A place to rant about things that wind you up ( keep it clean lol)

• Thread starter Thread starter DMS260820
  • Start date Start date
I had one of those and was worried about it. I threw it away in the end and just gave them the hay. I thought I must have made a mistake and it was meant for hamsters.
I thought it would be fine as it's a small item so was very shocked to see my guinea pig with part of it stuck round her neck.It obviously distressed her.I think I will send them an email just to let them know.They are a good company.

It didn't wind me up but made me sad. I went food shopping today and walked past Wilko, for what will now be the last time before it closes for good. It's been my go to shop for many things and I will miss it.
I felt the same today as I walked past our closed up Wilko. Such a shame. 😞

Was supposed to be taking Harry on a speed dating sesh later today but the rescue has stopped responding 😕

Spoke to Pets at Home on the phone this morning just to explore my options. They do have sows but they don't recommend bonding Harry with girls as there's a fear he'll be aggressive... chap on the phone did suggest trying him with a boar instead, though 🤦🏻‍♀️ As if there's less likely to be aggression that way, especially given that Harry's known the wife life!

Spoke to Pets at Home on the phone this morning just to explore my options. They do have sows but they don't recommend bonding Harry with girls as there's a fear he'll be aggressive... chap on the phone did suggest trying him with a boar instead, though 🤦🏻‍♀️ As if there's less likely to be aggression that way, especially given that Harry's known the wife life!
PAH aren't known for their expertise on guinea pigs.

The PAH website states:
"Guinea pigs are cute and cuddly pets, and can be perfect for younger children"

Nuff said me thinks!

The PAH website states:

Nuff said me thinks!

Very true! Luckily (?) I'm pretty sure they wouldn't block a purchase - any purchase - because of concerns about the home setup. And I'm well-read enough on piggies now to spot when they're trying to give me duff advice!

Really disappointed about that rescue. I don't want to go the pet shop route but I'm running out of oomph; it's been a long month with two bereavements and now week four of sickness (testing negative but this bout of COVID just hangs on and on). Having one last go of things while Baby Poggle is napping but I'm desperate for this bit of stress to be over. But pet shop pigs are more likely to come with bonus stress...

And while I'm here ranting: My son found a chunky slug on the kitchen floor this morning. No idea where it came from as all the windows have been closed for some time. Feeling a little bit violated :)) That'll be some obsessive mopping on my to do list for this afternoon, then!

The PAH website states:

Nuff said me thinks!
Yes I’ve always found it really annoying, my cousin has two sows from PAH and they always seem so tiny and fragile, especially compared to my friends herd who are mostly from rescues or very good breeders. I have also noticed a similar pattern there with hamsters. And those cage sizes are all so devastating.

Very true! Luckily (?) I'm pretty sure they wouldn't block a purchase - any purchase - because of concerns about the home setup. And I'm well-read enough on piggies now to spot when they're trying to give me duff advice!
If Harry is neutered then I would go for a girl, what is that shop on about?!
This bonding lark is stressful. After 7/8 weeks we are no further on. I've been waiting since Saturday for a call from the rescue, who have been brilliant but it's getting too much now. There was a single baby in P@H on Saturday I could have had, wishing I'd got him now.
I hope you feel better soon.
Sneaky slug!

@lemanpiggies Don't get us started on those cage sizes! :))

@piggieminder That's a long old wait, I don't think I have that patience 😱 Fingers crossed they get back to you today!

Edit to add I will definitely be getting sows - yes there's always the compatibility issue because they're living beings with their own personalities, but I'm not sure expecting aggression just because they're sows is quite warranted!

In the US., we ship animals via post (baby and adult poultry, fish and amphibians), and other animals via private carriers. I don’t know how gp are shipped, but I digress. It’s a shame I can’t offer my baby pigs to you guys. I’m not about to sell them to the local pet shops. 😳

In the US., we ship animals via post (baby and adult poultry, fish and amphibians), and other animals via private carriers. I don’t know how gp are shipped, but I digress. It’s a shame I can’t offer my baby pigs to you guys. I’m not about to sell them to the local pet shops. 😳
The guinea pigs and other furry little pets are shipped from breeding facilities that are about a state away. They are put in boxes and shipped to the pet stores in the area. Apet is the company that provides a bunch of all the pet store animals in the states around Illinois. I used to work for one of the big chain pet stores when I was a teen.

I've kept forgetting to look, but the threading's going on the right screw and there's far too much movement in there. Hasn't quite broken yet but it's not far off. However, searching for "toilet seat" and then "sort by price" means you get at least 7 pages of toilet seat covers and handles and whatever but no actual seats. I gave up after 7 pages, lol.

If Harry is neutered then I would go for a girl, what is that shop on about?!
This bonding lark is stressful. After 7/8 weeks we are no further on. I've been waiting since Saturday for a call from the rescue, who have been brilliant but it's getting too much now. There was a single baby in P@H on Saturday I could have had, wishing I'd got him now.
I hope you feel better soon.
Sneaky slug!
I never know what that shop is on about. Some years back I was wanting a baby boar to bond with a bereaved boar I had. I explained ro them why I was wanting a single piggy. They asked me the age of my boar. I said he was two. They said because of his age they wouldn't sell me just one and that I would have to have a pair to live with him. I think we all know how that would most likely have turned out a few months down the line.

I never know what that shop is on about. Some years back I was wanting a baby boar to bond with a bereaved boar I had. I explained ro them why I was wanting a single piggy. They asked me the age of my boar. I said he was two. They said because of his age they wouldn't sell me just one and that I would have to have a pair to live with him. I think we all know how that would most likely have turned out a few months down the line.
Learning & Development in Retail | Pets at Home.

:yikes: :yikes:

Half way through my working week and my foot is.... so so. Still bruised in different colours, still sore if I catch it wrong. I can walk, move, bend my toes - with varying degrees of ouchyness depending on what time it is. I'm assuming its bruised all the way through my toe.

Buses are changing, with what I've seen so far there will be no bus to get me to work and no bus for me to get home either. Life just gets better.

I just want to complain about that for the third time on this forum I have seen someones pig being prescribed meloxicam for pain management. I'm very glad these piggies are getting their meds but what I am upset about is the fact that I was forced to stop taking meloxicam because it seemed they stopped making mine and it was out of stock everywhere!

(Just want to doubly say that I am very happy all the guinea pigs are getting their meds just annoyed with human healthcare)

I just want to complain about that for the third time on this forum I have seen someones pig being prescribed meloxicam for pain management. I'm very glad these piggies are getting their meds but what I am upset about is the fact that I was forced to stop taking meloxicam because it seemed they stopped making mine and it was out of stock everywhere!

(Just want to doubly say that I am very happy all the guinea pigs are getting their meds just annoyed with human healthcare)
I am sorry you can't get your meds. I think there is a production problem, a lot of vets are out of it too and having to use alternatives. Last time mine needed a repeat prescription I had to wait a few days to pick it up while the vets found some. It's a multi practise vets so they are sharing what they have in stock. Red's going for a check up before his repeat next week, I'm wondering if they will have any or if he will have to have an alternative which will cost a lot more.

Well, I caved. I went to Pets at Home. In fact... I went to two of them. They had about a dozen boars between them but no sows.

Meanwhile Harry still hasn't left his 2x1 corner and it'll now be at least another week of this for him. So frustrated.

They had about a dozen boars between them but no sows.

I know how frustrating this is for you and for Harry, but it's also a symptom of bad info - people don't want boars because "they smell" "they'll fight" "they'll bite" and everything else, so the sows get snapped up and the boars get left behind.

I know how frustrating this is for you and for Harry, but it's also a symptom of bad info - people don't want boars because "they smell" "they'll fight" "they'll bite" and everything else, so the sows get snapped up and the boars get left behind.

Yeah, I was worried about those boars, too. That's an awful lot to find homes for when they seem to be less popular. Kind of hoping there's just been an unusually high amount of boars born or something, but.

Someone tried giving me their teen's guinea pigs last night. The dad didn't want them because they just lay around and do nothing. I asked if his teen was feeding them and cleaning and yes, they were doing all the correct things. It sounds like the teen wants to keep their piggies and is doing a good job. I am not wanting more piggies at this point in time is what I told the dad.

But I have been watching that they don't get dumped here.

1. Primark sizes have gone strange. I can usually buy a small size in top (about 90% of the time) and it fit fine. Today two different tops in two completely different sized materials and styles - a small buried me and even the xxs was too small! I definitely haven't become a stick insect over night.

2. Underwires in bras that escape out of the bra. I end up paying a lot for them due to size. I expect them to last!

3. I seem to have a problem. I can't seem to stop buying books from charity shops. My to read pile is growing!

Back