DISCUSSION THREAD ABOUT DENTAL IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT -

Most of those that criticise the procedure aren’t able to do a decent job, even with the guinea pig asleep! All of the guinea pigs who are surrendered to TEAS have had unsuccessful GA’s elsewhere, with no success and the guinea pig becoming weaker and weaker. By the time most arrive with us, they’re, quite frankly, at deaths door! However, despite this, we turn them around and within a very short time, they’re eating independently, normally and loving life. Little Shelly is always popcorning around her cage!

If this goes ahead, I’ll have no choice but to take all of our dental guinea pigs to be destroyed. 12 years of hard work will be snuffed out, along with so many little lives! 😡😢

Is there any want/use of statements from people who have lost a pig due to inaccessibility of this procedure.
Although I understand fighting for it to be used/taught in more places is a much larger issue, the least we can do is stop them taking it away from the people who already offer this service and do life saving work.

(I posted a reply on page 2)

I was wondering this exact same thing. After my second osteodystrophy piggy Honey died from repeated aneasthesias for needed dentals, I vowed that I would never put another one through that, and would euthenise instead if a dental issue couldn't be resolved in one or two dentals. I fully believed at the time the repeated work was in her best interests and the risk of being repeatedly put under weren't explained to me.. although to be fair I was about 16/17 so maybe they just assumed I wouldn't understand, I dont know.

But then as an adult I learned about the Cat and Rabbit and knew if needed, that service was available. I took on my 2 lethal whites who thankfully do not (touch wood!) need molar burring, however I had always planned to take on any more that needed it. If conscious dentals become a thing of the past, I will have to go back to my previous stance.

So many animals who could have lived excellent quality lives will be lost 😔

Most of those that criticise the procedure aren’t able to do a decent job, even with the guinea pig asleep! All of the guinea pigs who are surrendered to TEAS have had unsuccessful GA’s elsewhere, with no success and the guinea pig becoming weaker and weaker. By the time most arrive with us, they’re, quite frankly, at deaths door! However, despite this, we turn them around and within a very short time, they’re eating independently, normally and loving life. Little Shelly is always popcorning around her cage!

If this goes ahead, I’ll have no choice but to take all of our dental guinea pigs to be destroyed. 12 years of hard work will be snuffed out, along with so many little lives! 😡😢
In the worst case scenario i would get the press involved and get it out there on social media.

In the worst case scenario i would get the press involved and get it out there on social media.
Absolutely! We are also looking at getting legal representation, if need be, as they would be banning a procedure that they have no knowledge of, regarding how it’s performed.

I was wondering this exact same thing. After my second osteodystrophy piggy Honey died from repeated aneasthesias for needed dentals, I vowed that I would never put another one through that, and would euthenise instead if a dental issue couldn't be resolved in one or two dentals. I fully believed at the time the repeated work was in her best interests and the risk of being repeatedly put under weren't explained to me.. although to be fair I was about 16/17 so maybe they just assumed I wouldn't understand, I dont know.

But then as an adult I learned about the Cat and Rabbit and knew if needed, that service was available. I took on my 2 lethal whites who thankfully do not (touch wood!) need molar burring, however I had always planned to take on any more that needed it. If conscious dentals become a thing of the past, I will have to go back to my previous stance.

So many animals who could have lived excellent quality lives will be lost 😔
I’m sending in my statement anyway, making it clear that my statement is not a testimony of the work TEAS and C&R have done.

Even if not needed now or at all, at least it is there for reference.

Debbie I cant bare the thought of this happening, can only imagine the anguish you're feeling.
Take as many photos and videos as possible of them living their best lives and keep submitting them to the BVZS. If this terrible scenario happens then send them post euthanasia photos too and lay the blame squarely at their feet. 😡

But If conscious dentals do become illegal maybe an exception could be made for pigs currently receiving successful treatment for that treatment to continue?

Rabbits and guinea pigs are not the same.

Debbie I cant bare the thought of this happening, can only imagine the anguish you're feeling.
Take as many photos and videos as possible of them living their best lives and keep submitting them to the BVZS. If this terrible scenario happens then send them post euthanasia photos too and lay the blame squarely at their feet. 😡

But If conscious dentals do become illegal maybe an exception could be made for pigs currently receiving successful treatment for that treatment to continue?

Rabbits and guinea pigs are not the same.
Thank you Nicky! If this happens I’ll definitely be making sure everyone knows what they’ve destroyed and how they’ll have blood on their hands!

I’ve never been very good at standing up for myself, but once I’d had kids I had no trouble speaking up for them and I’ll take this as far as I need to! These beautiful little creatures, who are living their best life, haven’t got a voice, but my god, those trying to destroy all the amazing work and huge successes that have been achieved, thanks to Simon and Kim’s phenomenal skill, will certainly be hearing from me!

I will definitely submit something when I get a chance. Can I ask if this also includes conscious incisor burrs, or just procedures on the back teeth?

I will definitely submit something when I get a chance. Can I ask if this also includes conscious incisor burrs, or just procedures on the back teeth?
I think it’s back teeth, they are still considering incisors as far as I know

Some of the panel are saying a big no to conscious incisor burrs and others are saying it’s fine!

I don't even know why that surprises me, it's about the one thing that makes sense - that they have no idea what they're talking about.

I'd write a testimonial or something but I'm lucky and I've never needed more than one dental (Comet, done under GA), so anything coming from me would be useless. I feel a bit...angry? at that. I know how much good conscious dentals do for the TEAS piggies, the forum piggies, but clearly this lot don't want knowledge or info, or this wouldn't be happening.

Sorry, I know that's not very helpful. I just wish there was something else I could do.

Apparently they can’t agree! Some of the panel are saying a big no to conscious incisor burrs and others are saying it’s fine!
Crazy. My vets will do conscious incisor burring. Some are better than others at it. If Squeaks had had to have GA for his incisor burrings, he'd probably be dead by now. Any dental problem in an older pig would be effectively a death sentence.

Silver and Forrest are going in for their incisors to be burred tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to ask him if he has heard of this, if they ban even incisor burrs then they will have to be euthenised, neither are good candidates for aneasthesia! Hopefully if they get some push back from vets also, they may reconsider.

@sport_billy will have to do that, I don't know how to do banners. 👍
Well can we ask sports billy then.

I think this is one of the most important issues that has certainly come up in my time here We pride ourselves as being “The Best” site for Guinea Pig Welfare and yet the “silence” from the Forum Staff Members have been totally deafening. I would have thought that the least they could have offered was to issued a statement of support for conscious dentals and it’s effectiveness to send to the BZVS

the “silence” from the Forum Staff Members have been totally deafening. I would have thought that the least they could have offered was to issued a statement of support for conscious dentals and it’s effectiveness to send to the BZVS
The problem is I think that the Forum has no legal standing as such, it is just a group of like-minded people, and the mods etc are all ordinary people too, not professionally qualified etc, so their opinions have no more weight than the ordinary members.

Could be wrong, but didn't Ellie Whitehead travel down to watch Simon work on a patient of hers. Does anyone know what her view was and if she would support our cause.x

The problem is I think that the Forum has no legal standing as such, it is just a group of like-minded people, and the mods etc are all ordinary people too, not professionally qualified etc, so their opinions have no more weight than the ordinary members.
I appreciate that and I am in no way wanting to knock anyone but surely as a collective we should issue some kind of statement from the Guinea Pig Forum, perhaps which we can all put our names to as members.

This might not effect you at the moment but may in the future especially if the incisor burring ban comes in to play too

Well can we ask sports billy then.

I think this is one of the most important issues that has certainly come up in my time here We pride ourselves as being “The Best” site for Guinea Pig Welfare and yet the “silence” from the Forum Staff Members have been totally deafening. I would have thought that the least they could have offered was to issued a statement of support for conscious dentals and it’s effectiveness to send to the BZVS
I think that’s a bit of a harsh comment about the silence of the forum staff.
Firstly I’ve no direct experience. Same for some others (I can’t speak for all).
Secondly we staff have multiple different hats and roles. I’m running my own business, looking after my own sick pigs, involved in rescue work, and can’t get on here that much. Same applies for most of the rest of the staff team.
Thirdly the forum has no legal standing or sway whatsoever in terms of policy making at the BZVS. We have no sway. We aren’t a campaigning or lobbying group. We aren’t an association or a group with a constitution or structured committee who could put together any sort of statement that would hold up to scrutiny. That is not what the forum is for. We are a simply group of like minded individuals offering our limited time and experience.

Could be wrong, but didn't Ellie Whitehead travel down to watch Simon work on a patient of hers. Does anyone know what her view was and if she would support our cause.x
I don’t think she attended the video conference

I appreciate that and I am in no way wanting to knock anyone but surely as a collective we should issue some kind of statement from the Guinea Pig Forum, perhaps which we can all put our names to as members.

This might not effect you at the moment but may in the future especially if the incisor burring ban comes in to play too
I’d definitely put my name on something to support it. As you say, thankfully I’ve not had a piggy needing this treatment. But I might in the future and I would want to be able to access this.

OK. Just thought if we could get other vets on board it might help.x
Absolutely, does anyone have vets that have referred their dental guinea pig patient to Simon or Kim or who does consciousness dental work themselves? Are all vets aware of this situation?

Back