Show your crafts (WIP or finished)

So I hadn't done anything craft related for months because who knew a busted fingertip could cause so much havoc? I'm still in awe at myself over that one. But, either way.

These are still all pre-cut threads. My plan is to make the rest of them as I've been doing and once that's over, I'm going to start cutting the threads longer, probably double at first. Then I can add a simple 4 strand plait to the ends to make them easier to tie on.

Edit: helps if I add the image too, lol. Whups.

View attachment 219031
Very skilled, I can’t even play my hair 😆

I was always useless at doing my own hair, but back when I did the macramé bracelets, it's easier to do a braid (even a fishtail one) if the other end is anchored firmly. I used to use a clipboard with a specific sort of clip, if something was clamped in there it was staying clamped in there. No idea if I've still got the clipboards anywhere but the idea doesn't change.

What will be interesting is seeing if I can remember how a fishtail braid works in the first place.

IMG_20221110_153527514.webpIMG_20230202_152423113.webp
So the quilt has made slow progress, I am now working on the Ohio stars, I have 16 to make for the sides, 4 of each colour with 4 contrasting stars as corner stones, those I think will be blue centered with black points. Originally I was going to just do blue/ purple and pink but I decided they needed to be even on each side so have got a grey in the same fabric, they will be bordered in the pale fabric so they look like they are floating hopefully, then to add a darker border again.
That will make it a good size lap quilt, but I'm not sure if I might add more, I'll have to see how it looks.

View attachment 219034View attachment 219035
So the quilt has made slow progress, I am now working on the Ohio stars, I have 16 to make for the sides, 4 of each colour with 4 contrasting stars as corner stones, those I think will be blue centered with black points. Originally I was going to just do blue/ purple and pink but I decided they needed to be even on each side so have got a grey in the same fabric, they will be bordered in the pale fabric so they look like they are floating hopefully, then to add a darker border again.
That will make it a good size lap quilt, but I'm not sure if I might add more, I'll have to see how it looks.
Wow that is looking amazing, you are doing so well!

Why difficult?

Well, every braid follows the same rough pattern, right? So the movements are all similar, they don't change based on thread layout. But you need some kind of pattern on the thread layout because that's what translates into the actual braid.
I've done non-symmetrical patterns before, but this one's busier than most. It makes it harder to tell where I've gone wrong, when I've gone wrong.

😯 could you write down the pattern before you continue? Or is there a way to mark the different ‘rounds’ so you can go back easily?

Nah. Because the thread movements are all the same, it's more a matter of remembering where they're meant to go. Again, it's a symmetry thing. A symmetrical pattern and I could tell which threads work out where. Asymmetry, I can't, because thread colour won't land in the same places as they otherwise would.

I've got just under 4" of braid done so far, so it's not going too badly. Had to rewind only once and I think that was one of the threads just wasn't sitting right, rather than it being in the wrong place. That particular waxed cotton is an odd thread to work with.

I'm not really a crafty person but I would love to learn how to crochet and macrame. We made this a couple of weeks ago for the kiddos "make a famous UK landmark" school project.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230214_083614_com.instagram.android_edit_3924819840146419.webp
    Screenshot_20230214_083614_com.instagram.android_edit_3924819840146419.webp
    60.4 KB · Views: 14
I'm not really a crafty person but I would love to learn how to crochet and macrame. We made this a couple of weeks ago for the kiddos "make a famous UK landmark" school project.
That’s pretty good!

Oh wow! I love them all, that little white piggie on the end is just so cute 🥰 Looks like we have two very talented needle filters on the forum 😊
i must admit i have enjoyed it so far! the more i do, the more i learn. I wanted to do a proper course but none near me - so you tube to the rescue! x

Back