• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Time to say goodbye?

I don’t know much about the wees and blood situation, I think others on here will know more. But it does sound a complicated situation for her and that she’s been up against a few things, poor thing (and pure you). It’s so heartbreaking when you don’t want to say goodbye but you don’t want them to suffer and they can’t tell you what they need. 🥲

I don’t know much about the wees and blood situation, I think others on here will know more. But it does sound a complicated situation for her and that she’s been up against a few things, poor thing (and pure you). It’s so heartbreaking when you don’t want to say goodbye but you don’t want them to suffer and they can’t tell you what they need. 🥲
It's awful. I was crying earlier thinking how can I act fine in front of her when I'm having her killed. Just really really sucks.

I am so sorry for you, sending hugs. You are giving her the last care and love you can, it’s never easy, you are thinking of her best interest :hug:

You are acting out of pure love, and she will know how much you care about her, it’s shown in everything you’ve ever done for her. All you’ve ever wanted is the best for her. I’m so sorry you’re going through this.

I’m so sorry that you are in this position. You are acting in her very best interests out of love. That can never be wrong. I shall be thinking of you both today.

It's awful. I was crying earlier thinking how can I act fine in front of her when I'm having her killed. Just really really sucks.
You are not killing her! My dear you are helping her so she doesn't go through a roller coaster of being well, being in pain and back again. That is hard on her and you! It is not easy decision but you can be saving her from a painful emergency where the result is the same. Please be kind to yourself, i know i had to do the same and was not expecting it at all, but i also knew i could not let my piggie go through more procedures, more ups and downs.
See if you can sit with her while she is sedated and sleeping for a bit let her know she is loved hold her and she will have memory of your love with her before the next step. Do not let them rush you do what you and her need.
My biggest warmest hugs dear please please know you were a great mom, and she knows that. Sending you hugs, strength and so much love.

Oh no, I am soooo sorry. Bless you! What ever you decide it will be in Pumpkins best interest so please don't feel guilty. You have literally done all you can since January. I know its never easy when it comes to poorly pets and I'm the worst when it comes to making any decisions so appreciate how hard this must be for you. If it's time to let her go, there is not one better qualified in terms of love than her mum and you'll have Nancy to help you through it. Sending you lots of love and hugs x

So sorry.
Holding you in my heart.
Deciding that pts is the best option is heart breaking even when you know it’s right.
It’s the last gift of love we give our beloved piggies.
Look after yourself too, hope your op goes well.
Holding you in my heart ♥️

Thanks all. Pumpkin was put to sleep around midday today. My vet was in and this brought me comfort in my decision. Pumpkin's conditions were not adding up to a good future. There was multiple things wrong.

So sorry that you had to give Pumpkin that last gift of love.
Even when we know it’s the right decision it doesn’t hurt any less.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve

So sorry that you had to give Pumpkin that last gift of love.
Even when we know it’s the right decision it doesn’t hurt any less.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve
Thank you. I know it was right. She did stop weeing blood which is why I felt it could wait, though tiny amount started this morning.

When I woke up this morning i heard her squeak when weeing, and I just knew it was time. While she sat and ate happily this morning, I knew delaying would mean she would die later. Maybe she would have survived weeks but she would have been in pain, ultimately I made the decision to perhaps be a day early than a day late. But I know it was right thing to do. I am not doubting this.

Thank you. I'm worried about Nancy, she has quite bad IC. She's not been doing great recently either but Pumpkin has been being hormonal, which Nancy finds stressful. I don't want more pigs but hopefully i will find Nancy a piggie friend, I can't have her alone long term. Vet has agreed I can temporarily up Nancy's metacam to a high dose and that she may improve with a new pal.

Thank you. I'm worried about Nancy, she has quite bad IC. She's not been doing great recently either but Pumpkin has been being hormonal, which Nancy finds stressful. I don't want more pigs but hopefully i will find Nancy a piggie friend, I can't have her alone long term. Vet has agreed I can temporarily up Nancy's metacam to a high dose and that she may improve with a new pal.
I hope upping the metacam helps Nancy 🤞🏻

Thanks all. Pumpkin was put to sleep around midday today. My vet was in and this brought me comfort in my decision. Pumpkin's conditions were not adding up to a good future. There was multiple things wrong.

BIG HUGS

I am very sorry but you have made the kindest and most loving decision. We all want to give our piggies the best and happiest of lives but sometimes that is just not possible and all we can do is spare a beloved one a further life that will never be free of major pain or a slow decline from which there won't be a return. :(

If it helps you, I had to make a similar decision for my Iola when several issues added up to a very unhappy total and my vet couldn't guarantee me more than 1-8 weeks on very expensive but essentially not very effective medication. Since Iola was already increasingly losing use of her back legs and kept falling over, I decided to call it shots for her there and then. I am glad I did - it was right at the start of the long 2018 heat wave; not something to face when one of her other problems was kidney failure. The heat was already putting extra pressure on her failing body. :(

It's never a gift we want to make but it can be the only one left, and at the same time the most loving gift we can give a pet of ours.

You know in your heart when the time has come. It has been a very brave fight you have fought on behalf of Pumpkin and you have bought her quite a lot of extra time with your dedicated care. Pumpkin knew that she was loved, treasured and in the best possible home.

Be kind with yourself and give yourself time to stop and rest. The pain of the loss is greater when you have created such a close bond through your care but be also very proud of yourself. You have not failed Pumpkin in any way and at any stage.

BIG HUGS

I am very sorry but you have made the kindest and most loving decision. We all want to give our piggies the best and happiest of lives but sometimes that is just not possible and all we can do is spare a beloved one a further life that will never be free of major pain or a slow decline from there won't be a return.

I made similar decision for my Iola when several issues added up to a very unhappy total and my vet couldn't guarantee me more than 1-8 weeks on very expensive but essentially not very effective medication. Since was already increasingly losing use of her back legs and kept falling over, I decided to call it shots for her there and then. I am glad I did - it was right at the start of the long 2018 heat wave; not something to face when one of her other problems was kidney failure. The heat was already putting extra pressure on her failing body. :(

It's never a gift we want to make but it can be the only one and at the same time the most loving gift we can give.

You know in your heart when the time has come. It has been a very brave fight you have fought on behalf of Pumpkin and you have bought her quite a lot of extra time with your dedicated care. Pumpkin knew that she was loved, treasured and in the best possible home.

Be kind with yourself and give yourself time to stop and rest. The pain of the loss is greater when you have created such a close bond through your care but be also very proud of yourself. You have not failed Pumpkin in any way and at any stage.
Thank you for your kind words. It is a hard decision. Like you, I was certain it was right. I will absolutely miss her. Pumpkin was a loud mouth. She could shout so loud for veggies it almost hurt your ears!

Nancy has just squeaked for a snack which I'm relieved to see. Though she won't realise yet that Pumpkin isn't coming back. Pumpkin has gone to the vets without her multiple times this year because I couldn't bring Nancy due to her IC. But I'm glad Nancy is pottering around.

I knew the time was coming so I had one of those heart shaped hay hides packed away for when Nancy would end up being alone. Got it out this morning and pumpkin got to use it before she went and now it's a good distraction for Nancy.

So sorry you’re going through this. you’ve been such a loving owner from the beginning to the very end. How lucky your pigs have been to find someone so devoted to their needs and care and to minimise their suffering.

Pumpkin sounded like a real character who will leave a big gap, take care of yourself as you grieve.

I hope Nancy does ok.

So sorry you’re going through this. you’ve been such a loving owner from the beginning to the very end. How lucky your pigs have been to find someone so devoted to their needs and care and to minimise their suffering.

Pumpkin sounded like a real character who will leave a big gap, take care of yourself as you grieve.

I hope Nancy does ok.
Thank you. She certainly had opinions on things. She would shout at me if I put on music she didn't like 🤣. Turn off that rubbish she would say

Changed to fleece yesterday because something was wrong with some bedding I bought and it was causing itching. I forgot to change it this morning... I find it feels damp quickly. It will be fine for tonight but I could kick myself. Scent of pumpkin is important for Nancy 🤦

Changed to fleece yesterday because something was wrong with some bedding I bought and it was causing itching. I forgot to change it this morning... I find it feels damp quickly. It will be fine for tonight but I could kick myself. Scent of pumpkin is important for Nancy 🤦

Nancy can survive a little dampness and muck just fine. ;)

She knows that Pumpkin hasn't been well for a long time and simply assumes that she has moved away from the group to die - in a cage situation that is either facing a corner or holing up in a cosy or hut. It is a natural instinct of piggies (minimising infection transmission and predatory attentition for the group.

Loss of appetite usually happens with a sudden, unexpected death (like a heart attack or a fatal stroke) or if the remaining piggy was very closely bonded and emotionally dependent on their mate. It is however thankfully rare. If you have concerns, please shortly up the glucosamine for 2-3 days.

Nancy can survive a little dampness and muck just fine. ;)

She knows that Pumpkin hasn't been well for a long time and simply assumes that she has moved away from the group to die - in a cage situation that is either facing a corner or holing up in a cosy or hut. It is a natural instinct of piggies (minimising infection transmission and predatory attentition for the group.

Loss of appetite usually happens with a sudden, unexpected death (like a heart attack or a fatal stroke) or if the remaining piggy was very closely bonded and emotionally dependent on their mate. It is however thankfully rare. If you have concerns, please shortly up the glucosamine for 2-3 days.
Pumpkin didn't present as being about to die. Obviously she will have known something was up but not like an immediate death thing. Nancy absolutely needs company but Pumpkin was annoying her with her hormones.

I got nancy out for her usual meds tonight, she normally loves to sit out with me, but tonight, she just wanted to go back straight away.

Pumpkin didn't present as being about to die. Obviously she will have known something was up but not like an immediate death thing. Nancy absolutely needs company but Pumpkin was annoying her with her hormones.

I got nancy out for her usual meds tonight, she normally loves to sit out with me, but tonight, she just wanted to go back straight away.

Being withdrawn is normal for the acute grieving stage with your pet piggies. It is our instinct to cuddle them and shower them with our attention when they just want to be left alone and it can be hard for us to accept that. She will come out of it in a few days - with their survival instinct much more immediate, piggies will not grieve any less deeply than us humans; but they have a much more urgent need to get with life.

I haven’t had a piggy with stones. I’m probably talking rubbish but is it possible, that one of her stones hasn’t come away completely & it’s stuck causing your piggy to bleed.
Whatever it is wrong just go with your gut. I hope things will go well, you have done everything you can. Keeping my fingers crossed for pumpkin & you. x.

I

I am so sorry about Pumpkin my dear, you gave her so much love and lasting gift of love while she made her last little journey. Nancy is grieving and will, mine did for a while and its hard to see them withdraw etc. i hope you are taking care of yourself and surgery went well i am sending lots of love.

I am sooo sorry to hear you had to say goodbye to Pumpkin - my heart aches for you and Nancy but you absolutely did the right thing by your beautiful girl.

Pumpkin sounded like such a trooper but the poor baby had so much going on this year it would have been hard on her to carry on. Although grief is soul destroying at least you can find some comfort that Pumpkin is finally free from her health issues and can popcorn freely in a field of her favourite treats.

Losing a pet is unbearable and something that I know for sure consumes me and so many others. If you ever need anyone to speak to I am always loitering around in the background.

Keep us updated on if you go ahead with getting Nancy a new brother or sister xx

I am sooo sorry to hear you had to say goodbye to Pumpkin - my heart aches for you and Nancy but you absolutely did the right thing by your beautiful girl.

Pumpkin sounded like such a trooper but the poor baby had so much going on this year it would have been hard on her to carry on. Although grief is soul destroying at least you can find some comfort that Pumpkin is finally free from her health issues and can popcorn freely in a field of her favourite treats.

Losing a pet is unbearable and something that I know for sure consumes me and so many others. If you ever need anyone to speak to I am always loitering around in the background.

Keep us updated on if you go ahead with getting Nancy a new brother or sister xx
Thank you.

It was particularly hard when Nancy was upset. But she suddenly decided things are fine now, which makes me feel a lot less sad. She is wanting a lot of extra attention. I'm normally out for about 12 hours on a Thursday. Managed to come home couple of hours earlier because I didn't want Nancy to be alone all day. I do want a friend for Nancy, I'm waiting to hear about one. But I'm relieved she is doing okay now.

I have been less sad today. I have grieved for Pumpkin multiple times this year. We've had some very close calls. I have a blanket from ASDA that looks a bit like Nancy and Pumpkin together. At the vets I had Pumpkin wrapped in it while I was saying goodbye. So been sleeping hugging it. Sounds weird but brings me comfort. Miss Pumpkin hugs. Nancy doesn't do hugs, so got to respect that.

I know I did the right thing for Pumpkin, sometimes feel a slight amount of guilt that I 'gave up on her' when I haven't given up on Nancy's issues. But it is a different situation. Pumpkin kept needing operations and her bladder was not likely fixable.

Thank you.

It was particularly hard when Nancy was upset. But she suddenly decided things are fine now, which makes me feel a lot less sad. She is wanting a lot of extra attention. I'm normally out for about 12 hours on a Thursday. Managed to come home couple of hours earlier because I didn't want Nancy to be alone all day. I do want a friend for Nancy, I'm waiting to hear about one. But I'm relieved she is doing okay now.

I have been less sad today. I have grieved for Pumpkin multiple times this year. We've had some very close calls. I have a blanket from ASDA that looks a bit like Nancy and Pumpkin together. At the vets I had Pumpkin wrapped in it while I was saying goodbye. So been sleeping hugging it. Sounds weird but brings me comfort. Miss Pumpkin hugs. Nancy doesn't do hugs, so got to respect that.

I know I did the right thing for Pumpkin, sometimes feel a slight amount of guilt that I 'gave up on her' when I haven't given up on Nancy's issues. But it is a different situation. Pumpkin kept needing operations and her bladder was not likely fixable.
I'm so glad Nancy is doing good all things considered and I'm sure it was nice for both of you to get home a bit earlier today. I'm sure when you're both ready Nancy will be there with her best frock on trying to impress the next piggie that walks through the door.

The blanket thing is not weird at all. My rabbit had a soft toy rabbit which she would wash and play with and it would always go to the vets with her. I slept with that toy bunny for months after I lost her, the only reason I stopped was because I wanted to preserve her smell and not have it smell like me otherwise I would still be sleeping with it now. Times like these you need your comfort objects and if yours is the blanket Pumpkin was with at the vets that's not weird at all.

It's nice to hear your sadness hasn't been too heavy today, as bad as it may sound, as hard as it is to lose her, there must be a small amount of relief for both you and her so you should make the most of the lighter moments and or days.

I hope Nancy continues to do okay and the days get easier on you both xx

I'm so glad Nancy is doing good all things considered and I'm sure it was nice for both of you to get home a bit earlier today. I'm sure when you're both ready Nancy will be there with her best frock on trying to impress the next piggie that walks through the door.

The blanket thing is not weird at all. My rabbit had a soft toy rabbit which she would wash and play with and it would always go to the vets with her. I slept with that toy bunny for months after I lost her, the only reason I stopped was because I wanted to preserve her smell and not have it smell like me otherwise I would still be sleeping with it now. Times like these you need your comfort objects and if yours is the blanket Pumpkin was with at the vets that's not weird at all.

It's nice to hear your sadness hasn't been too heavy today, as bad as it may sound, as hard as it is to lose her, there must be a small amount of relief for both you and her so you should make the most of the lighter moments and or days.

I hope Nancy continues to do okay and the days get easier on you both xx
Beautiful words 💖

Back