• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ella has a bottom incisor missing 😞

I'm so glad to read that the vet is happy with Ella's progress. And like @weepweeps says, maybe she's just had a good old bathroom trip right before you weighed her today. Or maybe she was resting a bit more after yesterday's appointment - I know my Buttons needs a good 24 hours until she's back to her usual self & eating normally after a vet trip. Keep doing what you're doing, you're doing amazing ❤️

I felt like that when I was feeding Pepper last year. But we got there in the end and I hope you and Ella will too. ❤️

I'm so glad to read that the vet is happy with Ella's progress. And like @weepweeps says, maybe she's just had a good old bathroom trip right before you weighed her today. Or maybe she was resting a bit more after yesterday's appointment - I know my Buttons needs a good 24 hours until she's back to her usual self & eating normally after a vet trip. Keep doing what you're doing, you're doing amazing ❤️

Thank you both. Vet said we need to try and keep her above 900g and she was back down to 900g this morning 😞 I’m exhausted but I know I need to keep going for her. She also have soft poos so something else to worry about 😞 We have friends staying for the weekend. I could be doing without that but it’s been arranged for nearly a year so I can’t back out now. I’m so worried I won’t get enough food in to her while they’re here 😞 They’re only coming for one night

Thank you both. Vet said we need to try and keep her above 900g and she was back down to 900g this morning 😞 I’m exhausted but I know I need to keep going for her. She also have soft poos so something else to worry about 😞 We have friends staying for the weekend. I could be doing without that but it’s been arranged for nearly a year so I can’t back out now. I’m so worried I won’t get enough food in to her while they’re here 😞 They’re only coming for one night
Your doing amazing. Take each day as it comes. I understand how heartbreaking it is.
Having your friends down might help.

I agree. Get them to hold her for you. It will free you up quicker. Then you can all go out for a bit. Don’t be afraid to ask for their help.

This all sounds completely normal. Weight loss of 20g is insignificant and soft poos are completely normal in a guinea pig who hasn't been eating for themselves and then starts to eat a little. All of the piggies who come to TEAS with dental issues, have a few days of soft poos when they start to eat for themselves again.

Your doing amazing. Take each day as it comes. I understand how heartbreaking it is.
Having your friends down might help.

I agree. Get them to hold her for you. It will free you up quicker. Then you can all go out for a bit. Don’t be afraid to ask for their help.

This all sounds completely normal. Weight loss of 20g is insignificant and soft poos are completely normal in a guinea pig who hasn't been eating for themselves and then starts to eat a little. All of the piggies who come to TEAS with dental issues, have a few days of soft poos when they start to eat for themselves again.

Thank you. I’m just feeling stressed out again after feeling a little happier yesterday 😞 But I’m pleased that the weight loss and soft poos is nothing to worry about. I’m just worried as she’s still not eating hay so is just eating syringe food, a few pellets and veg x

Also, just think, if your mouth was sore, would you chew on something dry and spiky, like hay? No! You'd have smooth foods! Experiment with what works for her! Try cutting foods in different ways, or grating, or shredding! We have just had a very lovely boar surrendered to us who can eat hards foods, such as carrot, pepper, brocolli stalks, but struggles with anything leafy as it bends too easily! They are all different!

Tilly, who lived a very happy life here at TEAS, for around 2 1/2 years, never ate hay, so don’t get too wound up on the hay eating issue!

Also, just think, if your mouth was sore, would you chew on something dry and spiky, like hay? No! You'd have smooth foods! Experiment with what works for her! Try cutting foods in different ways, or grating, or shredding! We have just had a very lovely boar surrendered to us who can eat hards foods, such as carrot, pepper, brocolli stalks, but struggles with anything leafy as it bends too easily! They are all different!

Thank you, that makes me feel a little better. I’m off to Morrisons soon to get some sweet potato and celery to grate and more coriander as she managed dandelion leaf last night. She’s eating carrot and cucumber grated. I won’t worry about the hay I guess I wouldn’t want to eat it either. I wanted to try her with more grass but it’s peeing it down x

It sounds like she’s making significant progress. Pick her some grass. It doesn’t matter that it’s wet! I also find parsley and dill are generally accepted well by those learning to eat again xx

Thank you. She’s come along way since last week. I’ll try her with grass parsley and dill and try and stop panicking. I always thought grass couldn’t be fed when wet. I’m just worried about the weight loss and soft poos x

I wouldn’t pick and keep it for ages, before giving it to them, but they love it wet!

Thank you. I’ll just give it to them wet. I just hope she eats it. Been to Morrisons and got sweet potato, dill, parsley and coriander so I’ll try her on these. The problem I’m having is that she’s eating really slow so Elizabeth and Esme are gobbling it up but Ella won’t eat out of the cage without her pals 😞 x

You can always pick a handful and dry it on some kitchen paper, I just give it as it comes, wet or dry

You can always pick a handful and dry it on some kitchen paper, I just give it as it comes, wet or dry

Can you hand feed all three on a matt in the sofa, or on the floor, that way you are in charge of who gets what?

Thank you. I’ll pick some grass when it stops raining. She’s just had some dill but isn’t keen on sweet potato. When I feed sweet potato, do I have to peel it first? I’ve just peeled it but not sure if that’s necessary. I’m having her out again soon for a syringe feed and will try hand feeding them all some veg. She likes to make things difficult for me 😞 x

Thank you. I’ll pick some grass when it stops raining. She’s just had some dill but isn’t keen on sweet potato. When I feed sweet potato, do I have to peel it first? I’ve just peeled it but not sure if that’s necessary. I’m having her out again soon for a syringe feed and will try hand feeding them all some veg. She likes to make things difficult for me 😞 x
They all do … I can’t help with sweet potato,I haven’t had one piggie that actually liked it, butn8f it makes it more easy to eat then peal it. You can also use a potato peeler to remove the “threads“ from celery

They all do … I can’t help with sweet potato,I haven’t had one piggie that actually liked it, butn8f it makes it more easy to eat then peal it. You can also use a potato peeler to remove the “threads“ from celery

Thank you for the tip. I’m going food shopping on Thursday so will pick up some celery. I’m trying to feed her anything she likes. My support worker has just taken me to Morrisons but I didn’t think to pick any up. Will the potato skin harm them if I don’t peel it? They don’t seem to like it anyway but I’m going to try mixing it with carrot at tea time x

Great news that she went for some dill! Little lady definitely seems to be on the right track. For the sweet potato: Mine go absolutely ballistic for it, but only when it's peeled and grated. And it's even better when it's sprinkled with a few oats (you might be able to tell, I have gourmet piggies). I'm only speaking for my trio here but with everything that's new to them, they need a few attempts to actually give it a go - especially if it's not green and leafy. So if she's not too keen on it yet, try offering it to her a few more times, maybe she just needs some time to get used to the idea of trying it. :)

Great news that she went for some dill! Little lady definitely seems to be on the right track. For the sweet potato: Mine go absolutely ballistic for it, but only when it's peeled and grated. And it's even better when it's sprinkled with a few oats (you might be able to tell, I have gourmet piggies). I'm only speaking for my trio here but with everything that's new to them, they need a few attempts to actually give it a go - especially if it's not green and leafy. So if she's not too keen on it yet, try offering it to her a few more times, maybe she just needs some time to get used to the idea of trying it. :)

Thank you. I just wish she’d eat more but she’s definitely heading in the right direction as she wasn’t eating anything this time last week. I just feel really defeated today as if we’ve taken a step back after the vet being so proud of her yesterday 😞 but I’ll persevere with the sweet potato and try mixing it with some oats. Your piggies are definitely gourmet x

Thank you. I just wish she’d eat more but she’s definitely heading in the right direction as she wasn’t eating anything this time last week. I just feel really defeated today as if we’ve taken a step back after the vet being so proud of her yesterday 😞 but I’ll persevere with the sweet potato and try mixing it with some oats. Your piggies are definitely gourmet x
It is completely understandable that you feel a bit defeated today, caring for sick piggies is a rollercoaster ride of emotions. Everything she eats is a great step in the right direction & if she ends up not liking the sweet potato, it's not the end of the world. You could also try fennel - that's a bit of a "fattener" that piggies tend to like a lot. And it's good for digestion. Other than that what springs to mind is green oat. In my experience that's generally very soft so she might be willing to give it a try. x

Back