• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

6 year Old Pig with health issues

She sure is a beauty. In your shoes I would also be giving her some veggies (as long as her guts are not bloating) as she'll be on these antibiotics for a while and she'd be feeling very depressed without any treat. She can't know it's only for 2 weeks/4 weeks etc - she just knows things have changed! I would keep an eye on the squishy poops but perhaps just accept this is how it has to be for now.

The caecotrophs they produce under normal circumstances are soft, squishy (slightly stinky) slop that they just discretely eat when we aren't looking. In 10 years of piggies I never saw any till my George started to get impaction and is cleared out in the evening... the normal poops are bound together in a big lump with the squishy poops(!) and he will occasionally eat the lot (although he does look quite embarrassed doing it). I wonder whether your soft poops are just the naturally produced caecotrophs but she's not eating them because of the antibiotics - either she's not fancying them because of her appetite being affected or the caecotrophs are changed for now which makes them less nutritious? This might explain the pattern of bouts or normal poops then bouts of squishy because I'm pretty sure I read that caecotrophs tend to be produced more at certain times of the day (was it late pm/evening?) whether this varies from pig to pig and is related to their personal body clock I don't know. It can't be all the time - they're just pooping machines! So - and this is just a suggestion - maybe it's just what would be happening normally but the difference is she's not eating them, she's just leaving them around to frighten you!

The fact that she's excited and wheeking for food is brilliant and a good sign. Is she still in pain when she pees tho?
Amazing info. I didn't know this!

Thanks! Yeah it could be that. I am still watching closely. This morning I woke up to plenty of normal poops and gave her some veggies, so we'll see what this afternoon brings. She is not squeaking when she pees anymore but I do see her strain occasionally. Not as often as before. I will probably try to get in to the vet next week as a follow up and see when she can come off the antibiotics since while I of course want to make sure the infection is eliminated, I also don't want her digestive system to take any more of a beating than it has to.

I also attached some pictures of her strange tooth break I mentioned in an earlier message. It has not really changed much since last week when I brought her to the vet for it and to get the opposing bottom tooth clipped. Not sure what to make of it.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20220404-092015.webp
    VideoCapture_20220404-092015.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 13
  • VideoCapture_20220404-091956.webp
    VideoCapture_20220404-091956.webp
    19.6 KB · Views: 8
The broken top tooth looks a little longer than the previous pics. Usually they can even themselves up against the opposing incisor. That is a weird looking chunky tooth though! Perhaps it grows thick because of the previous break you mentioned from a while back.

Brilliant news if she can pee comfortably 💕

Yeah chunky is a good word for it. The only worrying thing is occasionally while she is eating (or sometimes drinking) I see her reel back a bit. Wondering if something with the tooth is occasionally causing her some pain. Though I am not sure what since right now there are not any overgrown.

I got a general recheck appointment for all of these issues with my vet 4/18. This was the earliest I could get since he is booked solid this week and off next week. I think my anxiety will be through the roof since I have not found a good backup in my area who I trust with guinea pigs. That said I will be researching this yet again just in case.

One last thing I noticed a little strange tonight is while I had her out for her medicine and syringe feedings, it sounded like there were some tummy sounds and then some noticeable gas-passing. I guess this is better than it being stored up in there since I don't want her to have bloat, but not sure what is causing this sudden gas (nothing in her diet has changed) that was more audible.

One last thing I noticed a little strange tonight is while I had her out for her medicine and syringe feedings, it sounded like there were some tummy sounds and then some noticeable gas-passing. I guess this is better than it being stored up in there since I don't want her to have bloat, but not sure what is causing this sudden gas (nothing in her diet has changed) that was more audible.
Id think given the amount of antibiotics she's on, some gas is going to be part of the territory.

I found that gentle belly massage (more like massage of the sides, while on your lap) is really helpful to break up and have it pass. My piggie Buttercup (who I showed you my butt-bath technique) had a bad case of bloat related to a bladder issue. Id have her on a low temp heating pad and gently massage for a good 20 min. I feel in that situation it saved her life.

Hi

I would recommend that you scale down on the veg and up the hay/syringe feed intake somewhat (add some probiotics to your feed) and also consider giving poo soup to help support the gut microbiome, which is impacted by the antibiotic.
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links (includes how to make 'poo soup', i.e. live healthy cavy microbiome transfer to ensure that the stilllive bacteria reach the gut - when made correctly, it can be more effective than than probiotics).

The soft poos and mild bloating can be indicative of dysbiosis (overgrowth of the wrong kind of bacteria); it can also be caused by intense pain or pressure on the gut - but as you have the pain angle under control, it is more likely the first.

All the best.

That makes sense. I have cut down her veggies (though not cut out completely yet) and upped her probiotics a bit and added another syringe feeding back in. I did some hand massaging and a massage pad as well. I do hear her passing the gas sometimes but am still noticing some slight distended-ness on her left side. She is still eating and drinking plenty on her own as well but worried about this developing into full-on bloat. Also wondering if since she has been drinking more water the last 1-2 weeks if that could also introduce gas bubbles.

It seems like her urinary problems, the original big issue, have mostly cleared up (though she is still on antibiotics until she sees the vet again 4/18) which is great. I am just fearful of these "knock on" effects getting worse.

That makes sense. I have cut down her veggies (though not cut out completely yet) and upped her probiotics a bit and added another syringe feeding back in. I did some hand massaging and a massage pad as well. I do hear her passing the gas sometimes but am still noticing some slight distended-ness on her left side. She is still eating and drinking plenty on her own as well but worried about this developing into full-on bloat. Also wondering if since she has been drinking more water the last 1-2 weeks if that could also introduce gas bubbles.

It seems like her urinary problems, the original big issue, have mostly cleared up (though she is still on antibiotics until she sees the vet again 4/18) which is great. I am just fearful of these "knock on" effects getting worse.

No, the increased drinking should not cause bloating; there may however be something else in play.
Drinking depends on many factors:
- natural individual urge to drink (can vary enormously from not drinking at all to empyting a bottle or more in a day)
- how much fresh food you feed (i.e. how much water comes in edible form and doesn't have to be drunk)
- how dry/humid, cold/warm the environment is; your piggy may react to sudden changes
- any sudden more massive changes should be mentioned to the vet but they can be connected to the medication and also sometimes just down to hovering much more over an ill piggy.
All About Drinking And Bottles

Severe out of the blue killing bloat is an entirely different beast, I can assure you.

The more hay/grass based fibre you can get into her, the better for the gut microbiome.
Unfortunately, you will have to hang on in there for until the antibiotics have worn off to be able to restabilise the gut; right now, you are still aiming at ticking over. ;)

Thanks, Wiebke, glad it is not the water. I have stepped up my critical care feedings a bit more and luckily she is still eating I would say a normal amount of hay on her own (especially compared to when her UTI was at its worst). When I just had her out I took some pictures-- I think with her floofiness it's a little hard to tell but I feel the gas more on her left (the black) side. Been doing hand massages as well as some time on a massage pad-- not sure it has really changed in the last 48 hrs or so.

I'm afraid that what might happen is I might be stuck trying to figure out if I should pull her off the antibiotics. The vet said at least 3 weeks, which would be today. Obviously I understand there is risk of the infection returning and being resistant if she is pulled off too early. But I am also afraid this gas thing will just keep progressing and my vet is out of town until that appointment I have on 4/18. I do have one or two "backup" vets in a pinch that I am not as fond of, not sure whether I should be rushing her to them now or waiting.

Attachments

• 20220408_001552.webp
    20220408_001552.webp
    84.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220408_001420.webp
    20220408_001420.webp
    138 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220408_001328.webp
    20220408_001328.webp
    89.7 KB · Views: 6
This is only my opinion as I'm not a medical person, but although antibiotics for long periods can be a bit wearing on piggy, any severe effects are usually seen pretty quickly in the first few days as they start to kick in and deplete the gut microbiome. I think that she's adjusted pretty well to what she's on. Someone recently explained that a piggy was on ABs for a few months to clear an abscess that had tracked right throughout the body! So hang in there if you can till the vet can see her again. Her primary issue - the pain and blood when peeing - would have been very painful for her and in your shoes I would dread that returning, even if it meant I had to monitor her digestion more closely. You're both doing great ☺️

Thought I would give another update on Margaret. She has been mostly holding steady the last few days. Weight has been ok-- she is sitting around 880-885 most of the time with occasional dips into the 870s. Still on her antibiotics.

As far as her stomach, I've felt around and done some massaging each time she is out and I am not sure. Most of the time it feels like that left side is a little firmer and bulgier than the right side. I sometimes hear gas, sometimes not. I have been messing around with her veggie portion, alongside the massages, to see if anything changes. She still seems to greatly favor lying on that side. Really not sure if it's gas or something else entirely. I don't think it's a cyst since I have not noticed the hair loss. Also don't think it's an injury or anything since when she has to she runs around the cage (like when excited for food).

Poops have been mixed. Mostly good except today I have seen bouts of quite small ones followed later by larger/mushier masses again. I have still been supplementing with a little critical care 3 times a day (when she gets her medicines) as well as probiotics 2-3 times. Also continuing the struggle of trying to keep her backside clean. Mostly hoping she stays stable through the week as her vet appointment is Monday (4/18) [and the vet is out of town until then].

In the last few days I've had my first experience with bloat (in 10 years!) and although the worst seems to be over I can appreciate your worry. There's a bit of residual gas in my girl I think so we're still being super careful. If I hold her on my lap facing left it's the side away from me that still feels like there's something gassy there - almost like a tiny balloon. I'm tempted to say 'her right side'...? Like she's going to pick up a pen and write with that paw?! If she was sat facing me it would be on my left though. After eyeballing some diagrams I think it's her caecum although not knowing piggy internal anatomy I can't be sure. It would make sense though as there are lots of microbes in there and if gas was being generated that would seem to be the place. Is that the same for your piggy?

Poor girl with a dirty back end. You're doing great trying to keep her clean. I had a little sow that had a UTI and open sores formed on her vulva because of the constant burn of dripping pee. The vet told me to use a barrier cream we can get over here for people called Sudocrem. It's sold for nappy rash in babies. You rinse piggy with water and then dab on a very thin layer - on the vulva and on the back heels (also urine-scalded). We used this less than a week while her antibiotics kicked in but it really helped - with the soreness and by allowing the skin to heal. However some forum members have warned that prolonged use can lead to thinning of the skin and thus more problems so that's something to watch out for.

How's that tooth getting on?

What you described is very similar to Margaret's case I think. Like a tiny balloon on her side. I guess that is where the gas is being generated. Surprised any microbes are in there with her on 2x antibiotics (though she is on BeneBac probiotic also). *sigh* I hope the gas goes away, I am not sure what else to do for it. Glad you were able to get through the worst of it with your piggie! I am hoping Margaret's goes away without going into full-on bloat but I am definitely anxious, especially since there is not much else I can do. I still have that vet appt on 4/18 which might take her off her meds but until then I am just still giving her critical care 3-4 times a day alongside the antibiotics and massages.

I definitely need to try something like that with her back/bottom side. The wet washcloths and baby wipes are not cutting it to keep it clean and help with her scald :(

Her tooth luckily seems to be growing back ok now! Not yet fully back though.

Another small update on Margaret. She seems to be holding steady though unsure if her gas is getting any worse.

Appetite still good and she still gets 3-4 small servings of CC a day. Weight holding mostly in the 880s. That said I do feel something in her side during her massages. I also notice occasionally she seems uncomfortable (though she is still on metacam so that may help).

My primary hypothesis is still gas but there is an outside chance for a cyst too. Still has her flank fur but I thought I noticed some slight loss on her belly. Though it could just be from her getting dirty down there and having some scald.

I got some new pics but not sure they show much. Sometimes the "bulge" ends up more exaggerated just based on how she is turning.

@Free Ranger I hope your pig is feeling better from its gas

Attachments

• 20220414_004113.webp
    20220414_004113.webp
    92.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220414_004151.webp
    20220414_004151.webp
    84.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220414_004420.webp
    20220414_004420.webp
    53.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220414_005318.webp
    20220414_005318.webp
    56 KB · Views: 8
My piggie Buttercup had cysts. It did look like that at times, depending on how big they were. She eventually developed hair loss on her sides. But before that, I suspected it because of her shape, and especially because of long and strong seasons. Relentless chasing and rumbling at her cage mate. We were lucky because they were the kind that responded to lupron. Spaying wasn't an option.

Does your vet use ultrasound? That's how B's cysts (and bladder sludge) were confirmed.

Yeah he uses ultrasound. I have an appointment for Monday but, even though she is generally eating and acting ok, I still see her look at a bit uncomfortable from time to time. And plus there is that roundness I mentioned. I am still nervous about getting through the holiday weekend during which everything will be closed up here :(. I am still divided on whether it's gas or a cyst

It's good news that she's holding steady. If my vet uses ultrasound they have to shave a patch on the abdomen first which doesn't hurt but they don't like it much! However it's a harmless non-invasive procedure and obviously useful to identify the source of her issues.

My girl seems to be over her bout although it'll be something I have to watch out for in future. We're re-introducing veggies a bit at a time and also grass which she's mad keen for. We were prescribed emeprid - a gut stimulant - and metacam. The vet was concerned that she wasn't eating hay on Monday and wanted to keep everything pushing through. She was being topped-up with 'Recovery' with added probiotics. We also spiked some with 'poop soup' from her cage mate George. She had to be persuaded with the first 1/2 ml but then was happy to take about 7 ml each time and as she'd started on her hay again by that evening so she was fine. It took until Thursday for her poops to look normal though. We tried massage which she seemed to enjoy although I'm not sure it affected things much - but she was happy to sprawl on a fleece with hot water bottle underneath. Luxury! I'll be a bit tense over the holidays in case she starts blowing up again but I'm giving her a good feel morning and evening to make sure she's still OK. These piggies!

Glad to hear your piggie is still doing better. Yeah Margaret keeps swinging back and forth between reassuring me (squeaking, looking happy, eating a lot, and ok poops) to scaring me (looking uncomfortable/weird or bulgy). Still 50/50 on gas or a cyst (with I guess a small probability it's nothing). Hoping she stays the same over the weekend. I will have to ask about emeprid if it ends up being a digestive thing. She has gained some more weight and is back to ~900g but part of me is only half celebrating that for fear that it's weight from a cyst or something.

Big update on Margaret after the last week and her vet appointment yesterday (4/18). Broken down into a few areas for clarity

UTI: The original issue that started all this, her UTI. As I mentioned in the last few weeks, this started to get better on her antibiotics, etc. She gained back some weight and has been still sitting in the 880s-900. Still low for her but not bad. No more pain or straining peeing, very few sludge-y pees, no blood, etc. So very glad about that. The vet did do an ultrasound and saw there was still some precipitate in there. He also noticed she is still soiling herself a bit with her pee (more on this later). He recommended we continue the antibiotics for 2 more weeks and then do a culture to see that it's all gone. It doesn't seem like the antibiotics are messing with her so this seems fine. He also said we can start to back off the metacam and see if she can go without it.

Tooth: Her broken tooth has continued to grow back. It is still not the same length as the other tooth but it seems to be enough to keep the bottom teeth balanced. It is a bit discolored which concerned both the vet and me. He said that could be a sign of infection, but when he examined it he didn't see anything on her gumline, etc. Basically a "wait and see" for now. It does not seem to impede her eating or bother her.

Lopsided/Gas?/Cyst?: As I mentioned earlier, one thing I noticed since she got better is her seeming slightly lopsided in her weight distribution. I went through phases of thinking it was gas, or a cyst, or something. I did massages in case it was gas, didn't seem to make a change. Later on I thought maybe it was a cyst since I noticed some hair loss on her belly (more on this later). The vet did an ultrasound (as mentioned) as well as 3 x-rays. I have linked a pic of the ultrasound-- still waiting on digital files of the x-rays. He did not see any particularly large or strange gas bubbles. He also did not detect a cyst. He felt around a lot, etc. and did not think there was one. He did notice (and you can see in the x-ray) the lopsided weight distribution but there was no clear explanation for it. Again kind of a "wait and see" at the moment. Open to other ideas from those on this forum once I post everything.

Hair Loss/cleaning: So as mentioned above, I noticed she was losing hair around her belly/bum. I think since there is no cyst (and the vet agrees) this is just from being dirty/urine scald, etc. I feel bad that she has lost some fur down there and is starting to get some rashes. I need to come up with a good cleaning routine for her. It's not that she is completely immobile or anything, she is actually pretty active, but I guess she is kind of lying in her pee a lot still. I clean out her cage completely twice a week and change pee pads at common spots multiple times a day but need to do more I guess. I am not sure how frequently she can get an actual bottom bath or scrub. Also not sure if there is a root cause here or if it's just kind of old lady problems.

General Behavior: Her behavior has been pretty good. Very good appetite (still getting a tiny bit of Critical Care alongside her medicine) for hay, pellets, etc. Squeaks and runs around for food, plays in her hay, etc. So I am happy about that. I do notice some occasional times when she is lying/sitting and looks a bit uncomfortable sleeping but usually perks up if I come over. The only other thing I notice and it might have to do with her getting dirty, is she does do more grooming than I remember, messing around on her back fur or nether regions.

Attachments

• 20220418_102933.webp
    20220418_102933.webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 5
For some added context on my last post, got some pictures of her hair loss. Like I mentioned, the vet was not too worried about it coming from some other cause-- seemed to think it was just from bad urine scald/immobility from all that time with her infection and that just better cleanliness might help it. But idk. It definitely does not look good in the picture :(. I went through the extensive page on GuineaLynx on Hair Loss and did not see any other causes that might resonate. Don't think it's mites or anything like fungus from the look of it. Doubt it's scurvy since she has been getting 1.5 tablets of vitamin C (Oxbow) this whole time she has been sick. So maybe just old age and too dirty? I am trying to establish some habits to help ameliorate this but any ideas would be great.

It's hard for me to not be anxious about her. She is eating great and gaining back weight, not squeaking in pain, etc. but every once in awhile she just seems dazed or uncomfortable, sitting in a slightly weird spot, or messing with her fur/grooming. But then just as often if not moreso she is happy and eating or wheeking.

Attachments

• crop1_VideoCapture_20220419-173335.webp
    crop1_VideoCapture_20220419-173335.webp
    43.8 KB · Views: 15
  • crop2_VideoCapture_20220419-173259.webp
    crop2_VideoCapture_20220419-173259.webp
    49.9 KB · Views: 15
I'm wondering if, because of her bladder issues, she is often dribbling and as a result often ends up laying in urine. One of my pigs had lifelong bladder issues and developed some hair loss in her older age, though not quite as high up as that. We did really frequent baths of her belly and back end and my vet recommended a barrier cream (like for babies with diaper rash) or Vaseline to protect the skin. The good news is that although there is hair loss, the skin itself doesn't look to be breaking down at all, you've obviously been doing a really hard job of taking care of her and keeping her clean! Hang in there, she is a lucky pig to have you!

Thanks, Freela. Yeah there is definitely still some dribbling going on. How often do you do baths with your pig that you mentioned? I will have to see what some good barrier cream options are (though doesn't it just get dragged around since it's on their underside?). I just need to figure out a good way to do it and products for her and it should be easy enough to fit into my routine of everything else I'm doing for her.

Thank you for the vote of confidence! I do feel like I have tried to dedicate myself 100% to this for the last 2 months.

Thanks, Freela. Yeah there is definitely still some dribbling going on. How often do you do baths with your pig that you mentioned? I will have to see what some good barrier cream options are (though doesn't it just get dragged around since it's on their underside?). I just need to figure out a good way to do it and products for her and it should be easy enough to fit into my routine of everything else I'm doing for her.

Thank you for the vote of confidence! I do feel like I have tried to dedicate myself 100% to this for the last 2 months.
It's been a few years since we had that piggy, as I recall we did a warm water bath every other day or so, sometimes with mild shampoo but often just with water to clean the skin off. I used to apply the barrier cream morning and night. Obviously it can't keep her completely dry, but any reduction in dampness is bound to help.

For some added context on my last post, got some pictures of her hair loss. Like I mentioned, the vet was not too worried about it coming from some other cause-- seemed to think it was just from bad urine scald/immobility from all that time with her infection and that just better cleanliness might help it. But idk. It definitely does not look good in the picture :(. I went through the extensive page on GuineaLynx on Hair Loss and did not see any other causes that might resonate. Don't think it's mites or anything like fungus from the look of it. Doubt it's scurvy since she has been getting 1.5 tablets of vitamin C (Oxbow) this whole time she has been sick. So maybe just old age and too dirty? I am trying to establish some habits to help ameliorate this but any ideas would be great.

It's hard for me to not be anxious about her. She is eating great and gaining back weight, not squeaking in pain, etc. but every once in awhile she just seems dazed or uncomfortable, sitting in a slightly weird spot, or messing with her fur/grooming. But then just as often if not moreso she is happy and eating or wheeking.

It looks rather like urine scald/mechanical abrasion from being stationary in one area and lying the pee; most likely in combination with possible arthritis etc.

PLEASE read our practical support advice in our mobility care guide, which contains information on urine scald and foot pad care and also applies to guinea pigs with excessive urination, including skin and practical bedding/cage cleaning advice: Looking after guinea pigs with limited or no mobility

Here is our practical care advice collection for older guinea pigs: Caring for Older Piggies and Facing the End - A practical and supportive information collection

Thanks @Wiebke ! That was a great read. Looking at Nerys' story I am wondering if Margaret is having a similar buildup start and hence the lopsidedness I mentioned that I thought was a cyst or something. The vet did not detect anything like a cyst or gas on the x-ray but maybe this provides a possible solution. She is still fairly mobile but I think this and the fur loss could be an early sign of something like uneven mobility. I do notice that her left side (the one with the possible buildup) foot has lost a lot more fur than the right.

I know you said Nerys recovered with some assisted feeding, etc. Was there anything in particular that treated her condition directly? Or did she just get her care around her symptoms and eventually recover? As I mentioned, Margaret is still eating and acting fairly normally (though I am still topping her off with CC). I will keep giving her the metacam and start on some glucosamine just in case.

Thanks @Wiebke ! That was a great read. Looking at Nerys' story I am wondering if Margaret is having a similar buildup start and hence the lopsidedness I mentioned that I thought was a cyst or something. The vet did not detect anything like a cyst or gas on the x-ray but maybe this provides a possible solution. She is still fairly mobile but I think this and the fur loss could be an early sign of something like uneven mobility. I do notice that her left side (the one with the possible buildup) foot has lost a lot more fur than the right.

I know you said Nerys recovered with some assisted feeding, etc. Was there anything in particular that treated her condition directly? Or did she just get her care around her symptoms and eventually recover? As I mentioned, Margaret is still eating and acting fairly normally (though I am still topping her off with CC). I will keep giving her the metacam and start on some glucosamine just in case.

Hi

No, she didn't get anything as her swelling/build up of fluid started in the adrenal gland area, which in those days was totally unresearched - you can't medicate when you haven't got the faintest idea what normal adrenaline levels in guinea pigs are... :(
I continued with the metacam for her arthritis and she may have got some frusol (diuretic) but after all that time and about 70 piggies and a menopause later, I can't fully remember. Basically it sorted itself out about 3-4 weeks later when the fluid suddenly drained away as mysteriously as it had come on.

IF it is fluid build up, then it can be caused by quite a few things starting with a failing heart (which in Nerys' case was strong and could be exluded) or an internal growth just as well.
It is one of these things I have never come across again, whether in my own piggies nor on the forum. The back leg mobility never fully recovered but as Nerys was by then not far off her 8th birthday and very arthtritic arthritic in her back legs, that was not exactly unexpected. She lived for another 5 months although she developed a rat-tail of secondary conditions due to her frailness and her weakening immune system, which eventually gave way completely - not an uncommon occurrance in the very elderly in my own experience.

All I can add is a vote for oxbow joint support lozenges ('cookies' as some folks call them) which contain glucosamine and have worked wonders for 5 year old George's arthritis. He was nibbling at his sore joints which resulted in hair stuck in his teeth and hair loss round his knees... but not so much as your little girl. He has one a day and is much more mobile on them. One of my other pigs is prone to bouts of gritty pee and I give her half a one a day. This is because they contain 90 (somethings) of glucosamine per tablet and the related urinary support type contain 45 so I just got the one bag as glucosamine was my goal. It took a couple of weeks to see a difference and I would say nearly a month before I stopped seeing the hair in his teeth but he's doing great. He's also on twice a day metacam for ever and I have absolutely no worries about that at all - he likes it and looks forward to his syringe and lozenge in the mornings! I had got used to the idea of him being old and lying about a lot but it was just arthritis that was limiting him - he's back to rumbling at the ladies again now.

There are other ways of introducing glucosamine but these lozenges work for us and my vet checked out the ingredients and said they were fine. You are doing great for her - such dedication is a rare thing and lovely to see x

Thanks. Yeah I got a pack of those joint support tablets to try. Working on getting her to like them. She goes crazy for the vitamin C ones but so far lacking interest in the joint ones. She will sniff at them or maybe put her mouth on it but not eat it yet.
I have some diaper rash cream coming today but am a bit nervous to use it, even in thin/tiny quantities, for fear of her licking down there which I see her do.

Maybe just apply a little to a small area first - like directly on her lady bits after a warm water sloosh and a gentle dab dry. Then if she's trying to groom or barber the larger bald area she might avoid it but if she does lick up a bit it will only be a bit. If peeing doesn't sting her she might not lick so much..?

Back