• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bobby is poorly

Did Bobby get an X-ray today? Is there anyway you could get a second opinion from Simon or Kim Maddock, they are so knowledgeable and Kim is so thorough with her examinations. A strong urine smell is usually an indication there’s something not right with the unitary tract

Sounds as if the pain meds are working.
We know how miserable we feel if we’re in constant pain, so it must be the same for Bobby.
If his pain is controlled he’ll feel better and want to eat.
Hoping this will bode well for his future.
Look after yourself as well

Did Bobby get an X-ray today? Is there anyway you could get a second opinion from Simon or Kim Maddock, they are so knowledgeable and Kim is so thorough with her examinations. A strong urine smell is usually an indication there’s something not right with the unitary tract
No he didn’t as she felt his gastric ulcers were the problem to deal with first but I didn’t feel confident in her opinion - she thought his quality of life was poor.( and I said I need to consider that) She agreed when I said I wanted to try to help him first. She also agreed to the infant paracetamol as I’d mentioned it as an alternative pain relief
I think he still has a urinary tract infection so he is on baytril for 4 days 2x daily ( 0.2ml) but there is enough to continue it for longer if ness
It hasn't helped that we’ve seen 3 vets and I’ve had to tell them of medications etc
I am keeping in mind it could be sterile cystitis and I’m giving him glucasamine every day ( cytease for cats)

I am pleased to hear Bobby is getting some relief with the paracetamol, it is something I will keep in mind to mention to our vets as Red did not react well with Gabapentin and he may need more than just Metacam soon. It's a shame you have had to see 3 vets and still can't feel confident in their opinions, which do seem a little odd.

So Bobby is feeling better - with being poorly I was able to pick him up (always had to use a cuddle cup before ) he is now running away ….so I take that as a good sign - he’s so good having his cc food/ medications 🤞

He’s nearly finished his antibiotics and his weight is stable so I’ve reduced his cc food
He was getting so fed up with picked up so often so I’m hoping he’ll be ok
He is coming out for his pellets and his veggies and I’m putting hay in his hidey and I can he’s see eating it when I change his pee pad
So 🤞 he’s ok - thank you for asking 🥰

Back to the Vets today but saw a great Vet who has experience with piggies
Bobby was wet underneath this am but still good weight and still eating
Vet was great and did an ultrasound and said Bobby has some stones,possible sludge and his bladder wall was very irregular
He also did a flush thru but was not happy that much didn’t come out.
He said antibiotics(2x daily) pain relief(2x daily) and try Metacam (1x daily) as he said he felt it would help him
He didn’t think there would be a problem with gastric issues on 1x daily
We’re going to see how Bobby responds… as the Vet said it maybe we are treating the secondary cause but he wanted Bobby to feel better before we try anything else or if we do
I feel better about it all as I felt we weren’t really getting anywhere
Bobby is now reminding me loudly it’s veggies time 🥰

Back to the Vets today but saw a great Vet who has experience with piggies
Bobby was wet underneath this am but still good weight and still eating
Vet was great and did an ultrasound and said Bobby has some stones,possible sludge and his bladder wall was very irregular
He also did a flush thru but was not happy that much didn’t come out.
He said antibiotics(2x daily) pain relief(2x daily) and try Metacam (1x daily) as he said he felt it would help him
He didn’t think there would be a problem with gastric issues on 1x daily
We’re going to see how Bobby responds… as the Vet said it maybe we are treating the secondary cause but he wanted Bobby to feel better before we try anything else or if we do
I feel better about it all as I felt we weren’t really getting anywhere
Bobby is now reminding me loudly it’s veggies time 🥰
Glad you have found what the problem may be. I hope Bobby responds to his meds and can pass those stones 🤞

You are not being obsessive, having a sick guinea pig is worrying and exhausting. It's worse when you can't find a reliable vet who can find the cause of the piggies problem. Most of us here have been through this and understand how you are feeling. It sounds like this vet has found the cause of Bobby's problems and can help him.

Thank you everyone - I know it might feel I’m over sharing/obsessive but it really helps me
My children love my piggies as do my friends and relatives but all of you know just what it means to have a poorly piggy ❤️
Only fellow piggy slaves understand. I tend to tell people it's more like having a small dog but I don't think they believe me.

Well I’m a very lucky piggy slave ….Bobby loves the emeraid !
I’d given him the science selective cc food before which he ate but wasn’t overly keen
….but with the emeraid he’s grabbing the syringe ❤️
He’s used to these syringes
He is dry today and lively 🤞

Bobby had a follow up with the Vet today
His weight is stable but he has blood in his pee still - she tested it there to make sure it was and not just discoloured
He is doing normal poops but is a bit wet underneath every day
He is great at having his meds and syringe food and a little bum bath but he’s not himself
He doesn’t come out of his hidey except for veggies ….this is just not Bobby, he’s a chatty bossy piggy who when he hears me would be there asking for treats and would wheek loudly if he heard me in the kitchen and he always reminded me if I was 5 mins late for veggies - he just sits quietly and it breaks my heart to see how he has deteriorated
Dear Geoff stays by his side and he still comes out for pellets and veggies 😂 but rushes back to be with Bobby
So Bobby is going to have surgery on Monday to clear the stones and any sludge/crystals to give him a chance.
I’m aware of the risks etc but his quality of life is poor and I’ve carefully thought about this.
I know about post op care and am ready and Geoff will be going along too
If you can send Bobby your love and healing vibes for monday ❤️
I’ll let you know how we get on

I had an 8 year old sow have a stone removed and she did so well despite her age.Keeping everything crossed for Bobby and will be thinking of you both on Monday x

I had an 8 year old sow have a stone removed and she did so well despite her age.Keeping everything crossed for Bobby and will be thinking of you both on Monday x
Ah thank you Gem789 - it was a difficult decision and only guinea pig slaves know how hard it was ❤️

Back