Feeding questions - Guinea lover 1982

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 147427
  • Start date Start date
Hi there i notice that my white Abyssinian salsa has a bit of a dirty back end. Is this anything to be concerned about as her hair is quite long and fluffy

Hi there i notice that my white Abyssinian salsa has a bit of a dirty back end. Is this anything to be concerned about as her hair is quite long and fluffy

Dirty how? Do you mean yellow with urine stain or something else?
If urine stained or poops getting caught in it, then you should ensure you keep the hair around her back end cut short, ensure bedding is changed regularly. This can unfortunately be an issue with white piggies, keeping them white is not easy!
The occasional bum bath if she is very dirty is ok but you don’t want to bathe too often

Bathing (including cleaning grease glands)

Anything else, then if you could give further information

That’s as best of a pic I can get

Attachments

• 99F92D44-FEED-4320-8CCF-6B4CAA0ADA87.webp
    99F92D44-FEED-4320-8CCF-6B4CAA0ADA87.webp
    108.8 KB · Views: 24
  • C3E4D223-C5A4-4311-9575-F8470AA308B5.webp
    C3E4D223-C5A4-4311-9575-F8470AA308B5.webp
    58.4 KB · Views: 24
Looks like it might be urine staining. I'd see if you can cut her hair shorter so it isnt touching the ground when she moves

Would the vet be able to do this and is urine staining a concern

Fruit doesn’t need to be in their diet and if you do choose to feed it, they should only have a small amount once per week due to the high sugar content. My guinea pigs get a small piece of melon each during the summer but that is all

Okay maybe I should get down on the amount of fruit per week

Okay maybe I should get down on the amount of fruit per week

If you are giving them more than a small amount once per week, then definitely cut it down. The same goes for carrots which are also high in sugar. Too much sugar in the diet can lead to various health issues.

My boys get one small slice of apple once or twice in summer only, they only get carrot once every two months or so. To treat my boys, I tend to give veggies which don’t form the normal daily diet such as parsley or spinach which are higher in calcium. Daily ‘treats’ for my boys is dried leaf forages from Piggie Parcels

We don’t feed fruit ever really. Don’t see the need with the amount of different veg available I guess if you are going to feed it then as mentioned really as a treat. But most piggies will go for cucumber over fruit any day

My lot don't have fruit all that often and it's often when in season. I got some melon for basil when he had his op, more to help keep him hydrated and flush his system the next day. Melons, strawberries, blackberries and maybe the odd grape. It's more a monthly thing or every other month really.

For treats I give a variety of herbs they wouldn't get normally or maybe a bit of kale. Sometimes they'll get swede, carrot greens, or parsnip skins now we're heading into the colder months but again that's not a regular thing because of the sugars.

They also like dried forage mix.

The only fruit mine get are apple and melon - then it’s usually a tiny chunk less than once a month. With melon it’s just the skin as I eat the fruit.
Priscilla regards a chunk of cucumber as a great treat, as does Phoebe while Micah is ecstatic if there’s a green bean offered.

The only fruit mine get are apple and melon - then it’s usually a tiny chunk less than once a month. With melon it’s just the skin as I eat the fruit.
Priscilla regards a chunk of cucumber as a great treat, as does Phoebe while Micah is ecstatic if there’s a green bean offered.

Ah okay I give both my girls either a grape each or a small chunk of apple each ever other day

I occasionally add a tiny bit of apple to their dinner. But not often.
I buy a punnet of blueberries every now and then. So for about 2-3 days they have 2 blueberries each daily.
But as everyone said, one a week. If that as too high in sugar :)

Hi can guinea pigs eat small amounts of kale daily if you mix it with other veg such as lettuce corriander and peppers

Okay it’s just that a lot of these feeding guides like the pdsa or rspca say that leafy greens like kale etc should be part of your guinea pigs daily diet

Can guinea pigs have things like courgette peppers and lettuce daily

Okay it’s just that a lot of these feeding guides like the pdsa or rspca say that leafy greens like kale etc should be part of your guinea pigs daily diet
Unfortunately as you are finding out, even some of the bigger and more well know groups can offer outdated or incorrect information on their website.

The food guide here is constantly reviewed and based on years of experience and knowledge:
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

:agr:
Mine get lettuce, cucumber, pepper and coriander daily. Everything else is on rotation and if I’ve got it in the fridge.

@Guinea lover 1982 you are asking food questions on a variety of threads which could get confusing.
I know you were asked to start a new thread when you wanted to ask a question but it may be easier if you kept questions about the same topic together, then it will easier for us to give you coherent answers.
So - keep all food questions to one thread, all health questions to one thread, all care questions to one thread etc.
This means we can see what answers you have already been given.

It’s a very good sign that you are asking questions- it shows that you are trying to be the the very best piggy slave.

As @Betsy says - feed kale and other high calcium veggies like spinach sparingly.

@Guinea lover 1982 I have merged your threads about feeding into one thread. Please post any further questions you may have about diet into this thread so they are all together in one place.

When I have time I will also merge your other threads on other topics. It is time consuming for our members to try to gather information piecemeal from your many threads and posts. Please don’t start any new threads for the time being unless they are on completely separate issues.

Back