Chat Thread.

Google maps shows me that from Trafalgar Square you can walk down to Buckingham Palace, then come back down a different way to near Westminster & Downing Street. Is it really this simple?

Does anyone know this part of London and best way of squashing in major landmarks on foot?

Just watched a bit of TV after finishing work, I saw MrsHogg had recorded a program about the Military Prison in Colchester. Colloquially known as The Glass House to older soldiers. There was also a film crew following my old mob. In my day, this is what we wore when on patrol.
DzB3XfbXgAAmvlK.webp
Very rigid, but we certainly looked the part, very officious and foreboding! Fast forward 30 years, the uniform is very "user friendly" and a lot better for getting "stuck in" at a bar brawl! Is it progress or dumbing down of a once great organisation?
Royal_Military_Police_officers_at_Edinburgh (1).webp

I think it's sad all the services used to look so smart. It must be much more comfortable though. My Dad was a postman, in the old days they wore dark blue wool suits, I loved the red stripe down the trousers. My son used to have fun playing postman pat in Dad's cap. The uniform used to stink when it got wet and of course you couldn't wash it. The colour came out in the rain and my mum used to boil his under ware trying to get it white again. The first time I saw ambulance people in their green boiler suits I thought they were garage mechanics!

Even now as a traffic officer, when I joined 17 years ago, we wore smart trousers, white shirt and tie, now we wear combat pants that make us look like bin men and navy blue polo shirts.

I was on community engagement today, my poor patrol car is covered in dozens of sticky fingerprints from hundreds of rug rats crawling all over it. I'm aching from head to toe from being run ragged by the little err individuals and my head is burnt to a crisp. To add insult to injury, I'm back out in the car tomorrow, so guess who's deep cleaning it on deep clean Sunday! 🤬
IMG_20230826_215341.webp

Your organisation is wonderful.
I really appreciated them when my car broke down on the M1 where it runs with the A1 - all 5 lanes !
They were very kind

Currently watching Gogglebox and it's got to the SAS selection program for celebrities. Watching them do the trainasium and milling, I did that nearly 40 years ago as young Private Hogg in training, scared the hell out of me! 😱😱😱

Most of you won't know this, but my wife and I over the past few weeks have been through some of the hardest times of our lives and the most difficult of our relationship.

Some days have been harder than others. Many tears have flowed and many nights have been spent just trying to survive.

We've had to make some incredibly hard decisions just to make it through.

Sadly now, after a long period of soul searching we have decided with great pain that the time has come.

We can't continue any longer as things are. It's not a decision we have taken lightly but it's been born out of necessity. Something had to change.

So it's with great sadness that I announce this morning that after so many weeks of struggling and fighting the inevitable, my wife and I have finally agreed to put the heating on!

Most of you won't know this, but my wife and I over the past few weeks have been through some of the hardest times of our lives and the most difficult of our relationship.

Some days have been harder than others. Many tears have flowed and many nights have been spent just trying to survive.

We've had to make some incredibly hard decisions just to make it through.

Sadly now, after a long period of soul searching we have decided with great pain that the time has come.

We can't continue any longer as things are. It's not a decision we have taken lightly but it's been born out of necessity. Something had to change.

So it's with great sadness that I announce this morning that after so many weeks of struggling and fighting the inevitable, my wife and I have finally agreed to put the heating on!
You really got me there!

I mean, I lived in a seaside village for 3 years and nearly 4 Christmas seasons but I'm guessing that's not quite what you mean.

So in terms of visiting over Christmas? Obviously everything will shut down, and walks on the front/beach can entertain me... would any one say try it. 4 nights at seaside over Christmas?

I'd do it again if I could. I loved it (even when it snowed and the harbour was half frozen) - it was quiet, you barely saw anyone else, and the only 24-hr anything were the cash points. No shops open, no pubs or bars or restaurants, just me and the Irish Sea, lol.

We went on a Christmas UK seaside holiday when I was younger - it was great, lots of relaxing and walks with the dog. Really beautiful and no pressure to actually do proper touristy things. Worth getting somewhere with a log burner if you can and you're planning to spend a decent chunk of time where you're staying. I'd definitely do it again!

Back