DISCUSSION THREAD ABOUT DENTAL IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT -

It saddens me that a number of forum members that normally advocate for TEAS and attend their fund raising events are conspicuous by their absence. ☹️ Not everyone likes confrontation but sometimes we have to speak up for what is right.
But we don't know what other people may be doing outside the forum...most folks especially rescues and their helpers are very busy both with their piggies and their day to day lives, and have to prioritise. So there are probably lots of testimonials being sent in without the writer mentioning it on here. And also, some people are lucky enough to have never needed the help of TEAS or C&R, so can't write a testimonial from experience.

As well as testimonials, would it be a good idea to publicise the issue more, by doing a 'press release' and sending it to all the local media eg Northampton papers, local radio, BBC Midlands/ East Midlands etc? Local media seem to like animal stories, and if we can highlight the massive good work currently being done, then the threat to it, maybe we can get more, even national, traction on it - "Life-saving local animal sanctuary threatened with closure due to change in law" or something similar .

Debbie, do you know how many piggies you have cared for permanently or temporarily at TEAS over the years?

Debbie I am not surprised. You must be feeling so many emotions and most likely feel alone. You are not alone. Whatever happens there are people here and elsewhere who hold you in their hearts. I have been thinking this situation isn't just about the piggies but about the impact on the humans involved too. Try not to dwell on those you can't help right now. You are a hugely kind and caring person. Those piggies in your care are lucky to be with you and for now are safe. Stay safe. I feel (at least in part) your pain 💔💔💔
Thank you Nicky! It's hard when you live alone and have no-one to discuss your emotions and frustrations with! Are you around for a chat on the phone sometime? x

As well as testimonials, would it be a good idea to publicise the issue more, by doing a 'press release' and sending it to all the local media eg Northampton papers, local radio, BBC Midlands/ East Midlands etc? Local media seem to like animal stories, and if we can highlight the massive good work currently being done, then the threat to it, maybe we can get more, even national, traction on it - "Life-saving local animal sanctuary threatened with closure due to change in law" or something similar .

Debbie, do you know how many piggies you have cared for permanently or temporarily at TEAS over the years?
I don't want the press involving, as I think it would be very inflammatory and could do more harm than good. I will be speaking with Simon again later, regarding next steps x

But we don't know what other people may be doing outside the forum...most folks especially rescues and their helpers are very busy both with their piggies and their day to day lives, and have to prioritise. So there are probably lots of testimonials being sent in without the writer mentioning it on here. And also, some people are lucky enough to have never needed the help of TEAS or C&R, so can't write a testimonial from experience.
Sorry but are you insinuating that i am not busy and have nothing better to do. I have a full-time job were i have to work to deadlines set by our clients, this often means that i work 12 hour days and i also care for 8 guinea pigs. I am actually writing this post between attending meetings. People don't have to write a testimonial but could at least add their support for Debbie.

Sorry but are you insinuating that i am not busy and have nothing better to do. I have a full-time job were i have to work to deadlines set by our clients, this often means that i work 12 hour days and i also care for 8 guinea pigs. I am actually writing this post between attending meetings. People don't have to write a testimonial but could at least add their support for Debbie.
No not at all. Everybody is different and has different priorities, the main thing is to provide testimonials or whatever other support Debbie needs. I imagine too that there are a lot of clients of C&R and TEAS who aren't forum members, hopefully they are supporting via Facebook

No not at all. Everybody is different and has different priorities, the main thing is to provide testimonials or whatever other support Debbie needs. I imagine too that there are a lot of clients of C&R and TEAS who aren't forum members, hopefully they are supporting via Facebook
Really, that certainly isn't how it came across. To quote you '...most folks' that means that the person you are replying to is not 'most folks' and is therefore not 'very busy'. Anyway i must prioritise my paid work now i have eaten my lunch.

It saddens me that a number of forum members that normally advocate for TEAS and attend their fund raising events are conspicuous by their absence. ☹️ Not everyone likes confrontation but sometimes we have to speak up for what is right.
Although I understand that this means a lot of upheaval for members who use TEAS and C&R, a lot of us don't use the service. This doesn't mean that we don't emphasise with the situation. I no longer have piggies, but when I did, I was extremely lucky that they never encountered dental problems. That said, as a forum we carry no clout in this matter whatsoever. We have no professional standing and are here to provide a online resource for like minded owners. I would appreciate it if members didn't fall out with each other through things which are beyond our control. 👍

Group hug! My anxiety can’t take any more! I’m getting patches like this coming up all over my body as I type! View attachment 226486

Stress eczema is horrible Debbie, I've had it but mine manifested itself as weeping flesh on my shins and nowhere else. For it to come up all over must be really uncomfortable. Have a virtual hug :hug:Have lots as one is never enough :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: . If I lived closer to you these would be real hugs.

You're not alone there's so many people here who want to support you in any way we can. Even if it's just a virtual hug.

Ok i cant find a hug emoji but i could offer you a virtual head massage💆‍♀️ maybe some virtual yoga 🧘‍♂️ could i intrest you in some virtual snacks 🍔 or maybe some virtual wine🍷 self care is whatever you need it to be after all 🤷‍♀️

OK I found this hug emoji but it looks like creepy ghoasts to me 🫂

Emotions are definitely running high. I sent a testimonial earlier today but I can’t think about it for too long without getting angry. The claims these professionals are making is baseless when it comes to Guinea pigs. It’s such a helpless feeling. I don’t see how any Guinea pig owner could oppose conscious dental work, those that do have clearly never owned dental piggies but even then, all you have to do is read the TEAS success stories and that illuminates everything. I really hope we get the result we want but I am strongly doubting it. Conscious dentals kept two of boys alive until they were taken due to unrelated illnesses, it is purely unfair to think they would have been euthanised had the procedure been banned.

Maybe not every busy vet has time to write papers for the BVZS but is caring for animals instead. I believe that Simon and Kim are doing fantastic work and have saved the lives of numerous guinea pigs. If there are people on the forum who think it is right that the piggies at TEAS should be euthanised because they no longer have access to this dental procedure then it's time for me to leave.

I might not be as clever as some forum members but I know what is right. That is definitely not having piggies PTS because some smart ar*e who has not even witnessed this procedure decides to ban it.
Absolutely, well said!

Sending huge hugs to you Debbie :hug:I can’t imagine the sadness and stress you must be feeling

Group hug! My anxiety can’t take any more! I’m getting patches like this coming up all over my body as I type! View attachment 226486
Oh bless you,I'm gonna send a testimonial through tomorrow about pickle (rip) who wouldn't have survived if it wasn't for Simon's expertise.

I hope you're doing OK today Debbie.
I lost a piggy due to molar malocclusion five years ago, and I feel like everything would have been different if he'd been under the care of guinea pig professionals such as Simon and Kim.
Hopefully all your hard work and everyone's testimonials will persuade those in a position of power that conscious dentals are performed with guinea pigs' best interests in mind.
At the very least, the BVZS should take some time to review their statement and really think about it's impact.

I don't want the press involving, as I think it would be very inflammatory and could do more harm than good. I will be speaking with Simon again later, regarding next steps x
Please can you let us know what Simon and Kim feel would be helpful, Debbie.

Although I haven’t contributed to this debate as I am in the fortunate position of not having had piggies with dental issues, I have been following it.

It’s clear this is a very emotive issue for a whole host of reasons but what has saddened me is that some of the debate has been less than gracious.
I have always valued the respect of different opinions shown to people, the courtesy which is usually shown on the forum and the thoughtfulness evidenced.

The forum feels fractured at the moment and I wish it wasn’t.
Please forum friends can we calm down a bit, remember the courtesy and respect for differing points of view that is one of the forum’s strengths and try to listen to each other.

It’s upsetting to know that people are being hurt here, after all, we all care deeply about our piggies and their wellbeing.

Debbie, I’m sorry the stress is making you sick and hope it will ease soon. I will be holding you in my thoughts.

Back