Feeding questions - Guinea lover 1982

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 147427
  • Start date Start date
@Guinea lover 1982 I have merged your threads about feeding into one thread. Please post any further questions you may have about diet into this thread so they are all together in one place.

When I have time I will also merge your other threads on other topics. It is time consuming for our members to try to gather information piecemeal from your many threads and posts. Please don’t start any new threads for the time being unless they are on completely separate issues.

Hi

I bought a different type of hay for a local pet shop within the area that I live. The lady that owns the pet shop says it was economy hay of good quality that came from Ayrshire . I did ask if it was suitable for Guinea pigs and she said they had no complaints from other customers . I’m just not sure what type of hay it is

Hi

I bought a different type of hay for a local pet shop within the area that I live. The lady that owns the pet shop says it was economy hay of good quality that came from Ayrshire . I did ask if it was suitable for Guinea pigs and she said they had no complaints from other customers . I’m just not sure what type of hay it is
It is almost certainly meadow hay. Meadow hay is what is sold as "hay" in bales, bags etc. If it was anything special like "timothy hay" or suchlike there would be a premium price and it wold be sold clearly labelled so as to command a higher price.
As long as when you open the bag it smells fresh as opposed to mouldy hay from almost anywhere is fine for piggies.

It is almost certainly meadow hay. Meadow hay is what is sold as "hay" in bales, bags etc. If it was anything special like "timothy hay" or suchlike there would be a premium price and it wold be sold clearly labelled so as to command a higher price.
As long as when you open the bag it smells fresh as opposed to mouldy hay from almost anywhere is fine for piggies.

How much water roughly should a guinea pig drink a day and can this vary with heat etc

Hi is it okay to give guinea pigs red pepper daily and what sort of herbs can they have daily

Yes they can have lettuce daily. They can have pepper daily, but I personally wouldn't feed red daily as it is much sweeter than green or yellow (I alternate between red, green and yellow for variety). They can also have coriander/cilantro daily 😊

Can they have courgette and cucumber daily too
Please read my answer above and the guides I have linked for you.

You would be most unlikely to find a guinea pig who eats courgette. Most detest it.
Cucumber is fine in small quantities. Mine get a circle in the morning and a circle in the evening each day. As it is high in water content it is best not to overfeed it

Here is a link to the relevant section of the forum where you will find our well researched comprehensive guides that address all the issues of hay, water, vegetables and fruit.

Diet Guides

Please do take the time to read in particular the following guides
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
and
Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading
As if you follow these guides you cannot go far wrong

Okay thanks but on your list it says kale is safe but is this not high in calcium and has the risk of causing bladder stones

Please read my answer above and the guides I have linked for you.

You would be most unlikely to find a guinea pig who eats courgette. Most detest it.
Cucumber is fine in small quantities. Mine get a circle in the morning and a circle in the evening each day. As it is high in water content it is best not to overfeed it
Okay thanks but on your list it says kale is safe but is this not high in calcium and has the risk of causing bladder stones

Please read the FULL guide. Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
It makes it very clear that Kale is high in calcium. We are well aware of the issue with the link between calcium and bladder stones. If you are going to feed kale make it a pinch every so often (or if you have a pig with bladder troubles, not at all). Personally I don't feed it at all.

The plate in the photo in the guide shows you graphically what piggies need each day

You can give a slice of cucumber to each pig daily. Mine get a thin slice in the morning each and a thin slice in the evening each. If you feed a thick slice then give just half.

Just a suggestion for your food lists maybe you should put beside each veg how often they should be feed to make it a bit clearer

Yes they can have lettuce daily. They can have pepper daily, but I personally wouldn't feed red daily as it is much sweeter than green or yellow (I alternate between red, green and yellow for variety). They can also have coriander/cilantro daily 😊

Are most of the veggies on the high vitamin c and low vitamin c list okay to give them daily

Should u give your Guineas a mix of high and low vitamin c foods daily

Back