• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ella has a bottom incisor missing 😞

I haven’t read through this whole thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but have you tried julienning her food? My old lady lost both her top incisors and while it took her a while to really get it (like, six months to a year), she can eat solids on her own now. She just feeds them back with her remaining teeth to her molars and chews them there.

It took her a year to be really better afterwards, not helped by her Momma’s death, and during that time her weight fluctuated by as much as 80 grams at a time. I hope it gets better for you and her.

I haven’t read through this whole thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but have you tried julienning her food? My old lady lost both her top incisors and while it took her a while to really get it (like, six months to a year), she can eat solids on her own now. She just feeds them back with her remaining teeth to her molars and chews them there.

It took her a year to be really better afterwards, not helped by her Momma’s death, and during that time her weight fluctuated by as much as 80 grams at a time. I hope it gets better for you and her.
Thank you, she’s now eating for herself, just not much and not hay and she’s very slow. I’m sorry that it took so long for your girl to start eating again and that she lost her mum, that is a long time x

It's very exhausting having to care for a sick piggy over a longer period of time. Since Ella is doing pretty good at the moment, I'm sure a little distraction from sick care for a few hours will do you good and won't hurt her.
Yes it is. Thank you, I’m going to try and get as much food in to her as I can before they arrive x

You have not failed her Claire, that is just a normal drop, a wee or a poop. Piggys weight goes up and down all the time.

I find in this heat mine all lose some weight no matter what I do.
Given all you’ve gone through so far try not to panic, which I know is easier said than done.
You are doing a fantastic job with Ella.

It could be the heat. You are still doing amazing job. X

You have not failed her Claire, that is just a normal drop, a wee or a poop. Piggys weight goes up and down all the time.

I find in this heat mine all lose some weight no matter what I do.
Given all you’ve gone through so far try not to panic, which I know is easier said than done.
You are doing a fantastic job with Ella.

Thank you. Hopefully it’s just the heat. I just feel a sense of dread whenever she drops on the scales 😞 We’re at the vets again in the morning x

Thank you. Hopefully it’s just the heat. I just feel a sense of dread whenever she drops on the scales 😞 We’re at the vets again in the morning x
I know how you feel my boar lost weight today. After yesterday getting more cc into him.
Did you get the dual care nuggets?

Good luck at the vets tomorrow x

I know how you feel my boar lost weight today. After yesterday getting more cc into him.
Did you get the dual care nuggets?

Good luck at the vets tomorrow x

Good luck tomorrow Claire.

Thank you. Sorry no, I haven’t got the dual care nuggets just yet.

She’s just done a normal ish size and shape poo so that’s cheered me up a little. I just wish she’d do more

IMG_6286.webp

That looks like a perfect poop.
And you haven't failed Ella. You're just missing the magic wand, we would love to have to make our loved ones healthy again when they are sick.

Billie and I have been battling Billie's bumblefoot for nearly 2 years now. It got worse, then better, then worse again. I can't make it go away and I know that it will never get better, though I'm doing all I can.
And still, everytime my vet or someone else tells me, I'm doing a great job, because Billie is still around and happy, I think that if I would be doing a good job, it would be better by now. So I know how you feel.

But look at it from this point of view.
If Ella looses weight despite of everything you are doing, how much worse would it be, if you wouldn't fight for her.
We don't have a magic wand, we can just do what's in our power.

Thank you. Sorry no, I haven’t got the dual care nuggets just yet.

She’s just done a normal ish size and shape poo so that’s cheered me up a little. I just wish she’d do more

View attachment 227293
That’s a very nice poop.
Well done Ella.

Only on a guinea pig forum can we get excited about poops 😅

I echo completely what @Viennese Furbabies has said above.
I’m battling a health issue with Boris. I’m doing my absolute best (as is the vet). I’ve been weighing him daily for months. Occasionally he plateaus. Rarely he gains a gram or 2. But the trend remains downward. But he’s eating, drinking, pooping and having a generally good time so I’m trying not to fixate on his weight. All any of us can do is our best. And you are certainly doing a great job with Ella.

That looks like a perfect poop.
And you haven't failed Ella. You're just missing the magic wand, we would love to have to make our loved ones healthy again when they are sick.

Billie and I have been battling Billie's bumblefoot for nearly 2 years now. It got worse, then better, then worse again. I can't make it go away and I know that it will never get better, though I'm doing all I can.
And still, everytime my vet or someone else tells me, I'm doing a great job, because Billie is still around and happy, I think that if I would be doing a good job, it would be better by now. So I know how you feel.

But look at it from this point of view.
If Ella looses weight despite of everything you are doing, how much worse would it be, if you wouldn't fight for her.
We don't have a magic wand, we can just do what's in our power.

Thank you and yes, you’re right. I just wish I did have a magic wand. I’ve been following Boris’s thread and it must be so stressful, you’re doing a great job. I hope he recovers soon x

I echo completely what @Viennese Furbabies has said above.
I’m battling a health issue with Boris. I’m doing my absolute best (as is the vet). I’ve been weighing him daily for months. Occasionally he plateaus. Rarely he gains a gram or 2. But the trend remains downward. But he’s eating, drinking, pooping and having a generally good time so I’m trying not to fixate on his weight. All any of us can do is our best. And you are certainly doing a great job with Ella.

Thank you so much. I’m sorry that Boris is poorly too, your doing a great job x

Just seen the lovely vet with Ella. He’s pleased with her progress and she’s managed to maintain her weight. Her gums are healing and I can reduce her painkillers from three times a day to twice a day to see how she gets on. He said the pain is now equivalent to us having an ulcer in our mouth. She’s also producing normal poos again instead of the soft mushy ones so she can come off the cisapride. Healing vibes that she continues to improve much appreciated xx

That’s all great news. It’s a struggle but once they recover it’s all worth it.

I have only been giving Ella little top ups of syringe food. I’ve been out for most of the day today and she is 30g heavier now than she was this morning. I don’t want to speak too soon but that must mean she’s been eating for herself today, that’s the best birthday present ever 🙂 x

Back