• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ulcers on genitals?

Jynx has been getting along fine. She's just had the last of the Quiflor (Marbofloxacin), but I don't think there's been much improvement! She's still leaking wee (although not as much) and developed a bit of urine scald. On top of that, she STILL has necrotic tissue on her genitals. It's only a tiny bit but it's quite recessed near her anus, so she's a little uncomfortable pooping.

I honestly don't know what to do now. I feel if I can stop her leaking wee, it'll solve itself. Has anyone tried Potassium Citrate? I've heard it's good for lining the bladder. I don't know whether it'll help Jynx though.

PXL_20240822_175506357.webp

Good luck Jynx. I really hope you are soon feeling more comfortable and are soon on the mend ❤️‍🩹

So, the ulcers are still forming! It must be because she's constantly leaking wee. I'm honestly at a loss. Has anyone dealt with an incontinent guinea pig before?!

View attachment 255313

View attachment 255314

HUGS

I am very sorry but you are in a league of your own in terms of cases and experiences on here. That should tell you just how rare your problem is. Leaky piggies usually get urine scald and, if it gets bad, bumblefoot; but persistent ulcers are quite simply not something we have ever come across. :(

I wish we had another case for your sake.

Without jinxing myself (no pun intended 😅), there have been no new lesions this morning and the necrotic skin has been disappearing. Jynx is squeaking a bit when pooping, and it's hard to say whether we might be at the end, but I'm feeling a bit more hopeful than the other day. I'm just keeping up with the Metacam and antiseptic wipes twice a day. Fingers crossed!

Without jinxing myself (no pun intended 😅), there have been no new lesions this morning and the necrotic skin has been disappearing. Jynx is squeaking a bit when pooping, and it's hard to say whether we might be at the end, but I'm feeling a bit more hopeful than the other day. I'm just keeping up with the Metacam and antiseptic wipes twice a day. Fingers crossed!

I am sitting on my crossed thumbs!

I've just read all this thread, I really feel for you and Jynx. Sorry to hear your going through all this, such a shame seems never ending! I have no real good advice but have you tried Leucillin spray on her ulcers? It's a brilliant non irritant antiseptic! It's worked wonders for some of my rescue piggies with wounds. Get better soon Jynx xx

Oh this much be such a relief for you and Jynx. Never seen or heard of anything similar before poor Jynx’s problem. Just hoping that you are finally on the home straight.

Update: Back to the vet today!

Jynx developed a new small lesion right at the end of the antibiotics course. It's nowhere near as bad as it was, but it's been going on for three months(!) now. I've started applying some Dermisol cream and may try Flamazine if that doesn't work.

The vet has taken photos and is going to speak to colleagues to see what she might be missing. It's been suggested that it could be an STD like Herpes, so Jynx might need to have a biopsy taken. The vet is reluctant to put her on more antibiotics without more research in case we're missing something.

So I'm not much closer to an answer, but we're getting there...

Hopefully you are nearing the end of this struggle. Good job for giving her good care and fighting this for so long 👍

Update: Back to the vet today!

Jynx developed a new small lesion right at the end of the antibiotics course. It's nowhere near as bad as it was, but it's been going on for three months(!) now. I've started applying some Dermisol cream and may try Flamazine if that doesn't work.

The vet has taken photos and is going to speak to colleagues to see what she might be missing. It's been suggested that it could be an STD like Herpes, so Jynx might need to have a biopsy taken. The vet is reluctant to put her on more antibiotics without more research in case we're missing something.

So I'm not much closer to an answer, but we're getting there...

I am so very sorry. I think this is sadly very much way out of anybody's league. I sincerely hope that you and your vet can finally get to the bottom of it.

Back