• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ill pigs. I’m losing the joy I once had for my babies.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with so many sick pigs all at once. As Sweet Potato said, this is the darker side of love that no one likes to talk about... the worry and the anxiety and the grief. It's grueling having a sick pet. I think everyone on this forum has been there and understands the worry and the despair when things aren't going as we'd like. It's hard seeing little guys we love be sick, or uncomfortable, or old, or frail, and feeling like nothing we try is helping. We've got guinea pigs and also hamsters and the hamsters really tear the soul out of me because they are such sweet little things, full of personality... and they live a couple years. And it's just so hard. So now I try to go into having pets with the knowledge that they are going to give me many happy days... and also some painful, devastatingly sad days. And that's kind of the price of having small animals in your life.

As others have said, please take care of your own mental health too. You can't be good for anyone else if you aren't holding together yourself. Sometimes we forget to do this. Whatever that means... go out with a friend once all the meds are given. Watch a movie you like. Listen to music. Take a warm bath. Whatever helps. Remember that you are doing the best you can, and that your pigs are lucky to have someone who loves them and is doing their best to help. And remember not to lose hope, because these little guys can really surprise us. One of my past pigs, Sundae, had a ton of chronic issues (dental abscesses and bladder issues) and I remember bawling my eyes out when she was two because she was so young and I thought there was no chance of her having a normal lifespan... but she went on to live until she was almost 7 years old! She so far exceeded my expectations and honestly, taking care of her through her issues and giving her a happy life was a privilege. Hang in there, you got this and everyone here will understand what you're going through and support you.

I can only echo what others have said.
Caring for sick piggies is hard work and emotionally exhausting.
All I can add is support and some virtual hugs 🤗 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

Sending you my very best wishes and lots of support. You are doing very well, I know how disheartening looking after multiple sick piggies can be. Things will get better. I hope you can see the light at the end of the tunnel very soon.

It may be premature but I’m feeling pretty optimistic this evening. Everyone’s tucking in to the timothy hay and loving it. Mouse and bea barely have any discharge from their noses, the antibacterial nebuliser my vet recommended (touch wood) seems to be working, along with the Ventipulmin syrup in terms of the URI.

I’ve accepted that Bea will probably never not have bloat now and if she does suddenly recover I know it’ll only be short term. End of life care isn’t fun but as she licks me after she’s had her metacam and 3 other meds lol, I can’t help but think she’s saying thank you for helping me.

They’re all down in weight this morning which isn’t great lol. May ring my vet this afternoon if they go down any further :(( What do u guys think? The green snot from their nose isn’t pleasant

They’re all down in weight this morning which isn’t great lol. May ring my vet this afternoon if they go down any further :(( What do u guys think? The green snot from their nose isn’t pleasant

How much has been lost this morning?
How much in total has been lost?
How much are you syringe feeding?

By what is their weight down?

I kinda slowed down on the syringe feeding, partly because they seemed to be eating in their own and also because I just don’t have time I have so many essays due and it’s so difficult to balance everything

Please do tell us what total weight loss is.
This is essential to know given it tells us whether it is significant and actually considered weight loss in total.

I’ve just looked back on another one of your posts where you said they are maintaining weight, and always stay within the fluctuation. Unless they have lost 50g or more than it is not considered weight loss at all

Meep: 1150 - 1098
Mouse: 1000 - 968
Bea: 1020 - 970

52g
32g
50g

Mouse isn’t yet considered to be losing weight at all.
Meep and Bea have just reached the point where you keep a closer eye. So, continue daily weight checks and if any more is lost, then they may need some support feeding.

52g
32g
50g

Mouse isn’t yet considered to be losing weight at all.
Meep and Bea have just reached the point where you keep a closer eye. So, continue daily weight checks and if any more is lost, then they may need some support feeding.
They all used to be another +50g but that was before I began to reduce their nuggets from a full bowl everyday to the 1 teaspoon each. So in my mind they’re still 1200, 1070 and 1050. Thank you for that. I have critical on stand by.

They just seem to have lost their appetites a bit. I will keep a v close eye.

I just wanted to say you're not alone. I've got all five of mine with some respiratory issue and it's been a month and they're getting gradually worse and the vet doesn't know what it is. I feel the same as you. Just exhausted and constantly anxious/worried about them. I wish I could go back to two months ago when I had six healthy happy piggies and all it was was joy and happiness. But hang in there. We will get through this. Know that you are not alone in these feelings. There will be more of us going through the same. There's a lot of love and understanding on this forum as well x

I just wanted to say you're not alone. I've got all five of mine with some respiratory issue and it's been a month and they're getting gradually worse and the vet doesn't know what it is. I feel the same as you. Just exhausted and constantly anxious/worried about them. I wish I could go back to two months ago when I had six healthy happy piggies and all it was was joy and happiness. But hang in there. We will get through this. Know that you are not alone in these feelings. There will be more of us going through the same. There's a lot of love and understanding on this forum as well x
Thank you for sharing that, it’s always such a wonderful wake up call coming to this forum. There’s no fluffing, there’s owners struggling and you feel validated and seen, from seeing herds of 50 on instagram all tucking in to their pounds of veggies, or videos of pigs in little hats or costumes, it’s always so good to know that there is a downside to pet ownership for everyone, not just me, that is seldom seen in online spaces. Which is why I am forever grateful to this forum.

Thank you for sharing that, it’s always such a wonderful wake up call coming to this forum. There’s no fluffing, there’s owners struggling and you feel validated and seen, from seeing herds of 50 on instagram all tucking in to their pounds of veggies, or videos of pigs in little hats or costumes, it’s always so good to know that there is a downside to pet ownership for everyone, not just me, that is seldom seen in online spaces. Which is why I am forever grateful to this forum.
That's very true and I never thought of that exactly. Fortunately you do get loads of happy times and memories and I'd like to say most of us have much more of that compared to these hard, heart-wrenching times. But when you're in the thick of it it's hard to see that because you're so focused on trying to get them back healthy!

You can go mad with worry I think especially adding how much time it takes to look after them and the money we spend. It would be so much easier if the vet could say 'yep, it's this. we'll do this and they'll get better'. Until this year whenever I had a pig/s recovering from an op or sick or terminally ill, we knew what it was and what to expect. And they either did well and improved or followed their terminal diagnosis but at least we knew what was happening. We've now had our first death without exact answers which I'm learning to cope with, and not only the first time when we don't know what it is and things aren't really helping but the first group illness all at once.

You almost forget that these things can happen when you get your pets because you have all those loving, amazing times, you go straight back in to look after more through their lives and that includes the highs and the lows. And if you know you look after them following all the advice you don't expect things to go so wrong at times. I guess I feel differently now that I have had pigs for 6.5 years, lost three, have my last senior pig and four young ones and that the herd transitions through these different members until there are no original ones left. It's new and complicated feelings. Whereas in the first 4 years of ownership although we had one op and a nursing a rescue to health, we were lucky in retrospect, it felt like it was nothing but happy times. It almost felt like they'd be part of our lives forever even though you know logically they won't be. Now piggy ownership doesn't feel like that especially if these five all need daily care for chronic issues for the rest of their lives. I didn't see it coming. I still love them with all my heart but my heart is now also so heavy with worry for them and I feel like I've got to be even more vigilant as they're more vulnerable. But at some point I've got to look after myself and not constantly watch them for deterioration.

I'm always so thankful for this forum that there are so many piggy owners who have been or are where you are. It helps me to feel less alone.

I really do wish you and your piggy family all the very best and send lots of healing vibes.

How are their weights? Try not to obsess over watching them whether they're eating or not. I did and it didn't help me. Just weigh each day at the same time. They will vary by around 50g. If you're doing it every day you will soon see what each pig's average is. Then if they drop more than 50g beneath that it's more of an indication than if they drop 50g from what could be a high weight for them. One of mine "lost" about 100g one day to the next and I was freaked out. Turned out I'd weighed her at different times and that heavy weight was way higher than where she averages out to.

The critical care and pro biotic bowl is going down a treat! Big piles of timothy are producing some lovely dark, round poops. AND! Noses have gone from bright green snot, to light yellow/clear snot.

TOUCH WOOD! Things seem to be looking up! I am forever grateful to my lovely boyfriend for looking after them and giving them their meds for 2 days whilst I cleared my head and stayed with my parents to get some uni work done. Let me know if you have any other suggestions!!

Attachments

• 92C10D4D-B1E1-432E-8201-2C37765090BC.webp
    92C10D4D-B1E1-432E-8201-2C37765090BC.webp
    77 KB · Views: 8
  • EAA8E648-0B90-4F68-8B3B-4F265FFCE63D.webp
    EAA8E648-0B90-4F68-8B3B-4F265FFCE63D.webp
    112.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 97691231-809A-4E42-BDC7-E787B443653B.webp
    97691231-809A-4E42-BDC7-E787B443653B.webp
    88.6 KB · Views: 8
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    67.6 KB · Views: 8
I’m so glad things are looking up and you have your boyfriend to take over so you can have a break and clear your head! I hope that’s helped you to feel better and refreshed :) we work shifts and it’s a relief when my boyfriend can do it so it doesn’t feel like all the responsibility for your fluffy potatoes rests on your shoulders. Sending lots of love to you and your piggies

Glad to hear the piggies are on the mend.
It’s lovely that your boyfriend is so supportive.
Hope the uni work goes well and the piggies are fully recovered soon

You have done an amazing job and handled things really well by giving yourself a short break.
Fingers crossed they continue to improve.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Had a look at their noses last night and there was that horrible green mucus, rang my vet and he said nows the time to really crack on with the antibiotics. Bea is prone to bloat and Meep already has a decreased appetite, omg I’m so so nervous to use Baytril but I just want them to get better. Given their first dose this morning, beyond anxious.

Back