Show your crafts (WIP or finished)

And again, thread starting positions:

VeZ3UDk.webp
PJa3xLG.webp

And the finished braids:

AjtEQrL.webp

That particular waxed cotton braids together quickly because it's chunky, but I swear it's impossible to make it stay in neat lines. Thankfully there's only one lot of it left to go.

Do you know roughly where each thread/colour will end up from previously?

Yup. 8 threads make the middle of one face of the this braid (4-7, FGfg) and the sides of the other, and vice versa (14-17, DEde). And the thread movement is always constant, so rather than trying to work out what colour goes where, which can be a tad confusing in the beginning, watch the threads instead. Which notch (ie, 15 or E, etc) is due to be moved next. It's much easier to pick up that way.

And so it starts.
I have cut out the squares for my latest quilt - I think this is the part I enjoy the least (and am also quite slow at).
Now the squares are cut I get to cut them up some more, and then sew them back together :D
It's a funny hobby if you think about it.
View attachment 208034
It is absolutely a funny thing to do, I found it almost devastating to have spent ages cutting and sewing some blocks on my first quilt to then cut them and re sew them! I am still learning and find it satisfying and stressful in equal measures! I look forward to seeing your creation.

It is absolutely a funny thing to do, I found it almost devastating to have spent ages cutting and sewing some blocks on my first quilt to then cut them and re sew them! I am still learning and find it satisfying and stressful in equal measures! I look forward to seeing your creation.

I hate it, too. Putting it back together is fun, but I hate the cutting part. Just feels like "extra" work, I guess?

I took a brake from crocheting/knitting for a few weeks, but yesterday I started again (nothing like the end of a heatwave and 27° indoors to start working with wool ;)).
Meet Max, the guinea pig!
20220726_093350.webp
20220726_093404.webp
20220726_093420.webp
I misjudged the ideal position for the eyes a bit, but unfortunately that can't be changed. They have to be secure in place before the piggy is finished.

iIF7XP4.webp
y6ITJDy.webp
4RPl0kP.webp

The foam boards are great, but they have one problem - they never look clean. They'll pick up any oils from your skin and any sort of residue that's on the thread, and they go brown. Almost like tobacco smoke staining. It can't be cleaned off, I've tested it, it just seeps into the foam. That's why I've cut off the sides on the "before" photos because the staining looks gross. It's harmless but that's not really the point.

See now I wouldn’t have thought to put the green with the pink but it works!

Green and pink with white or cream is a weird one. This mix isn't bad but lighter pinks just blend into the white/cream too easily (as you can possibly tell from the red/cream/pink above it), so I don't do it often.

Finally finished sewing my daughter's doctors coat/ vets coat/ dentists coat 🤣 I've ordered a patch with a red cross on to add to the chest and I need to add some fasteners which will likely be poppers because I can't be bothered doing button holes and buying buttons

Followed the pattern completely which means it's all french seams too! And my first time doing a collar! Next time I will overcast the edges and bin off the idea of French seams because that was unnecessary faff for kids playwear 🤣

IMG20220724200408.webp

I vaguely remember doing French seams on something I sewed a long time ago. A real ⚽️ache but they were worth it…not a go to especially if you have an overlocker.

I don't have an overlocker yet but soon I will have a new office and sewing space so hopefully then
I love my overlocker so much.
I wasn't sure if I would use it, so just got a super basic Brother one, and I could not be happier with it.

And I am deeply impressed you managed French seams - I don't have the skill or patience (hence the overlocker!).

I love my overlocker so much.
I wasn't sure if I would use it, so just got a super basic Brother one, and I could not be happier with it.

And I am deeply impressed you managed French seams - I don't have the skill or patience (hence the overlocker!).

I'm not sure if I have the patience for them either. Possibly why it's taken me months 😂

View attachment 208326

Made myself a new sun hat. Got so frustrated with fitting circles into circles, but so happy I persisted.
Well done - I really need a new sunhat, but have been putting it off as I worry about getting frustrated with the circle in circle thing.
You have inspired me.

@Zorro1 i like that it’s a forum for piggies and everything else.

I’m going to have a go at working with cotton. Bought some cotton yarn last week and I’m currently working on a swatch. It’s lovely and I may just have to buy some more, in different colours…thinking for work mainly so plain colours. This one is a beige.
7C950AD0-494E-47B4-9BA7-2129E406E2B6.jpeg
I’m still working on my grey sweater. The sleeves were finished so now working on the front. Nothing to write home about but I’ll post a picture anyway. I wish I’d done it in fingering. The two threads keep twisting and I have to untwist 😬
image.webp

So the squares for my quilt are all cut and sewn together - the piles don't look impressive, but there are well over 300 there, and making them took me a while.
Next step - laying them out and making sure they look good before sewing them together.
Oh and finding a big enough patch of clear floor to lay them out in :nod:

tempImageTGlZki.webp

Back