DISCUSSION THREAD ABOUT DENTAL IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT -

I think you are right Eileen, a paper should have been written. We all know here that the evidence speaks for itself. Life gets in the way of busy vets and anyone who knows Simon knows he is a rather kind, quiet, unassuming man who would find it difficult to blow his own trumpet. But yes, it’s such a shame this has reared its ugly head out of the blue. I think rabbit dentistry is another totally different matter and no one in their right mind would even attempt to give a rabbit a dental without GA
I agree. Yes, it would be lovely if a paper had been written but most vets, Simon included, work hugely long hours often going without proper lunch breaks to fit in extras and emergencies and staying back in the evening to ring clients with lab results, etc. He is an employee not a practice owner so would not be able to schedule in time for writing a paper during his working hours. He is also a family man so his work life balance has to include parenting and doing what is right by his children. If he was single and perhaps more academically inclined then maybe he would have written papers. I would emagine the process of writing papers, submitting them, etc could well be yet another layer of stress in the life of a vet and something many could do without in a profession well known for the risks to mental health.
I also agree totally with your comment about rabbit dentistry.

I agree. Yes, it would be lovely if a paper had been written but most vets, Simon included, work hugely long hours often going without proper lunch breaks to fit in extras and emergencies and staying back in the evening to ring clients with lab results, etc. He is an employee not a practice owner so would not be able to schedule in time for writing a paper during his working hours. He is also a family man so his work life balance has to include parenting and doing what is right by his children. If he was single and perhaps more academically inclined then maybe he would have written papers. I would emagine the process of writing papers, submitting them, etc could well be yet another layer of stress in the life of a vet and something many could do without in a profession well known for the risks to mental health.
I also agree totally with your comment about rabbit dentistry.
I think you are absolutely right. Simon works a huge amount of hours and always goes the extra mile. He was absolutely marvellous with us, Ted and Bill. He does work long hours and has a young family too. I cannot imagine how he would have found the time for a paper, hindsight is a wonderful thing. I don’t think anyone isn’t shocked by this motion

I do feel guinea pigs have been added to what is mainly a rabbit dentistry concern, which is a great shame

I agree it's difficult to find the time.in Human medicine academic papers have to be written for every procedure ,drug.doctors and nurses work long hours.
When I put a comment on Facebook regarding this conscious dentals, I was asked for the evidence.The zoological society, had used papers and evidence to back up why they believe conscious dentals should not be used.
It is a very difficult situation all round.

I agree it's difficult to find the time.in Human medicine academic papers have to be written for every procedure ,drug.doctors and nurses work long hours.
When I put a comment on Facebook regarding this conscious dentals, I was asked for the evidence.The zoological society, had used papers and evidence to back up why they believe conscious dentals should not be used.
I am hoping that Simon's clinical notes combined with the records kept by TEAS in the form the fb page which documents the progress of the residents there in photographic and video form, along with records that will have kept by TEAS as a registered charity, will be able to be submitted as evidence, after all it is factual evidence not anecdotal. And I am sure Debbie would welcome members of the zoological society if they wanted to go and visit to meet the living proof. To only accept evidence in the form of clinical papers seems a little harsh to me, after all clinical papers are not evidence in themselves but are a way of formatting evidence.

Last edited:
I was asked for the evidence.The zoological society, had used papers and evidence to back up why they believe conscious dentals should not be used.

To only accept evidence in the form of clinical papers seems a little harsh to me, after all clinical papers are not evidence in themselves but are a way of formatting evidence.
As many of the papers cited in the position statement are over 10 years old, I believe there's a case to be made for new research as things move on in time. (especially since most were about rabbits not guineas).
I wonder how much of the "Supervet"'s procedures were even dreamt of 20 years ago, let alone thought to be in the animal's best interests.

As many of the papers cited in the position statement are over 10 years old, I believe there's a case to be made for new research as things move on in time. (especially since most were about rabbits not guineas).
I wonder how much of the "Supervet"'s procedures were even dreamt of 20 years ago, let alone thought to be in the animal's best interests.
Definitely and I believe the Supervet has had his own problems with the BVZS
Some of these papers are very old, I used to use the Harrcourt-Browns back in the late ‘80’s they were my nearest local vets

I am hoping that Simon's clinical notes combined with the records kept by TEAS in the form the fb page which documents the progress of the residents there in photographic and video form, along with records that will have kept by TEAS as a registered charity, will be able to be submitted as evidence, after all it is factual evidence not anecdotal. And I am sure Debbie would welcome members of the zoological society if they wanted to go and visit to meet the living proof. To only accept evidence in the form of clinical papers seems a little harsh to me, after all clinical papers are not evidence in themselves but are a way of formatting evidence.
Members of the BVZS are very welcome here anytime!

I don’t have any experience of having dental piggies, but if I did have anything serious dental wise I wouldn’t hesitate to get a referral to C&R. I can only lend my support with no testimony, and I hope for the best outcome that saves as many piggy lives as possible.

I don’t have any experience of having dental piggies, but if I did have anything serious dental wise I wouldn’t hesitate to get a referral to C&R. I can only lend my support with no testimony, and I hope for the best outcome that saves as many piggy lives as possible.
Dental stuff can be a real headache, especially when it comes to our little furry friends. While I haven't had any experience with dental piggies myself, I can totally relate to wanting the best for them.

Do we have any update on this whole situation? In all honesty I can’t believe it’s been so long!

Back