• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Time to say goodbye?

Update- pumpkin is doing really well. I am really happy. Still giving antibiotics, reduced metacam to once a day. I really hope she's weed it out!

Nancy had an x-ray today and no stones for her thankfully. Her IC has just progressed unfortunately. But she has had another cerenia injection & she will be prescribed an oral form.
Oh my god, when I saw this thread pop back up my heart sank, but quickly got excited again. That it amazing news for both piggies 🙌🙌🙌🙌. I'm so happy for you and the girls, such a relief Nancy doesn't have a stone and Pumpkin is doing much better and is on a reduced dose of metacam! You have some trooper pigs right there - you yourself are too a trooper, fingers crossed it's onwards and upwards from here x

Oh my god, when I saw this thread pop back up my heart sank, but quickly got excited again. That it amazing news for both piggies 🙌🙌🙌🙌. I'm so happy for you and the girls, such a relief Nancy doesn't have a stone and Pumpkin is doing much better and is on a reduced dose of metacam! You have some trooper pigs right there - you yourself are too a trooper, fingers crossed it's onwards and upwards from here x
Thank you 😊😊😊. Hopefully the meds will help Nancy.

How are your pigs?

Thank you 😊😊😊. Hopefully the meds will help Nancy.

How are your pigs?
Fingers crossed for Nancy 🤞.

My girlie's are all good thank you (touch wood). Grizzy who had the bladder surgery has been off pain relief for nearly 2 weeks now. She's eating well, drinking well. No squeaky wee wees, she's back to her cheeky self, she just emerges from a pile of hay every time you rattle a bag or come in from the garden because she thinks she's entitled to grass every time someone takes something to the recycling 😅. I cut her nails at the weekend for the first time post surgery, I've been terrified to hold her the way I need to but her wound is totally healed over externally and her fur is growing back so that was a win for me. Her sister is also doing well, no dramas at the moment, hoping it stays that way🤞 well apart from the bedding hay we use being out of stock until the autumn 🙄🙄🙄, but thats trivial in the grand scheme of things. Thank you for asking

Fingers crossed for Nancy 🤞.

My girlie's are all good thank you (touch wood). Grizzy who had the bladder surgery has been off pain relief for nearly 2 weeks now. She's eating well, drinking well. No squeaky wee wees, she's back to her cheeky self, she just emerges from a pile of hay every time you rattle a bag or come in from the garden because she thinks she's entitled to grass every time someone takes something to the recycling 😅. I cut her nails at the weekend for the first time post surgery, I've been terrified to hold her the way I need to but her wound is totally healed over externally and her fur is growing back so that was a win for me. Her sister is also doing well, no dramas at the moment, hoping it stays that way🤞 well apart from the bedding hay we use being out of stock until the autumn 🙄🙄🙄, but thats trivial in the grand scheme of things. Thank you for asking
That is brilliant news 😊. I love how they just appear from their little hay nests.

Pumpkin's bleeding again 😭. My vet is also off this week. And Pumpkin also needs her ovaries out. She's also hormonal. 😭. Have to see how she goes this week. But trust my vet to put her to sleep the most. If it's coming to that.

Guinea guru on here always says to assess the guinea life quality before making any decisions it can be so difficult to decide if our emotions cloud what is best for them but we can tell any decision you make will be with love and what is the best for them. Sorry you are in this awful situation though 💐

Guinea guru on here always says to assess the guinea life quality before making any decisions it can be so difficult to decide if our emotions cloud what is best for them but we can tell any decision you make will be with love and what is the best for them. Sorry you are in this awful situation though 💐
Thank you. I'm hoping it was sludge and nothing more. But makes deciding if I need her ovaries out difficult because I wouldn't operate and remove ovaries if she has a stone. I would have her put to sleep.

Nancy is suffering, she gets stressed by Pumpkin being hormonal which effects her IC so I can't leave it.

These decisions are really hard. I've had pets put to sleep before but always been when I knew it wasn't fixable.

I guess it's possible I got it wrong and it was Nancy bleeding but Nancy hasn't bled for a very long time with the medication she's on. They swap places so maybe could have. I guess I will find out. I am exhausted with them both.

I can imagine when you're in that unclear zone it is agonising. When is your vet back? 🤔

Pumpkin's bleeding again 😭. My vet is also off this week. And Pumpkin also needs her ovaries out. She's also hormonal. 😭. Have to see how she goes this week. But trust my vet to put her to sleep the most. If it's coming to that.
So sorry that you’re in such a difficult situation.
Whatever decision you make will be the right one because it will be made out of love.
Holding you in my heart ♥️

So sorry that you’re in such a difficult situation.
Whatever decision you make will be the right one because it will be made out of love.
Holding you in my heart ♥️
Thank you. I've not seen anymore, though not moved the houses. So maybe I've over panicked! Would be nice if I've just over panicked.

I know no blood amount is good but is it spots or more significant? I know it's difficult to explain 🤔

I know no blood amount is good but is it spots or more significant? I know it's difficult to explain 🤔
It's not loads. It's blobs of it. Looks like it looked before it got worse the last couple of times. Two of them looks like bloody sludge. So maybe she's passing sludge. I have metacam so I gave her some of that earlier and she picked up with that. So she seems happy on the metacam. But I have in my mind what has happened before ..

I believe next week.

Could you enquire at the clinic and book an appointment for as soon as possible as your vet is back?

Being stuck is the worst because it is stressful and paralysing. It may not be less painful but it is in some ways easier knowing where you stand because then you have some ground under your feet.

Could you enquire at the clinic and book an appointment for as soon as possible as your vet is back?

Being stuck is the worst because it is stressful and paralysing. It may not be less painful but it is in some ways easier knowing where you stand because then you have some ground under your feet.
Thank you. I could ring and ask. When I've asked before when my vet has been off they've said no. But I have always managed to get an appointment quickly when my vet is in and I've needed one. They are good at fitting in emergencies. But yes it is less stressful when you have a plan.

Is it common with bladder stones to also get a bit of smell? Wondering if it's causing an infection or if it's the smell of blood mixed with urine. I'm trying to decide what to do. I'm wondering about whether I take her to a different vet and ask them to repeat what she had done a month ago because doses should be on her records. It feels mean though because those injections were painful. I wish my vet was in because I really could with a end of life ethical discussion. And I don't trust a non piggy vet for that discussion.

She's going to the vets tomorrow. I'm broken. Spoken to someone who knows a lot about pigs and she thinks it's time. And that waiting for my vet is probably unfair. I'm worried they will do it wrong.

She doesn't look in pain she's happy but I think I'm delaying the inevitable. She needs her ovaries out too and clearly has bladder problems. She's had 3 ops already this year. But shes happy it makes it so hard. But it's blood.. not a small amount anymore. They say early is better than too late.. I've only ever had to put down pets due to cancer and that was easier

I have my pre-op for myself tomorrow morning too so have to remain composed until tomorrow night 😢

This sounds so tough, I’m really sorry for all you’re going through.

It’s always so hard having to make such choices, whatever way you go it’s easy to second guess yourself I think 🥲

It’s always so hard having to make such choices, whatever way you go it’s easy to second guess yourself I think 🥲
Yes exactly that. I'm looking at her thinking is it just a UTI. Is it her ovaries. Ovaries is unlikely because her uterus is out so blood shouldn't travel down I don't think. There is a smell but then stones can cause UTI. But this is never ending for her...

I think I missed some pain from her though because she looks happier. And I gave metacam again from yesterday so I think something underlying is going on. For her to be so happier on metacam. There is quite a lot of blood in the wees now.

Back