• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ella has a bottom incisor missing 😞

Well maybe she still has a fair bit of bruising, sometimes they can feel tender and she has had a big op. I wish I could think of a way of building her confidence up to really get stuck in? Once she’s eaten and swallowed something well then I’m sure she would get eating, it’s just finding that something.
Is there a fruit or veggies/herb that she finds totally irresistible? My lot love cantaloupe melon, I give them all a thin 2” slither once a week, is there anything she would go crazy for?

Yeah I guess she could still have a fair amount of bruising. She’s back at the vets on Monday and vet said he’d be hoping to have her eating little bits by then but she’s having none of it 😞 She loves carrot so I’ve been grating her carrot along with cucumber. She’s had a little nibble but nothing more. Hub bought her a big bunch of coriander last week and again, she just sniffed at it and left it. I’ll try her with a bit of melon x

Yeah I guess she could still have a fair amount of bruising. She’s back at the vets on Monday and vet said he’d be hoping to have her eating little bits by then but she’s having none of it 😞 She loves carrot so I’ve been grating her carrot along with cucumber. She’s had a little nibble but nothing more. Hub bought her a big bunch of coriander last week and again, she just sniffed at it and left it. I’ll try her with a bit of melon x
Yes, try anything that you think might encourage her, a little treat food doesn’t matter if it temps her to eat 🤞

Oh Claire, I have just caught up in your thread. I’m so sorry that Ella isn’t doing so well. But it really does sound like you’re doing all you can to tempt her back to eating for herself. Just hang in there and carry on doing what you’re doing. We can only do our best and you are certainly doing that

You're doing a great job Claire,hang in there sending you hugs xx

Oh Claire, I have just caught up in your thread. I’m so sorry that Ella isn’t doing so well. But it really does sound like you’re doing all you can to tempt her back to eating for herself. Just hang in there and carry on doing what you’re doing. We can only do our best and you are certainly doing that

I'm sorry itsso difficult.you are doing all you can.i hope you can get some rest.

Thank you. I’m exhausted but she’s managed to maintain her weight from yesterday. I’m so upset that she’s not doing any better 😞 I hope for the best when I give her her veg but she’s just ignoring it 😞 When does trying our best to keep them going turn in to being cruel? 😞 x

Thank you. I’m exhausted but she’s managed to maintain her weight from yesterday. I’m so upset that she’s not doing any better 😞 I hope for the best when I give her her veg but she’s just ignoring it 😞 When does trying our best to keep them going turn in to being cruel? 😞 x
I think only you and a frank discussion with your vet can really tell you that. You are giving her every chance. It’s soul destroying for you at the moment, utterly awful and it’s a lonely place too but give her some time. She is maintaining her weight, so that’s all good. We are all rooting for her 😊 You are doing a great job.

I think only you and a frank discussion with your vet can really tell you that. You are giving her every chance. It’s soul destroying for you at the moment, utterly awful and it’s a lonely place too but give her some time. She is maintaining her weight, so that’s all good. We are all rooting for her 😊 You are doing a great job.

Thank you. I’m just so upset at the thought as she’s acting perfectly normally apart from the not eating but the growth isn’t just going to go away 😞 I’m so scared for her vet appointment on Monday that I’m preparing for the worst, I don’t want to say goodbye too early but I don’t want her to suffer either 😞 I don’t know what to do. I love her so much x

Thank you. I’m just so upset at the thought as she’s acting perfectly normally apart from the not eating but the growth isn’t just going to go away 😞 I’m so scared for her vet appointment on Monday that I’m preparing for the worst, I don’t want to say goodbye too early but I don’t want her to suffer either 😞 I don’t know what to do. I love her so much x
I’m so sorry Claire, I wish she would eat. Piggies with dental problems is the worst as the piggie isn’t “ill” as such just unable to eat. If a piggie is laid on its side and poorly then it somehow seems a lot easier to make that decision. it’s truly heartbreaking to see them so keen to eat but can’t, I do feel for you x

I’m so sorry Claire, I wish she would eat. Piggies with dental problems is the worst as the piggie isn’t “ill” as such just unable to eat. If a piggie is laid on its side and poorly then it somehow seems a lot easier to make that decision. it’s truly heartbreaking to see them so keen to eat but can’t, I do feel for you x

That’s what’s breaking my heart seeing her so desperate to eat but not being able to 😞 She doesn’t look ill and is still bright and alert so in my eyes, she isn’t but really, she is as she has a nasty growth which could just be a harmless cyst or a cancerous growth and it could be that that’s stopping her from eating or may be it isn’t that at all and she just needs more time. I just have so many questions that can’t be answered but I really don’t know what to do 😞 x

That’s what’s breaking my heart seeing her so desperate to eat but not being able to 😞 She doesn’t look ill and is still bright and alert so in my eyes, she isn’t but really, she is as she has a nasty growth which could just be a harmless cyst or a cancerous growth and it could be that that’s stopping her from eating or may be it isn’t that at all and she just needs more time. I just have so many questions that can’t be answered but I really don’t know what to do 😞 x
be guided by your vet Claire as well as your own heart. Guinea pigs are very strange in that if their mouth doesn’t feel the same as it did they are put off eating. Give yourself the time to consider, she’s holding her weight so she’s ok for now x

be guided by your vet Claire as well as your own heart. Guinea pigs are very strange in that if their mouth doesn’t feel the same as it did they are put off eating. Give yourself the time to consider, she’s holding her weight so she’s ok for now x
Thank you. She’s had some grated carrot, grated cucumber and has just eaten a quarter of a grape. Not much but an achievement in my eyes? I guess her mouth will feel odd so it could be putting her off eating? My head says one thing but my heart says another. I think I’m going to ask the vet to give us more time x

Thank you. She’s had some grated carrot, grated cucumber and has just eaten a quarter of a grape. Not much but an achievement in my eyes? I guess her mouth will feel odd so it could be putting her off eating? My head says one thing but my heart says another. I think I’m going to ask the vet to give us more time x
If think you should, small steps but it’s still a move forward from this time last week. Well done Ella keep on chomping!

That’s definitely an improvement. Give her a little more time. Keep munching Ella.

Good that Ella has eaten a little veg. Hope that she continues to improve. x

That’s so good that she has eaten some grated veg, Claire. Small steps forward are always encouraging.

Just back from the vets with Ella and she’s still here. Vet is actually really PLEASED with her progress! She isn’t dehydrated or bloated and she has a belly full of poos. She’s managed to MAINTAIN her weight from last week and her mouth is healing as it should. She’s got more Bupacare and Cisapride and is to see the vet again next Monday or before if we’re concerned but it could take 6 weeks for her mouth to heal. Obviously she can’t continue forever on high pain killers and we have to see how she heals. I’m to continue with topping her up with syringe feed and offering her soft food / grating her veg but the vet is confident she’s eating more than what we think. My girl isn’t ready to give up yet so neither am I!

I am so glad the vet was positive today. Sending bucket loads of healing vibes to Ella and hugs to you, you are doing so well. It's tiring physically and mentally looking after a piggie that needs so much care but really rewarding if we can pull them through.

That sounds really positive. Keep on doing what you are doing. Healing vibes are on the way ❤️

That's fantastic news, you are doing such a great job of caring for Ella. Hope that she continues to improve. xx

I am so glad the vet was positive today. Sending bucket loads of healing vibes to Ella and hugs to you, you are doing so well. It's tiring physically and mentally looking after a piggie that needs so much care but really rewarding if we can pull them through.

That sounds really positive. Keep on doing what you are doing. Healing vibes are on the way ❤️

That's fantastic news, you are doing such a great job of caring for Ella. Hope that she continues to improve. xx
Thank you. I honestly thought it was going to be a one way trip to the vets 😞 I just hope I can get her through this x

Back