Feeding questions - Guinea lover 1982

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 147427
  • Start date Start date
Mine are on the ‘staples’ and rarely have anything else now. They’re still delighted and will actually finish their pepper before they go for the pellets!

Its always best to understand the nutritional content of different veg so you can make informed meal choices.

High vit C/low calcium/low calorie veg are peppers and coriander- these can be fed daily.

Watery veg/low nutrients but good for hydration and fibre- pick one to feed daily- cucumber, lettuce (little gem, romaine, babyleaf, butterhead)

High calcium veg- broccoli, kale, parsley, dill, spinach- one or two portions per week, dont feed too much or too often

High calorie veg- babycorn, carrot, fruit- a small amount (1 slice of carrot, half a babycorn, half an apple slice) once or twice a week.

Most days my piggies get some sort of leafy breakfast (I rotate over a week romaine or little gem lettuce 1 or 2 days, coriander 1 or 2 days, babyleaf or butterhead salad mix bag 1 or 2 days, broccoli or spinach or kale 1 or 2 days) then peppers every evening. If they get high calcium leaves I also give cucumber to flush/dilute the calcium- if they get watery lettuce they may also get a small piece of treat veg for extra calories.

So its all a balance, you always give high vit C/low calcium/low calorie veg evety day then add in some leafy veg, balancing watery leaves and cucumber vs higher calcium, to make a nutritionally balanced diet.

If you are unsure of the calcium content of leaves just google it- lettuces have only around 35mg calcium per 100g which is low, spinach and parsley have >100 mg calcium per 100g which is high.

Its always best to understand the nutritional content of different veg so you can make informed meal choices.

High vit C/low calcium/low calorie veg are peppers and coriander- these can be fed daily.

Watery veg/low nutrients but good for hydration and fibre- pick one to feed daily- cucumber, lettuce (little gem, romaine, babyleaf, butterhead)

High calcium veg- broccoli, kale, parsley, dill, spinach- one or two portions per week, dont feed too much or too often

High calorie veg- babycorn, carrot, fruit- a small amount (1 slice of carrot, half a babycorn, half an apple slice) once or twice a week.

Most days my piggies get some sort of leafy breakfast (I rotate over a week romaine or little gem lettuce 1 or 2 days, coriander 1 or 2 days, babyleaf or butterhead salad mix bag 1 or 2 days, broccoli or spinach or kale 1 or 2 days) then peppers every evening. If they get high calcium leaves I also give cucumber to flush/dilute the calcium- if they get watery lettuce they may also get a small piece of treat veg for extra calories.

So its all a balance, you always give high vit C/low calcium/low calorie veg evety day then add in some leafy veg, balancing watery leaves and cucumber vs higher calcium, to make a nutritionally balanced diet.

If you are unsure of the calcium content of leaves just google it- lettuces have only around 35mg calcium per 100g which is low, spinach and parsley have >100 mg calcium per 100g which is high.

Mine usually get mixed leaf or lettuce , pepper , corriander, cucumber and green beans . Sometimes babyleaf salad . I sometimes give them the odd chunk of carrot or small piece of fruit

Mine usually get mixed leaf or lettuce , pepper , corriander, cucumber and green beans . Sometimes babyleaf salad . I sometimes give them the odd chunk of carrot or small piece of fruit
That sounds good. Don’t give carrot or fruits too often though. Even once a month treat is okay. Just be aware how much lettuce you’re giving them in one sitting. And also that some salad mixes may have spinach in them.

Back