Stripe and Chesney

It’s normal when you haven’t had your piggies for long - the first 6 months I was watching how much hay they ate , water they drank etc ! Gradually you relax a bit and the weekly weigh and health check reassures you 👍
His vet would like to seek him Monday because now he takes a few steps then lies down.

The boys just had some romaine and I'm encouraged all poops in the cage were healthy. But Stripe just squeaked while he was trying to settle down so hopefully he'll continue to eat until his appointment Monday. I sure wish Chez would stop humping him when I spot clean while he's not well.

I have four days of work in a row, long shifts unfortunately.

I just know something is off.

Stripe is still eating and pooping. He just ate all his lettuce. He is still whimpering, and he just laid down after taking a few steps. I'm praying that he continues to eat and poop till his appointment Monday.

Chez is popcorning and hay diving.

I have a very long shift tonight so they will be alone a lot until morning.

Hoping everything is okay with Stripe ❤️

Hope your shift went well and there piggies are still eating and pooping normally 🙂

Yes, eating and pooping still. He tried to rumble but squeaked in pain mid rumble. I have to clean the cage today, I hope I don't hurt him when I take him out. It just hurts me so much to see him not well. I cried in the car the other day and I had kind of an upset stomach. If he can just get by till Monday, I'll get him some pain killers.

Poor Stripe, and poor Stripe's mom! It's so difficult when they are not well. If you have a tunnel or a box, perhaps you could tempt him into it to help lift him from the cage.

I'm so glad Stripe has his vet visit tomorrow morning. When I went in their room today he was at the hay pile. He ate all his romaine then laid down. Still walking funny. Chez has started humping him while I spot clean, and Stripe squeaks. But other than the humping he doesn't challenge Stripe. I use the litter scoop to get Chez off Stripe so I don't get bitten. Sounds kinda weird, I know, but Stripe hates it.

Tomorrow a heart check, X-rays and anything else Stripe needs. And a grease gland cleaning as he's stopped grooming. Nail trim for both.

It's out of the city so here's to hoping I don't hit a deer on the way. They shouldn't be active at that time.

Poor fellow, he sounds uncomfortable. Good luck at the vet tomorrow. I hope the deer are sleeping when you drive.

Good luck for tomorrow, thinking of you ❤️

Thanks everyone, we leave for the vet in a couple hours.

Stripe had his romaine this morning but is still hobbling. Hoping to get some pain meds for him. Do they make them tasty for guinea pigs?

Really glad they could squeeze me in today. I think they are sick of me calling with questions and updates for his chart.

This vet has been approved by the West Michigan Critter Haven which is our local small animal rescue.

It's a 40 minute drive in the country and I have only been there once, so we'll leave early in case of a wrong turn. I don't drive highways.

I'll update you when we get home.

Are you taking Chez as a paw holder for him? The good news is that most piggies LOVE the pain meds as soon as they get used to the idea of a syringe, then they come running for it. Ask your vet for dog strength (if pain medications are prescribed) as piggy metabolism works very fast.
Good luck Stripe, try not to nip the Nasty Vet Man.

Yes, Chez is along, I'm in the exam room waiting for the tech, Chez is back getting his nails done.

So far she looked in his eyes and found a little hay poke possibly from the ride over. Eye drops for a week, twice a day.

He's going back for the X-ray.

She says he's calm and a good boy.

X-rays good. No broken bones, sludge or stones.

Nothing visibly wrong with Stripe, but like @Wiebke said, maybe a behavioral change.

Metacam for a week to see if the behavior changes.

Also eye drops every 12 hours and a recheck of the eye next week.

In June the doctor wrote in his chart that he was nervous, but she said he was calm today. Lap time is working! He loved the tech, when the doctor wanted to see his walking he went right over to her. Now to get Chez used to lap time, he's such a wild child.

I don't think the secretaries like me because I call so much and also I have a trust my mom left me so I had to call the trustee to pay the bill and they all stared. But the doctor likes me

I'm so relieved!

Any tips on eye drops?

X-rays good. No broken bones, sludge or stones.

Nothing visibly wrong with Stripe, but like @Wiebke said, maybe a behavioral change.

Metacam for a week to see if the behavior changes.

Also eye drops every 12 hours and a recheck of the eye next week.

In June the doctor wrote in his chart that he was nervous, but she said he was calm today. Lap time is working! He loved the tech, when the doctor wanted to see his walking he went right over to her. Now to get Chez used to lap time, he's such a wild child.

I don't think the secretaries like me because I call so much and also I have a trust my mom left me so I had to call the trustee to pay the bill and they all stared. But the doctor likes me

I'm so relieved!

Any tips on eye drops?

Hi

Please opt for carbomer-based plain tear gel - it is easier to apply than drops, more effective as it penetrates deeper and longer lasting when applied.
The various brands on offer online are pretty much the same. It one of the things that is worth having at home; you can use it for yourself as well.

All the best.

Thought I heard Chez rumbling and saw him trying to mount Stripe. Stripe is squealing and rumbling. They had kind of a face to face.

Back