• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ella has a bottom incisor missing 😞

Have seen the vet, Richard who was lovely and have bought Ella home for the weekend with strong painkillers and gut meds but have to be prepared 😞 She has a swelling in her jaw which could be the mass or tooth growing back but as Richard hasn’t felt her gum before unlike Vince we don’t know if it’s grown or not. Vince is in Monday, Tuesday and Thursday next week so if she deteriorates, I can ring up for a same day appointment with him and they’ll fit her in. Or if she deteriorates over the weekend, got to assess her quality of life and may have to take her in for emergency pts 😞 told me to keep the appointment with Vince on 23rd. I’m so upset as Ella has been doing so well since her surgery in June but this is why Vince wanted to keep an eye on her for 6 months post surgery as she could have cancer in her jaw after all 😞

Have seen the vet, Richard who was lovely and have bought Ella home for the weekend with strong painkillers and gut meds but have to be prepared 😞 She has a swelling in her jaw which could be the mass or tooth growing back but as Richard hasn’t felt her gum before unlike Vince we don’t know if it’s grown or not. Vince is in Monday, Tuesday and Thursday next week so if she deteriorates, I can ring up for a same day appointment with him and they’ll fit her in. Or if she deteriorates over the weekend, got to assess her quality of life and may have to take her in for emergency pts 😞 told me to keep the appointment with Vince on 23rd. I’m so upset as Ella has been doing so well since her surgery in June but this is why Vince wanted to keep an eye on her for 6 months post surgery as she could have cancer in her jaw after all 😞

HUGS

It is sadly what I have expected although I was hoping that the news was better.

Please step in with syringe feeding support and hope for the best. Keep in mind that June was 4 months ago. A months very roughtly translates to a year in a piggy life; it is much more lifetime than it is for us.

HUGS

It is sadly what I have expected although I was hoping that the news was better.

Please step in with syringe feeding support and hope for the best. Keep in mind that June was 4 months ago. A months very roughtly translates to a year in a piggy life; it is much more lifetime than it is for us.
Thank you. I have done but she’s very reluctant like last time and is fighting me 😞

I’m devastated as this is the worst news we could have had 😞 She should be growing old with Esme, she’s only 4 and a half 😞 x

I’m so sorry the news wasn’t better. Hopefully with strong pain killers she might perk back up 🤞🏻. Sending healing vibes and a hug to you ❤️🤗

Thank you. I have done but she’s very reluctant like last time and is fighting me 😞

I’m devastated as this is the worst news we could have had 😞 She should be growing old with Esme, she’s only 4 and a half 😞 x

HUGS

Life has so often other plans than you wish to. 4 1/2 years is not a bad life span. It is just about at the lower end of the average life span. You just can never rule out a medical issue in younger piggies. A certain proportion will develop them; irrespective of your good care and plans. :(

Tegeirian was just three years old in May when she had to be pts for suspected advanced internal cancer. Her being just one year older than Tudur, I'd hoped that she would provide company for longer. His other two wives are currently turning 5 years. Tudur is about half their age. I will have to find another solution when the time comes and deal with what is possible then.

What painkiller has she been prescribed and at what dosage?

HUGS

Life has so often other plans than you wish to. 4 1/2 years is not a bad life span. It is just about at the lower end of the average life span. You just can never rule out a medical issue in younger piggies. A certain proportion will develop them; irrespective of your good care and plans. :(

Tegeirian was just three years old in May when she had to be pts for suspected advanced internal cancer. Her being just one year older than Tudur, I'd hoped that she would provide company for longer. His other two wives are currently turning 5 years. Tudur is about half their age. I will have to find another solution when the time comes and deal with what is possible then.

What painkiller has she been prescribed and at what dosage?
I was so sad when Tegeirian died so young 😞 sorry that she couldn’t provide company for Tudur for longer. I’m still worrying over Esme as I really don’t think Elizabeth is going to live as long as Edward 😞

Chris has said that Ella has had a good life but that isn’t helping with the pain that I’m probably going to have to let her go 😞

She’s on dog metacam, I’ve been giving her 0.4ml twice daily at my own evaluation and buprenorphine, 0.06ml three times daily and Cisapride 0.06ml twice daily to help keep her guts moving although he said to phone if I need the dosages adjusting as he’s working this weekend x

I was so sad when Tegeirian died so young 😞 sorry that she couldn’t provide company for Tudur for longer. I’m still worrying over Esme as I really don’t think Elizabeth is going to live as long as Edward 😞

Chris has said that Ella has had a good life but that isn’t helping with the pain that I’m probably going to have to let her go 😞

She’s on dog metacam, I’ve been giving her 0.4ml twice daily at my own evaluation and buprenorphine, 0.06ml three times daily and Cisapride 0.06ml twice daily to help keep her guts moving although he said to phone if I need the dosages adjusting as he’s working this weekend x

HUGS

Your pain is totally normal for somebody whose grieving process has fully got underway at the realisation that death may be imminent. Ella has and is having a good life and has reached a decent age but right now this only impacts on your feelings if you get really hung up over her not living to a grand old age and your own expectations not being fulfilled. It is absolutely not because you have failed her in any way.

Knowing Ella's weight, you can up the metacam to 0.5 ml twice daily and you can up the buprenorphine just a very little at need (consult with the vet though) if I remember Edward's meds last summer correctly. You can also up the cisapride a bit more if needed.

PS: My offer still stands that the last of your piggies can come here where you can come and see her if that is the best solution for you. Esme knows this place from her various previous holidays already.

HUGS

Your pain is totally normal for somebody whose grieving process has fully got underway at the realisation that death may be imminent. Ella has and is having a good life and has reached a decent age but right now this only impacts on your feelings if you get really hung up over her not living to a grand old age and your own expectations not being fulfilled. It is absolutely not because you have failed her in any way.

Knowing Ella's weight, you can up the metacam to 0.5 ml twice daily and you can up the buprenorphine just a very little at need (consult with the vet though) if I remember Edward's meds last summer correctly. You can also up the cisapride a bit more if needed.

PS: My offer still stands that the last of your piggies can come here where you can come and see her if that is the best solution for you. Esme knows this place from her various previous holidays already.

Thank you. My heart is literally breaking at the thought of having to choose a day to end her life 😞 it has been easier with past piggies as they’ve all shown sign of illness where a Ella is just pottering around, running to the veg plate and fussing around but although she’s picking up the veg, she’s just leaving it 😞

But I know she’s in pain with her jaw and she’s absolutely hating the syringe 😞

I don’t know whether to take her tomorrow or try and get her to Tuesday when I can hopefully get an appointment with Vince. I can’t get to the vets on Monday unless I can get a late afternoon or evening appointment as my dad is at the hospital for an important appointment that he can’t miss and I don’t expect him too. I really don’t know what to do 😞

I will increase her dosages

Thank you so much for your kind offer of giving Esme a forever home. That means an awful lot. I’ll be heartbroken to give her up but it would be unfair of me to condemn her to a life alone especially as I can’t move the cage downstairs so she’d just be left literally alone in the bedroom. I’m just hoping it will be later rather than sooner x

Can she manage grass? Shelly lived on grass for the first few weeks that she was here, until she started to eat more normally. She wouldn’t take syringe food!

She’s been managing a little grass. I just can’t believe that the growth has come back, Richard said yesterday he could feel it in her jaw and that her gum was therefore very swollen. Not sure where we can go from here 😞 x

She’s been managing a little grass. I just can’t believe that the growth has come back, Richard said yesterday he could feel it in her jaw and that her gum was therefore very swollen. Not sure where we can go from here 😞 x
It could just be infection! Wait and see what the other vet thinks!

My apologies if this has already been explained, but I spend very little time on the forum, so may have missed something. Do you know for sure that there is a mass? If so, how was this diagnosed? Just asking because we have had many piggies with bony swellings on the jaw, that have been caused by infection or abscesses, but in 13 years of running TEAS I have only ever had one piggy with a cancerous mass. This was diagnosed by histology and was identified as a tooth origin tumour.

How is Ella in herself? Does she still seem fairly bright? If she doesn't like being syringe fed, then make sure she has lots of foods that she can manage herself, in the cage. Shelly was a nightmare to syringe feed, so I fed her lots of grass, softened nuggets, grated carrot and porridge oats. She enjoyed her 'all you can eat buffet' and I stopped trying to syringe feed her, as I was only stressing her out!

My apologies if this has already been explained, but I spend very little time on the forum, so may have missed something. Do you know for sure that there is a mass? If so, how was this diagnosed? Just asking because we have had many piggies with bony swellings on the jaw, that have been caused by infection or abscesses, but in 13 years of running TEAS I have only ever had one piggy with a cancerous mass. This was diagnosed by histology and was identified as a tooth origin tumour.

How is Ella in herself? Does she still seem fairly bright? If she doesn't like being syringe fed, then make sure she has lots of foods that she can manage herself, in the cage. Shelly was a nightmare to syringe feed, so I fed her lots of grass, softened nuggets, grated carrot and porridge oats. She enjoyed her 'all you can eat buffet' and I stopped trying to syringe feed her, as I was only stressing her out!
Ella broke her incisor back in April and then the boney mass was growing up through her gum which is why we think her tooth broke in the first place. My vet, Vince removed her broken incisor, root and as much of the boney mass as he could but explained at the time that it was deep down in her jaw / gum so couldn’t get all of it without the risk of breaking her jaw. She’s been doing so well since having her incisor and bone removed in June and gained the 200g in weight that she lost. She’s been having regular checks with Vince since April and all has been great after her mouth healed from the tooth removal.

I noticed she wasn’t eating properly on Thursday so weighed her only to discover that she’d lost nearly 100g since her last weigh in on Tuesday. I managed to get her a vet appointment on Friday but with a different vet. He can feel the boney mass again so it’s thought that it’s grown and is causing her great pain again.

Ella is acting completely normal apart from not being able to eat which is why it’s even more painful for me 😞 She a absolutely hates the syringe.

Vince highly suspects it’s a boney mass that can’t be removed and I do trust him.

If she had an infection or abscess, wouldn’t it have made itself known months ago? x

Last edited:
Abscesses can brew for months. When Becca had the tooth origin tumour she was put to sleep within a couple of weeks of diagnosis as it was growing into her nasal cavity x

Pretty much two weeks from diagnosis to euthanasia. View attachment 233901View attachment 233902
Her incisor broke at the beginning of March and things deteriorated from there. She’s been fine for over 4 months since having the tooth and what part of the mass he could remove, removed. Theres no pus or anything. I don’t know what to think but she definitely can’t carry on like this 😞 x

See what your normal vet thinks. Has she got food in the cage that she can manage? Don’t worry about hay or syringe feeding. Shelly managed fine without hay or syringe food for a month or more and just ate grass, finely chopped salad leaves and porridge oats. She didn’t even want softened nuggets.

See what your normal vet thinks. Has she got food in the cage that she can manage? Don’t worry about hay or syringe feeding. Shelly managed fine without hay or syringe food for a month or more and just ate grass, finely chopped salad leaves and porridge oats. She didn’t even want softened nuggets.
Ella is losing weight by the day 😞 I keep putting grass and dandelions in the cage and she’s having a little nibble of lettuce and coriander but she’s barely eating anything for herself 😞 x

Apologise as I thought all this started in April but looking back at this thread, it was actually the beginning of March when Ella first broke her tooth 😞 Anyway, I’ve got my baby girl booked in for 5pm today with Vince and fear it’s going to be a one way trip to the vets 😞 she’s still not eating and we ran out of pain meds this morning as Richard only gave us enough to see her through the weekend and I increased the amount. I’m feeling so down and upset as she is still acting completely normal and ran to the veg at breakfast, just couldn’t eat it and it’s clear she’s in pain with her mouth 😞 Please send lots of healing thoughts for a gentle passing to the bridge where Edward will be waiting for her if that’s the way it’s going to to go, I can’t stop crying 😞 x

Back