• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ill pigs. I’m losing the joy I once had for my babies.

I feel your pain :(

After having a piggy with an abscess and dentals for 6 months until she died of cancer, I now have her sister who has an abscess that I’m now stressing about. I’ve spent thousands on vets bills and I’m getting out of my depth now even thinking about getting a loan to pay for further care.
The stress of syringe feeding and meds around the clock and buying critical care and fibreplex constantly it never seems to end.

I haven’t ready the whole thread but I can totally relate to what you are going through as I’m sure all of us can at some point.

I certainly can’t get any more after my older girl passes and I’ll have to rehome the young one to where I got her.

I love them with all my heart and they have been in my life for 7 years. I also live alone so they are my company but I can’t afford or have the stress anymore :( I wish they were simpler pets x

Hey guys, just about to head off to the library to do some work, I just wanted to update.

Vet said continue the Baytril as they’d only had 7 days on Wednesday, Meep and Mouse seem to be slowly picking up. I mentioned I was sure Baytril wasn’t working for Bea, but he insisted that we should try another week with a longer course.

Today she’s barely eating hay, runs to the corners of the cage and just sits there. She’s not bloated just seems extremely tired, her nose is green again and the antibiotics seemed to have not worked whatsoever.

I’ve requested a call of my vet again around 6, I want to take her there myself but I just can’t I have so much Uni work today and have already got an extension and been there just 3 days ago.

Fingers crossed she’s perscribed something else over the phone we can pick up tomorrow. It really isn’t looking good for her :(( She’s dropped loads of weight and feels so very skinny, I’ll be syringe feeding her tonight but I just don’t have the time right now. Please let me know if there is more I can do :(

She’ll just sniff and nip at the hay then run to a corner to sit there. I can see she’s eating loads of her own poops though and has had one ot two nuggets and drinking loads of water. And she’s quite energetic aswell. I’m quite confused :(

She’ll just sniff and nip at the hay then run to a corner to sit there. I can see she’s eating loads of her own poops though so I’m quite confused
Hey guys, just about to head off to the library to do some work, I just wanted to update.

Vet said continue the Baytril as they’d only had 7 days on Wednesday, Meep and Mouse seem to be slowly picking up. I mentioned I was sure Baytril wasn’t working for Bea, but he insisted that we should try another week with a longer course.

Today she’s barely eating hay, runs to the corners of the cage and just sits there. She’s not bloated just seems extremely tired, her nose is green again and the antibiotics seemed to have not worked whatsoever.

I’ve requested a call of my vet again around 6, I want to take her there myself but I just can’t I have so much Uni work today and have already got an extension and been there just 3 days ago.

Fingers crossed she’s perscribed something else over the phone we can pick up tomorrow. It really isn’t looking good for her :(( She’s dropped loads of weight and feels so very skinny, I’ll be syringe feeding her tonight but I just don’t have the time right now. Please let me know if there is more I can do :(

I’m sorry to hear this.

I know it’s difficult for you, but of course losing weight means she isn’t eating enough and needs to be syringe fed a lot more.

Eating lots of her own poops would most likely signify she has an upset tummy.

If the baytril hasn’t made any difference so far, then while a long course may be needed, there are different ones which can be given and may be more effective

I’m sorry to hear this.

I know it’s difficult for you, but of course losing weight means she isn’t eating enough and needs to be syringe fed a lot more.

Eating lots of her own poops would most likely signify she has an upset tummy.

If the baytril hasn’t made any difference so far, then while a long course may be needed, there are different ones which can be given and may be more effective
I gave her a dose of fibreplex two hours before her antibiotics this morning, reckon another may help?

He’s perscribed another antibiotic for me to pick up monday, didn’t specify what on the phone and said it will be taken along side Baytril, is that common practice?

Also while I’m seeing slight improvements Meep and Mouse seem to be going downhill again aswell. I completely forgot to mention it on the phone and now I fear they’re going to start going downhill again aswell.

Hi guys, just wondering, would emeprid affect the effectiveness of Baytril?
I do not think so, I have had many pigs on those medications at the same time with good results.
They work with each other, or alongside each other I should say.

How are you and the girls doing?
P.S I had a extra look for you just to double check and found this previous thread that reiterates what I had written.
It is a good point besides my answer that if you are ever really needing an answer searching up like terms on this forum, you will most likely find an answer as this forum has been around since like 2006 I believe.
Baytril, Zantac And Emeprid.

I do not think so, I have had many pigs on those medications at the same time with good results.
They work with each other, or alongside each other I should say.

How are you and the girls doing?
P.S I had a extra look for you just to double check and found this previous thread that reiterates what I had written.
It is a good point besides my answer that if you are ever really needing an answer searching up like terms on this forum, you will most likely find an answer as this forum has been around since like 2006 I believe.
Baytril, Zantac And Emeprid.
Amazing thank you so so much! Also would doing an f-10 nebulisation mess up the baytril at all do you know?

Amazing thank you so so much! Also would doing an f-10 nebulisation mess up the baytril at all do you know?
Unfortunately I do not have any personal experience with nebulizing, so would not be able to comment on that, but from a general understanding they should work together.
But I do believe there are quite a few members on here that have/do nebulize for URI's etc. and hopefully one will see this thread and give you a more clear answer.

Unfortunately I do not have any personal experience with nebulizing, so would not be able to comment on that, but from a general understanding they should work together.
But I do believe there are quite a few members on here that have/do nebulize for URI's etc. and hopefully one will see this thread and give you a more clear answer.
thank you! I’ll give it an hour between just to be sure :))

F10 nebulisation is absolutely fine with Baytril. I've done it under vet instruction several times. I usually nebulise before or after giving meds as when they are having intensive treatment it's one or two less times a day to take them out of their cage.

Back