Show your crafts (WIP or finished)

How do you make these @Lorcan? Would you recommend a specific article guide or tutorial video? I was thinking about giving it a go 🙂 They look fantastic.

I'm so sorry, I missed this post entirely somehow. If you're still interested I'll find you the book listing on Amazon, but it'd take a bit of explanation because the book isn't 100% clear on what you're looking at.

Edit - and I used some of the thicker thread for a change

DSC_0658.webp

I'm so sorry, I missed this post entirely somehow. If you're still interested I'll find you the book listing on Amazon, but it'd take a bit of explanation because the book isn't 100% clear on what you're looking at.

Edit - and I used some of the thicker thread for a change

View attachment 197895
All good! Yes, please, I would love that. Thankyou so much :)

All good! Yes, please, I would love that. Thankyou so much :)

so -

Plate, for the square braids
Disc, for the round ones
Creative Kumihimo

She sets them up to braid them the traditional way, so the patterns look a bit odd because they're not laid out the way you'd expect. They're still mostly doable (not all, but it's only two or three out of several), but when I find where on earth I've put my copy I'll take a photo of that pattern you've been doing and let you see what I mean.

I feel like photographing books should be much easier than it is so I'll do the English thing and blame the weather but

DSC_0661.webp
(8 strands)

DSC_0662.webp
(16 strands)

Doing it the traditional way, which is what the diagram is for, vs doing it with the disc which is what I believe you've used @Grand Guinea Pigs , is with the disc you have to turn it. Otherwise it works the same way. Take one thread at a time, if the book says to move two threads but the left thread goes over the right, then move the right thread first. Your thread is always moving the way the pattern intends that way.

With the square braids, I do those on the plate. They don't require rotation.

I feel like photographing books should be much easier than it is so I'll do the English thing and blame the weather but

View attachment 197933
(8 strands)

View attachment 197934
(16 strands)

Doing it the traditional way, which is what the diagram is for, vs doing it with the disc which is what I believe you've used @Grand Guinea Pigs , is with the disc you have to turn it. Otherwise it works the same way. Take one thread at a time, if the book says to move two threads but the left thread goes over the right, then move the right thread first. Your thread is always moving the way the pattern intends that way.

With the square braids, I do those on the plate. They don't require rotation.
Wow that looks very complicated, like knitting 😀

Wow that looks very complicated, like knitting 😀

I mean, I'm no teacher (and I can't knit) but I don't know if I'd say it was complicated? It's like everything new, it can take a while to "click" but once it does, it just does. Incidentally I do my round ones backwards :)) but I've been doing them backwards since I was about 10, lol. I've tried switching it so I do it the "proper" way but honestly at this point, I'm usually doing the braids without thinking. It's like rote, Thread A does this then Thread B does this, etc. Switching that permanently takes effort I'm unwilling to make, lol.

I mean, I'm no teacher (and I can't knit) but I don't know if I'd say it was complicated? It's like everything new, it can take a while to "click" but once it does, it just does. Incidentally I do my round ones backwards :)) but I've been doing them backwards since I was about 10, lol. I've tried switching it so I do it the "proper" way but honestly at this point, I'm usually doing the braids without thinking. It's like rote, Thread A does this then Thread B does this, etc. Switching that permanently takes effort I'm unwilling to make, lol.
They do say if you do 10,000 hours at something you become a expert!

They do say if you do 10,000 hours at something you become a expert!

I was gonna take a photo of the pattern for the blue/yellow/cream braid I posted in the early hours and I flicked through the book a few times before I had to accept it's not actually in there, lol. I took a pattern and shifted it slightly. I surprise even myself sometimes.

With a bit of luck it'll make some sense to @Grand Guinea Pigs because at least they've followed the pattern before. But I do like that book - it's my 3rd copy because I already gave two away and was preparing to buy a 4th copy after lending it to someone again lol. Otherwise I'd suggest YouTube tutorials (I can't recommend any because I've never used any). Something like an 8 strand braid, 4 colours - you can use any sort of yarn or string. I've used wool, cotton, hemp yarn, twine.

the disc and plate I linked, there are other brands out there but the Bead Smith ones are what I keep going back to. The foam doesn't last forever no matter the brand on them but Bead Smith's are generally pretty chunky, if they're too thin they bend too easily which isn't great. You can buy smaller square plates that I like when using a specific thread for a specific braid but it's 50/50 on whether they're too thin or not so I don't try them often.

And mine! Far too much like Maths I think.

No maths involved! If anyone's interested I'll take a photo of each stage on the current braid I'm doing, it might make more sense if people can follow the actual threads that way. No videos, though, lol, the guinea pigs can't work a camera well enough for that.

This is the pattern I unintentionally sort of made up. The book image is of the pattern I adapted it from and it's close enough to being identical that it'll dl as an example.

DSC_0664.webp

And the braid itself.

DSC_0665.webp

DSC_0666.webpDSC_0667.webpDSC_0668.webpDSC_0669.webp

Plus the end product, front and back

DSC_0670.webp
DSC_0671.webp

(please excuse the sock pile)

Back