesn’t contain spinach. I think some of them do though not entirely sure.

Siikibam can I ask why not ones with spinach I give them a very small amount of mixed baby leaf salad

Siikibam can I ask why not ones with spinach I give them a very small amount of mixed baby leaf salad

As previously mentioned in this thread, spinach is too high in calcium to be fed regularly. You should ideally only feed one high calcium veg per week so if it contains spinach, then I would give it once but then pick the spinach out and only give the lettuce for the rest of that week

As previously mentioned in this thread, spinach is too high in calcium to be fed regularly. You should ideally only feed one high calcium veg per week so if it contains spinach, then I would give it once but then pick the spinach out and only give the lettuce for the rest of that week
Okay I’ll remember next time to pick out the spinach

Pull out the spinach for yourself and the piggies get the rest.
Raw spinach is lovely tossed with a bit of Parmesan and a dash of balsamic vinegar.

I tried my piggies with fine green beans again today. I think salsa has decided she likes them now 😀. Is it okay to give them whole

Back