• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ella has a bottom incisor missing 😞

It is completely understandable that you feel a bit defeated today, caring for sick piggies is a rollercoaster ride of emotions. Everything she eats is a great step in the right direction & if she ends up not liking the sweet potato, it's not the end of the world. You could also try fennel - that's a bit of a "fattener" that piggies tend to like a lot. And it's good for digestion. Other than that what springs to mind is green oat. In my experience that's generally very soft so she might be willing to give it a try. x
Thank you. I just want her to be well again, it’s so hard seeing her struggle and I’m exhausted 😞 I’m going to try the sweet potato again at tea time and I’ll try her with fennel too and softer hay x

Thank you for the tip. I’m going food shopping on Thursday so will pick up some celery. I’m trying to feed her anything she likes. My support worker has just taken me to Morrisons but I didn’t think to pick any up. Will the potato skin harm them if I don’t peel it? They don’t seem to like it anyway but I’m going to try mixing it with carrot at tea time x
No it won’t do any harm at all x

It is completely understandable that you feel a bit defeated today, caring for sick piggies is a rollercoaster ride of emotions. Everything she eats is a great step in the right direction & if she ends up not liking the sweet potato, it's not the end of the world. You could also try fennel - that's a bit of a "fattener" that piggies tend to like a lot. And it's good for digestion. Other than that what springs to mind is green oat. In my experience that's generally very soft so she might be willing to give it a try. x
I have never thought about giving fennel. How often can they have it? I've got a piggie who has lost weight

I have never thought about giving fennel. How often can they have it? I've got a piggie who has lost weight
With the stamp of approval from my vet, mine get it every day as it‘s the only thing that will keep Pewter‘s belly in check but usually I‘d say it‘s more like 1 to 2 times per week sort of thing. Took them a little bit to get used to at first because of the very strong smell/taste but now they love it.

Not sure if these will be any good for you. But I was recommended these as they are smaller and easier for them to eat.

I'm waiting on mine to arrive. Not sure if anyone has used these before?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230621-081940.webp
    Screenshot_20230621-081940.webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 6
Not sure if these will be any good for you. But I was recommended these as they are smaller and easier for them to eat.

Thank you. I’m prepared to try anything. What is it and do you need to syringe it as I’m really struggling with syringe feeding her 😞 Sorry for my ignorance but I’ve never seen it before x

Thank you. I’m prepared to try anything. What is it and do you need to syringe it as I’m really struggling with syringe feeding her 😞 Sorry for my ignorance but I’ve never seen it before x
I believe these are soft pellets. I hav found them on eBay as well.

Someone recommended them to me as my boar isn't eating much.

My piggies love this. I alternate feeding this with critical care when they get bored of it. You can feed it dry or soft (mix with a bit of water) or just like critical care in syringe.

The Burgess Dual Care is sachets of tiny pellets. You can mix them with water to make a syringe food or feed as a pellet. They were the only syringe food Nugget would take willingly. Mine have all accepted them when necessary. I like them because, they are cheaper than anything else, the piggies like them and when you are no longer syringe feeding they can be fed as a pellet before they go out of date to save waste. You can get these on many of the online sites. It's worth shopping around as the price can vary considerably. Viovet often has them on a good discount.
I am pleased to hear Ella is eating a bit for herself and has maintained her weight today.

ive used these and they are very good,the pellets are small,so maybe try feeding by hand to Ella.i agree with piggie minder.i got mine from amazon,as only ten pounds for a box.I'm pleased for you Claire that she is doing better.you have done a great job .

Please advise. I think she has something stuck in the hole the incisor was removed from. She’s grinding her teeth and looks like she’s trying to dislodge something? She won’t let me look but I’m worried. Will she manage to dislodge it herself?

She's not giving you an easy time Claire. I'm sorry.
When Red had something stuck round his teeth I needed someone else to hold him so I could have a look he got very squirmy every time I tried. Could your husband hold her for you? If he's not there I would leave her for a bit to calm down and then try again later. Try not to stress yourself too much as she will pick up on it. I hope she can get it out herself soon and save you the trouble. Good luck!

She's not giving you an easy time Claire. I'm sorry.
When Red had something stuck round his teeth I needed someone else to hold him so I could have a look he got very squirmy every time I tried. Could your husband hold her for you? If he's not there I would leave her for a bit to calm down and then try again later. Try not to stress yourself too much as she will pick up on it. I hope she can get it out herself soon and save you the trouble. Good luck!

Thank you. Poor Red 😞 He’s on his way home so I’ll try and look with his help when he gets home. I’ve put her back in the cage. I just hope she can dislodge it 😞

You’re doing so well. That’s a good sign. Keep munching Ella.

It's such a relief when things start going back to normal isn't it? Well done Ella and you.
Thank you. I’m relieved that her poos are of normal size and I’d rather them be softer than the small dry poos she was doing last week. It’s been two weeks since she had her tooth extracted and she’s barely eaten anything apart from syringe food so I’m very happy to see her eating again x

Ella weighed in at 920g this morning. I have been warned that her weight will go up and down but should I be concerned? We have friends coming for the weekend tomorrow (thankfully only for the one night) so I won’t be able to tend to her as much x

I know it is so tough when an animal is sick, but you have to remember in a "normal pig" a weight fluctuation of up to 30g is normal.
She may of just had a big pee before you weighed her, if it was continually dropping then I would be concerned.

The work you have been doing to stabilize her is fantastic.
You are doing so well for her and I hope you have a great day/night with your friends, you deserve a break as well x

I know it is so tough when an animal is sick, but you have to remember in a "normal pig" a weight fluctuation of up to 30g is normal.
She may of just had a big pee before you weighed her, if it was continually dropping then I would be concerned.

The work you have been doing to stabilize her is fantastic.
You are doing so well for her and I hope you have a great day/night with your friends, you deserve a break as well x
Thank you. I guess she could have done a big wee and I forget about weight fluctuations. I just worry so much about her especially as she has soft poos now to 😞

Thank you so much. I’m exhausted but she’s worth it. Hopefully having our friends here won’t impend her recovery x

Back