• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ill pigs. I’m losing the joy I once had for my babies.

How many times a day is she having these doses?

I’m not sure the effectiveness of calpol in piggies so cannot comment on it.
Cat metacam is a low dose but again due to the calpol I don’t know what effect it will have.

I’m sending you my support.

As pound shilling and pig has also said, there are other gut meds which work on different parts of the gut. It would be worth having a chat with your vet about them

Right, any other suggestions, she’s had 0.1 emeprid and 0.2 cat metacam and 0.4 calpol, anything else I could give to help her?
0.1ml of emeprid? If so, that is a very low dose, but it is depending on age, size and the gravity of the illness.

Cisapride may be something you want to look into, aswell as in increased dose of emeprid and even pain killer. Obviously you and your vet know best but if you're struggling to break through that first bit of recovery upping it may be something to look into.

With my boy we started at 0.6ml of emeprid, 0.45ml of cat loxicom and 0.12ml of cisapride and by the end we were at 1ml of emeprid, 0.22ml of dog loxicom and 0.12ml of cisapride. As well as critical care and fibreplex.
Have you thought/talked about fully removing vegetables, I had a sow who was ill and as a direct affect of that she struggled with bloat. When it came down to it removing vegetables as she was getting everything she needed from her hay and her nuggets was a great option for us, which helped stable her, but may not work for any other pig.

I am keeping my fingers crossed things get better for you and your girls soon, you are so strong.

0.1ml of emeprid? If so, that is a very low dose, but it is depending on age, size and the gravity of the illness.

Cisapride may be something you want to look into, aswell as in increased dose of emeprid and even pain killer. Obviously you and your vet know best but if you're struggling to break through that first bit of recovery upping it may be something to look into.

With my boy we started at 0.6ml of emeprid, 0.45ml of cat loxicom and 0.12ml of cisapride and by the end we were at 1ml of emeprid, 0.22ml of dog loxicom and 0.12ml of cisapride. As well as critical care and fibreplex.
Have you thought/talked about fully removing vegetables, I had a sow who was ill and as a direct affect of that she struggled with bloat. When it came down to it removing vegetables as she was getting everything she needed from her hay and her nuggets was a great option for us, which helped stable her, but may not work for any other pig.

I am keeping my fingers crossed things get better for you and your girls soon, you are so strong.
I really want to heighten the dose of emeprid but my vets has literally just shut. Reckon I could up it to 0.3?

That’s fair enough. Sorry just very exhausted right now, trying to see what I can do while the vets is closed.
It is very tiring, please do not do anything without vet input.
Keep doing as you are doing, it is so tough and the end seems to never come but it will.

Please keep pushing and remember to take time for yourself aswell. :hug:

We get it and we are all here to support you.
If she is really struggling then you can call an out of hours vet for advice.
Are your normal vets open tomorrow at all?

No it’s sunday :((

Ok, so If you are worried about her then it would be an emergency vet
(just wondered as different practices do different things - my own vets (a small village practice) are open on for an hour or so on Sundays for urgent enquiries).

Upped the dose, an almost instant improvement oh my gosh. On the phone to the vet first thing monday to ask for giant bottles of meloxidyl and emeprid lol :yahoo:
I’m very glad to hear it.

Come on bea you got this! I’ve got my fingers crossed for you all x

Hi Guys!

I just wanted to ask u guys about your experiences with Baytril and antibiotics for a URI in general. The pigs seemed to have improved lots, their appetites are back, they’re gaining weight and today is day 6 of their course. They had dark green snot and crust from their nose and it had seemed to have turned back to clear as of yesterday. But I just checked Mouse’s snot with a q-tip and it seems to have got a slight yellow tinge back to it. All of them still have clear fluid coming out of their nose, be it less, and have a slight clicky sounding noise when they breathe, it sounds just like their bunged up.

I’m just wondering as I’m nearing the end of my course with them, should I ask for another round of antibiotics if their noses still aren’t clear and does their condition tend to fluctuate on antibiotics because I’m just very worried that Mouse’s nose seems to be turning yellow again.

Gonna call my vet tonight. Would you guys be able to help me make a list of things to ask him? Thank you for all your help again. If it weren’t for you guys I don’t think they would’ve made it this far :luv:

I'm sorry you are having to put up with that reaction.
I don't mention it. The only people I talk to about sick piggies are the vets. I got fed up with the negative reactions and the "but it's only a guinea pig" statements.

Hope this isn’t too much of a downer or a change of tune for anyone, but I just read over Wiebke’s absolutely incredible guide for end of life care and a terminally ill piggy. It’s kind of an unspoken feeling I know me and my vet share that Bea probably won’t get any better. She wants to eat, she wants to have a little nibble of hay and a few nuggets, but she’s starting to head over to corners of the cage hunched over, won’t come out when I rustle the nugget or hay bags and is just constantly being force fed medicine and critical care.

Her health has been declining for about 4 months now and a combined bloat condition and uri is not a pleasant combination. I have fought for months and so has she and when that little brightness comes back for a few days, it often will go again very quickly. I’m starting to consider my options and be a bit more realistic. I’m going to call my vet tonight and ask him his opinion on her long term. She’s on day 6 of Baytril and that does seem to be upsetting her stomach, as does the large dose of medicines. I’m just desperate to hold out until the end of the course just for a little smidge of hope she may pull through, but just looking at her I can see she’s clearly in a lot of discomfort.

I’m very torn about what my next steps are, I want to keep going with these meds and wait and see wait and see wait and see. But I know Bea for being this larger than life hyperactive girl and I can see she’s not really there anymore.

I think for now, I’ll finish the course of antibiotics and see how she is after that and then go from
there.

As an anxious person, it can help having a definite end result, so reading Wiebke’s thread really made me think a bit more straightforwardly than I have been, clouded in my emotions and I’m starting to consider it what I am doing is best for her, or best for me.

This whole experience has also made me realise that the whole notion of a pet ‘being’ for a human is very misleading. These animals don’t solely exist for us I believe, whilst we obviously do get joy from their lives, we exist for them, to provide them with a wonderful life. I feel like it may be time to say goodbye to Bea soon, and accepting that is really helping. I’ll keep you all updated this evening. If you have any other suggestions please let me know :)

Gonna call my vet tonight. Would you guys be able to help me make a list of things to ask him? Thank you for all your help again. If it weren’t for you guys I don’t think they would’ve made it this far :luv:

I’d definitely ask about another course of ABs if it’s not 100% cleared up. Good luck. It seems like they are on the mend.

Hi Guys!

I just wanted to ask u guys about your experiences with Baytril and antibiotics for a URI in general. The pigs seemed to have improved lots, their appetites are back, they’re gaining weight and today is day 6 of their course. They had dark green snot and crust from their nose and it had seemed to have turned back to clear as of yesterday. But I just checked Mouse’s snot with a q-tip and it seems to have got a slight yellow tinge back to it. All of them still have clear fluid coming out of their nose, be it less, and have a slight clicky sounding noise when they breathe, it sounds just like their bunged up.

I’m just wondering as I’m nearing the end of my course with them, should I ask for another round of antibiotics if their noses still aren’t clear and does their condition tend to fluctuate on antibiotics because I’m just very worried that Mouse’s nose seems to be turning yellow again.
Just wanted to check with the URI’s, we’re aiming for no discharge at all? No clicks, just clean nose and clear breathing.

Back