• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ill pigs. I’m losing the joy I once had for my babies.

Are you able to take a pig in? Seeing a vet in person could be helpful to determine how much longer they should be on the antibiotics.

I would recommend saying what you've written in this post, you and your vet would likely determine to continue the course of antibiotics to make sure it is all clear. Yes guinea pigs should have no discharge from their nose at all and their breathing should be clear.

In terms of bea, how old is she? Sometimes unfortunately you do have to make that decision as a pet owner, but there are also many times where we stick with it and sometimes it even comes down to them needing to be on medication for the rest of their lives. I understand you have worked so tirelessly these past couple months, but if things seem to be getting better, is there a chance you could give her a little while longer. Speaking to the vet about the next steps is completely okay and recognizing when your pig may never be getting better is also okay.
Have you done any research into the cause of her repeated illness, or is it just having to constantly fight a URI etc. that's taken a toll on her body, as in my years of owning guinea pigs repeating illness is down to another ailment in the body, but obviously ever pig is different. I think I have asked this before but have a terrible memory.

As for dismissal, unfortunately in small animals, they are often looked over. Whenever I have to speak about my animals I have always related that they are just like dogs, as most people see them as much less but when we are caring for these animals for years and years, they become part of the family.
You may find it helpful getting people to relate to the same bond as a human and a dog, as there is no difference. It is so tough, of course the people on this forum are able to offer you support, but it still hurts when the people you care for the most don't understand how hard this is for you.

I can see how hard you are trying, you are really doing your best for them. Whatever choice you make, they will know you did it for them and so will we.

Are you able to take a pig in? Seeing a vet in person could be helpful to determine how much longer they should be on the antibiotics.

I would recommend saying what you've written in this post, you and your vet would likely determine to continue the course of antibiotics to make sure it is all clear. Yes guinea pigs should have no discharge from their nose at all and their breathing should be clear.

In terms of bea, how old is she? Sometimes unfortunately you do have to make that decision as a pet owner, but there are also many times where we stick with it and sometimes it even comes down to them needing to be on medication for the rest of their lives. I understand you have worked so tirelessly these past couple months, but if things seem to be getting better, is there a chance you could give her a little while longer. Speaking to the vet about the next steps is completely okay and recognizing when your pig may never be getting better is also okay.
Have you done any research into the cause of her repeated illness, or is it just having to constantly fight a URI etc. that's taken a toll on her body, as in my years of owning guinea pigs repeating illness is down to another ailment in the body, but obviously ever pig is different. I think I have asked this before but have a terrible memory.

As for dismissal, unfortunately in small animals, they are often looked over. Whenever I have to speak about my animals I have always related that they are just like dogs, as most people see them as much less but when we are caring for these animals for years and years, they become part of the family.
You may find it helpful getting people to relate to the same bond as a human and a dog, as there is no difference. It is so tough, of course the people on this forum are able to offer you support, but it still hurts when the people you care for the most don't understand how hard this is for you.

I can see how hard you are trying, you are really doing your best for them. Whatever choice you make, they will know you did it for them and so will we.
Thank you very much :) I have a theory, that Bea has had a URI before and I’m not entirely sure it went away. Possibly the course of antibiotics was not long enough, despite my vet concluding it was, which I too thought.

Original course of Baytril possibly triggered more aggressive bloat which has originally been brought on by her stones we believe. Then this second dose is just worsening it.

Hopefully, after I get the all clear with the URI, I’ll evaluate after that, she is still eating and actually maintaining weight despite her hooting noises and watery eyes sitting so sadly in the corners of the cage.

It’s just such a rollercoaster of emotions as cliche as that sounds lol. I’ll go in and she’s sitting there jerking back and forth with squinty eyes. Then I’ll make myself a cup of tea, come back and she’s running around stuffing her face with hay. It’s just so strange, which is why I’m so uncertain of what I should do longing foreward.

Hopefully the 1ml of meloxidyl should kick in properly soon :)

Do you guys know how long it takes pain meds (i.e Meloxidyl and Calpol) to kick in? As this would help me understand her patterns of miraculously picking up again.

Thank you very much :) I have a theory, that Bea has had a URI before and I’m not entirely sure it went away. Possibly the course of antibiotics was not long enough, despite my vet concluding it was, which I too thought.

Original course of Baytril possibly triggered more aggressive bloat which has originally been brought on by her stones we believe. Then this second dose is just worsening it.

Hopefully, after I get the all clear with the URI, I’ll evaluate after that, she is still eating and actually maintaining weight despite her hooting noises and watery eyes sitting so sadly in the corners of the cage.

It’s just such a rollercoaster of emotions as cliche as that sounds lol. I’ll go in and she’s sitting there jerking back and forth with squinty eyes. Then I’ll make myself a cup of tea, come back and she’s running around stuffing her face with hay. It’s just so strange, which is why I’m so uncertain of what I should do longing foreward.

Hopefully the 1ml of meloxidyl should kick in properly soon :)

Do you guys know how long it takes pain meds (i.e Meloxidyl and Calpol) to kick in? As this would help me understand her patterns of miraculously picking up again.
Guinea pigs medication should kick in quite fast and you should see a difference with painkillers etc. in around 30 minutes.

Unfortunately it sounds like bea is really struggling before her pain meds kick in, does she get them twice a day? Guinea pigs metabolize their medication in 12 hours, which is very quick.

Ooh also, will the probiotics have any other effect on her gut mobility, besides maintaining flora of course. I’m using fibreplex 2 hours after their dose.

Guinea pigs medication should kick in quite fast and you should see a difference with painkillers etc. in around 30 minutes.

Unfortunately it sounds like bea is really struggling before her pain meds kick in, does she get them twice a day? Guinea pigs metabolize their medication in 12 hours, which is very quick.
Yeah twice a day, around 9am and 9pm

Yeah twice a day, around 9am and 9pm
Okay, so when her pain meds start to wear off I assume her demeanor changes.

Did you ask your vet about cisapride? It seems like you are doing everything you can do for you pigs, and not seeing a clear end is very tiring, so please take care of yourself.

Okay, so when her pain meds start to wear off I assume her demeanor changes.

Did you ask your vet about cisapride? It seems like you are doing everything you can do for you pigs, and not seeing a clear end is very tiring, so please take care of yourself.
I will tonight :) Thank you for all your suggestions and help it’s so so appreciated.

Hi guys, I’m expecting a call from my vet in about 30 minutes and I’m pretty sure my herd has still got a UTI and the positive effects of the antibiotics are starting to wear off. From being lively and just having a bit of clear discharge on Saturday, they’re now constantly sleeping and Mouse’s nose is yellow once more. I’m really worried, what should I ask from my vet?

Hi guys, I’m expecting a call from my vet in about 30 minutes and I’m pretty sure my herd has still got a UTI and the positive effects of the antibiotics are starting to wear off. From being lively and just having a bit of clear discharge on Saturday, they’re now constantly sleeping and Mouse’s nose is yellow once more. I’m really worried, what should I ask from my vet?

It’s really just a case of a longer course of antibiotics. URIs can sometimes take a while to clear.
You could possibly ask for cultures of the discharge to be taken to see which antibiotic they may best respond to.

Tell them what you say here, they should have an experienced opinion. It does sound like you need some more antibiotics.
Do not feel afraid to talk about their demeanor and the way they are acting on a day to day basis, talk about the ups and the downs.

Do any of you have any experience with stubborn URI’s, I could really use a similar experience to
relate to as I’m struggling quite significantly here lol.

Do any of you have any experience with stubborn URI’s, I could really use a similar experience to

Can you remind me please -

How long have they had URIs?
What antibiotics have they been on/how long has the course(s) been?

Freddie URI 2 weeks Baytril.
Nugget URI 2 weeks Baytril.
Brillo developed Pneumonia and ear infection 2 months Baytril.
Red developed Pneumonia 1 month Baytril.

We didn't change antibiotic because they were responding to Baytril all be it slowly. It takes time, they all respond differently and it depends what else is going on as well, they all had/have other various underlying health issues. It maybe worth discussing testing the bacteria with your vet to see if a different antibiotic would work. My boys all had weekly vet visits while they were ill to make sure the infection was clearing and that they were benefitting from the various meds they were on. Brillo and Red had Bisolven and terbutaline.

Freddie URI 2 weeks Baytril.
Nugget URI 2 weeks Baytril.
Brillo developed Pneumonia and ear infection 2 months Baytril.
Red developed Pneumonia 1 month Baytril.

We didn't change antibiotic because they were responding to Baytril all be it slowly. It takes time, they all respond differently and it depends what else is going on as well, they all had/have other various underlying health issues. It maybe worth discussing testing the bacteria with your vet to see if a different antibiotic would work. My boys all had weekly vet visits while they were ill to make sure the infection was clearing and that they were benefitting from the various meds they were on. Brillo and Red had Bisolven and terbutaline.
It feels as though they got better around day 4 and then it’s slowly going back down again. Any reason that could be?

Can you remind me please -

How long have they had URIs?
What antibiotics have they been on/how long has the course(s) been?
They had noticeable symptoms around 2 weeks before I got them medicine, I thought it was just hay dust initially as I changed the hay. They are on day 6 today after starting 0.2ml baytril 2x a day from Wednesday.

It feels as though they got better around day 4 and then it’s slowly going back down again. Any reason that could be?
I'm not a vet so I could be completely wrong! Did they have Metacam? The anti inflammatory properties of the Metacam could have been making them more comfortable as well as taking away any pain of course.

I’m so so worried as I’ve just had a look at Bea’s nose and she’s got bright green snot again. I’m right back to square one after 6 days of Baytril. I’m not sure what to do next. I have exams and essays due in 2 days.

I’m so so worried as I’ve just had a look at Bea’s nose and she’s got bright green snot again. I’m right back to square one after 6 days of Baytril. I’m not sure what to do next. I have exams and essays due in 2 days.
Did you have your call with the vet? How did it go?

You are just going to have to talk to the vet about as said before maybe cultures of the snot as some antibiotics work better than others etc. and definitely a continued course of antibiotics for now. I am not so informed on all the different antibiotics for pigs but I know in humans some work better for one than another.
Progress isn't linear, and if anyone your vet should listen to your concerns and help you make a plan for the future.
It seems you may still have a good bit of 'progress road' ahead of you, so if possible celebrate the positives and negatives minorly. Some may disagree but I have struggled with anxiety my whole life, and only recently had to deal with 4 sick animals in my house, and lessening my positive reaction/planning was the only thing that helped lessen the disappoint when things did not go the way I wanted.

How is your work coming along, there is a chance you could get some leeway with your work if you reach out to your college/uni. Is there someone that can come over and help you either with the pigs or help you get some course work done as the company of a loved one or friend can often be comforting.

Do you have any hobbies or skills you enjoy partaking in? It can be hard to remove yourself from such a stressful situation and even someone telling you to take care of yourself can feel a little silly, because what does that even mean? So actively participating in something you know you enjoy can be helpful, perhaps go on a night out to a restaurant or bar or have a night to yourself in a library.
You may find this link helpful if it had not been attached before - Pet Owners Anxiety - Practical Tips For Sufferers and For Supporters

Did you have your call with the vet? How did it go?

You are just going to have to talk to the vet about as said before maybe cultures of the snot as some antibiotics work better than others etc. and definitely a continued course of antibiotics for now. I am not so informed on all the different antibiotics for pigs but I know in humans some work better for one than another.
Progress isn't linear, and if anyone your vet should listen to your concerns and help you make a plan for the future.
It seems you may still have a good bit of 'progress road' ahead of you, so if possible celebrate the positives and negatives minorly. Some may disagree but I have struggled with anxiety my whole life, and only recently had to deal with 4 sick animals in my house, and lessening my positive reaction/planning was the only thing that helped lessen the disappoint when things did not go the way I wanted.

How is your work coming along, there is a chance you could get some leeway with your work if you reach out to your college/uni. Is there someone that can come over and help you either with the pigs or help you get some course work done as the company of a loved one or friend can often be comforting.

Do you have any hobbies or skills you enjoy partaking in? It can be hard to remove yourself from such a stressful situation and even someone telling you to take care of yourself can feel a little silly, because what does that even mean? So actively participating in something you know you enjoy can be helpful, perhaps go on a night out to a restaurant or bar or have a night to yourself in a library.
You may find this link helpful if it had not been attached before - Pet Owners Anxiety - Practical Tips For Sufferers and For Supporters
Thank you! I’ve requested an extension with half my work, but I’m having to churn through the rest due on Wednesday. I’m so worried about my three girls, I’m so fearful I’m going to lose them all.

My vet didn’t end up calling me in the end, it’s always a bit hit or miss if he’s busy.

I had Zebedee, who developed a URI a few weeks after I adopted him aged about 4years. We tried repeated courses of Baytril or Septrin, none of which completely cleared the URI. My vet thought maybe he had an allergy... Then we saw an exotic vet about my other boar, and when I mentioned Zebedee's problem, she suggested we try Zithromax instead. It's not licensed for piggies so I had to sign a disclaimer, but it worked in 2 weeks.

He kept getting URIs when stressed, but Zithromax usually hit the spot for him. The vet thought he probably had scarring in his lungs due to being neglected outside before he was rescued.

I had Zebedee, who developed a URI a few weeks after I adopted him aged about 4years. We tried repeated courses of Baytril or Septrin, none of which completely cleared the URI. My vet thought maybe he had an allergy... Then we saw an exotic vet about my other boar, and when I mentioned Zebedee's problem, she suggested we try Zithromax instead. It's not licensed for piggies so I had to sign a disclaimer, but it worked in 2 weeks.

He kept getting URIs when stressed, but Zithromax usually hit the spot for him. The vet thought he probably had scarring in his lungs due to being neglected outside before he was rescued.
That’s so so helpful, hopefully I’ll get a call from my vet tomorrow and I’ll suggest that, then hopefully be able to pick it up Wednesday, if not, I’m going straight to the vets Wednesday.

2 of my pigs were also prescribed zithromax for URIs.

There are other antibiotics to try and some URIs need a combination of two so I’ve read to finally get rid of them. I’d definitely say get a culture. They’re producing mucus so I’d hope you could get a definitive answer as to what bacteria they have and then the vet can prescribe the right antibiotic. Otherwise it’s almost like they’re guessing and trying to gauge what’s working.

Unfortunately our swab came back inconclusive so we’re guessing. It’s so hard when they seem better one minute and worse the next to judge what is working or not working.

I don’t know anything about bloat but I’d say you’ve not exhausted options for fighting the URI. And maybe if you can get rid of that Bea will be feeling a lot better. How old is Bea?

I know you you feel. Our Oreo is 6 and a quarter and I thought we were going to lose her a couple of nights lately. Then she seemed really bright again, active and demanding her salad. But she’s lost more weight and it’s going down each day so now we’ve starting syringe feeding to try and get her weight back up til we can see the vet on Friday. She if it’s respiratory, something else or just age and that time is coming. She seems to be eating a good amount so I’m surprised the weights dropping off so fast. We’re bracing ourselves as we know it’s only going one way, we just don’t know how long she has.

There are other antibiotics to try and some URIs need a combination of two so I’ve read to finally get rid of them. I’d definitely say get a culture. They’re producing mucus so I’d hope you could get a definitive answer as to what bacteria they have and then the vet can prescribe the right antibiotic. Otherwise it’s almost like they’re guessing and trying to gauge what’s working.

Unfortunately our swab came back inconclusive so we’re guessing. It’s so hard when they seem better one minute and worse the next to judge what is working or not working.

I don’t know anything about bloat but I’d say you’ve not exhausted options for fighting the URI. And maybe if you can get rid of that Bea will be feeling a lot better. How old is Bea?

I know you you feel. Our Oreo is 6 and a quarter and I thought we were going to lose her a couple of nights lately. Then she seemed really bright again, active and demanding her salad. But she’s lost more weight and it’s going down each day so now we’ve starting syringe feeding to try and get her weight back up til we can see the vet on Friday. She if it’s respiratory, something else or just age and that time is coming. She seems to be eating a good amount so I’m surprised the weights dropping off so fast. We’re bracing ourselves as we know it’s only going one way, we just don’t know how long she has.
I’ve got an appointment with out cavy savvy vet at 10:15 tomorrow, my boyfriend is going as I have a uni deadline tomorrow lol, I’m going to facetime haha. I’ll ask for a culture, different antibiotics and say all the things I’ve said on here, fingers crossed.

I’ve got an appointment with out cavy savvy vet at 10:15 tomorrow, my boyfriend is going as I have a uni deadline tomorrow lol, I’m going to facetime haha. I’ll ask for a culture, different antibiotics and say all the things I’ve said on here, fingers crossed.
Good luck for the appointment tomorrow. I hope your vet listens to you, and that s/he is reasonably cavy-savvy.

Regarding antibiotics, there are several that aren't licensed for guinea pigs but do work against certain infections. When Zebedee had his last URI, the Zithromax didn't work, and we (my vet, me, and Zeb) went through a number of different ones, including nebulised Baytril and Marbocyl, to try to find one that worked. In the end, a chance sneeze while I was holding him enabled me to get a sample for culturing which showed that the bug he had needed Sulfatrim, which was probably the only antibiotic we hadn't tried at that point. So as mentioned above a culture may be a good idea. { Unfortunately I've heard since that vets (mine at least) won't use mucus that's been sneezed out for culturing and would probably use more 'invasive' methods :( . }

Sending all your piggies healing vibes 💓

Back