Show your crafts (WIP or finished)

I like that and I think the slight unevenness of a handmade quilt gives it a character that you don’t find in mass produced stuff.

I've just finished the second one and it's even more uneven, lol. But the outer edges can be trimmed back and while I know the inner seams aren't even, I'm good with it. They'll get better as I go on.

16669550937902008797735354918311.webp
Not really a craft but this is my third batch of soup this week, this one tastes better than it looks, green lentil soup, have also made parsnip and Apple and a sweet potato and lentil, some delivered to an elderly relative and some for the freezer. Have also started soaking the fruit for my Christmas cake today ready to bake tomorrow. Although seeing as the sun is glorious today it all feels a bit wrong 😊

I’ve got four things on the go now 🫣
A34F46B7-CC2C-4A35-841E-57E97B3C36AC.webp
This is the second sleeve for a cardigan I’m remaking. I made it years ago then threw it away because it was too warm 😒
F125D0AF-8BAD-4E49-A2D1-6260DA907616.webp
This will become a hat.
5D96F2EA-6424-447D-A216-71647F1A7B24.webp
This will be a vest/slipover.

The fourth item is nothing to write home about. I’m making a jumper for my youngest in a blue yarn. So I’m spending a bit of time knitting each one!

View attachment 213259
Not really a craft but this is my third batch of soup this week, this one tastes better than it looks, green lentil soup, have also made parsnip and Apple and a sweet potato and lentil, some delivered to an elderly relative and some for the freezer. Have also started soaking the fruit for my Christmas cake today ready to bake tomorrow. Although seeing as the sun is glorious today it all feels a bit wrong 😊
Yes been roasting down here today, almost summer again 🌞

View attachment 213259
Cooking is a craft and your soups sound soooooooooo yummy.
The parsnip & apple really sounds lovely

I’ve just made a pan of spiced coconut & pumpkin soup.

I have a piece of fabric that has caught my eye, but I'm not sure what to do with it (if I am able to buy it!). It's a flannel fabric and I haven't worked with that before. What can you make with it besides pajamas? I'm not against pjs, but I would like some other ideas too.

Here is the fabric in question. https://www.joann.com/guinea-pigs-super-snuggle-flannel-fabric/18431072.html

I have a piece of fabric that has caught my eye, but I'm not sure what to do with it (if I am able to buy it!). It's a flannel fabric and I haven't worked with that before. What can you make with it besides pajamas? I'm not against pjs, but I would like some other ideas too.

Here is the fabric in question. https://www.joann.com/guinea-pigs-super-snuggle-flannel-fabric/18431072.html
Oh that is lovely and sadly not available on their UK website 🤣
I can't think what I have had in brushed cotton before other than pyjamas but with it being 100% cotton you could make absolutely anything in it but I suppose you would want to steer clear of shirts etc because they might look like pjs

I can’t see the photo on the website. 😞. A pillow case maybe? Or a snuggle blanket for the sofa?

It looks lovely buy it. I have draws full of fabric just waiting to be called into action

It looks lovely buy it. I have draws full of fabric just waiting to be called into action

13 done. One half done. 27 to go! And I need to work out what to back them with and what to close them with. And maybe stop listening to music at the same time because it's killing me not to air guitar along sometimes lol.

DSC_1140.webp

Soft toys? Or cushions, but I might just have cushions on the brain.

Buy it!
Flannel is one of my absolute favourites, although it is quite hard to get here in Switzerland.
It is super versatile and so easy to sew with.
Here is a good place to start with some ideas.
https://www.allfreesewing.com/Miscellaneous-Projects/Cozy-Warm-Flannel-Sewing-Projects

13 done. One half done. 27 to go! And I need to work out what to back them with and what to close them with. And maybe stop listening to music at the same time because it's killing me not to air guitar along sometimes lol.

View attachment 213672

Soft toys? Or cushions, but I might just have cushions on the brain.
They are looking good @Lorcan

What about a throw or blanket?
That would use quite a lot of them and could be made to any size you want.
You could then use the rest for cushion covers?

Or tote bags if that is your thing.
I have a few patchwork shopping bags and if you line them with a thicker cotton fabric they are quite durable.

They are looking good @Lorcan

What about a throw or blanket?
That would use quite a lot of them and could be made to any size you want.
You could then use the rest for cushion covers?

Or tote bags if that is your thing.
I have a few patchwork shopping bags and if you line them with a thicker cotton fabric they are quite durable.

The thing about cushions is, 4 a piece, 10 cushions, assuming they all hold up to roughly 9" square. That gives me a bit of practice leeway. And I need that practice, heh.

I was following this

DSC_1147.webp

But did this instead

DSC_1151.webp

Because I wanted to make sure I had the triangles right, and definitely not because I was too lazy to fix stitching the first two the wrong way round, nuh uh.

I was following this

View attachment 213948

But did this instead

View attachment 213949

Because I wanted to make sure I had the triangles right, and definitely not because I was too lazy to fix stitching the first two the wrong way round, nuh uh.
That's the beauty of quilting - you can make it up as you go along.
There is no such thing as mistakes - just your version of things :D

Oh I'm not unhappy with it, not by a long shot. I got most of the pointing right, the only big/glaring issue was a seam from the long end of a white triangle with the other 3 pieces, but that was the first one and I got it right with the other three so 🤷‍♂️

I was cutting more fabric (specifically the large squares) but I won't have enough to finish a quilt so I'll need to find a suitable alternative. Then I got hungry and I'm now eating my way through a box of cheese crispies. Fabric has to wait, heh.

Gotta say though, now that I've done it, triangles were a great idea. And the Patchwork Square site has a lot of free block pattern options, too.

Forgot to check the seams before sewing, and then realised once I did it...then did the other three the same way. I'm not planning on unpicking, they can be pressed this way anyway, but would you guys unpick and was it just me being lazy?

DSC_1159.webpI still feel very new to this.

Forgot to check the seams before sewing, and then realised once I did it...then did the other three the same way. I'm not planning on unpicking, they can be pressed this way anyway, but would you guys unpick and was it just me being lazy?

View attachment 214187I still feel very new to this.
I always ask myself 'will anyone know' and 'will it bother me'?.
If the answer is no then I leave things alone.
Ironing is your friend, and no one will see that side anyway!

I recently finished a quilt and messed up the absolute last step.
I checked, and no one else could see the fault so i decided to live with it, because the other option was to unpick almost 5 meters of tightly stitched binding.
Three days later I unpicked it anyway (it took hours) because it was bothering me - I am trying to be better at living with my mistakes though!

So I finally finished not one but two quilts this weekend!
Both of them have been a WIP for a loooong time...

The yellow and grey one if for me, and I actually really enjoyed making it (for the most part).
See my comment about about the part that wasn't such fun.
It started off quite small, just using a few larger pieces of fabric.
Then I decided to practice borders, so I added one of those.
The I decided to add a multicoloured border (piano keys) so I added those.
Then it all got quite large and unwieldy so I stopped.

IMG_0218.webp

The second one was for my teenage daughter.
She didn't really want a quilt for the longest time, but then she saw this pattern and decided that maybe she did want a quilt after all.

I loved making her a quilt, but I honestly didin't love the pattern or process with this one - too much cutting and sewing triangles for my taste.
But it's done now, and I am thrilled with the outcome and most importantly DD loves it too.

IMG_0214.webp

Three days later I unpicked it anyway (it took hours) because it was bothering me - I am trying to be better at living with my mistakes though!

Yup, that's me.

I'm leaving it because as long as everything presses the same way, who'll notice? Well, aside from my mother when she does the actual quilting part, lol.

Also is that bee fabric? Because I swear I have that in fat quarters downstairs. Great choice!

Back