• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Oh dear - think our baby is poorly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone. He is separated from the others at the moment Tracy because we saw Scruffy charge at him just before we noticed he was poorly. Apparently if one is ill then the others can turn on them as they are herd animals.. poor little boy. Its not Scruffy's fault, he's just being a piggy, but Lucky has been bullied all his life so I think he will be a cossetted little lamb until he is stronger and big enough to meet Scruffy again! Scruffy needs lots of cuddles too as he is on his own and we haven't spent as much time with him as we should as we were looking after Fuzzy and then Lucky.. but fingers crossed, Lucky is getting better, Scruffy is gaining confidence, and Tiger and Jeremy still eat for England! I will see how it goes, really not sure at the moment if I will be able to reintroduce Lucky and Scruffy later on, its not an exact science is it..
Thanks for asking after Lucky!
Off to bed now - we are both goosed!
Lucky is on his snugglepad - he loves it - wondering if I will ever be able to wean him off it!

Thanks everyone,

Katie xx

Aw Bless them all, Only asking cos I have 2 lone boars and you just don't know what to do for the best sometimes do you?
We are such slaves to these piggies!

OMG he's so handsome :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Poor little fella, glad to here he's on the up and up, well done O0 O0

PIGGIE LIPS ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :-* :-*

He certainly is a handsome little fellow, as someone said, a little fluffy lamb :smitten:
So glad he is doing better. What a long thread! I think it is lovely that everyone on here is so caring :smitten: :smitten:

I know, its been really lovely reading everyone's replies.
He is still doing OK - lots of little poops, eating and drinking. Still wobbly and grumbles when he is picked up, but making tiny improvements each day. His toddling is getting faster!

Our big pigs live side by side Tracy, but they play out together. I just don't quite trust them to live together as they niggle at each other!

Aw glad to hear little lucky is still on the mend, i know how u must have felt now with my sick piggies :( sending big hugs for lucky :smitten: x

I know, its been so nice seeing so many people asking after him!

He seems very boney under all his fluff (his hip bones especially) - is there anything we can give him to help him put weight on?

There's a special mix that you can syringe feed, i think it's called critical care or something but not sure where to get it, my vet said that if they lost their apetite to come back and they've got a mix so i think you could get it from the vets. As the vets aren't open on sundays or 2morrow you could ring up an emergency vet like a pdsa and see if they sell it because they would be open and you could just call in? x

We've got some of that - i thought it was like chopped up Timothy that you mix with water.. thing is, he is eating quite a bit of hay, and his pellets and ceral. I don't want to upset him by syringe feeding him if its just more of the same stuff, I was wondering if there was something different that we could try? We got them some egg biscuits the other week - Lucky had a nibble then left it.
Will he put weight on over time?

Hhmm, he's had a tough time lately, it's propbably just been the stress, i'm sorry i don't know of anything specifically for weight gain, i'm sure someone will though and i'd mention it to the vet when you get a chance, hope he's ok x

Galens Garden has veggie mixes and a pure grass mix you could try for variation. The veggie one is properly balanced and the one I use for an alternative to CC (available from SPH Supplies )
Hope this helps, K

aww he is gorgeous! bless him, glad to hear he is doing well, i have heard that oats are good for putting weight on, is this true or am i just as loopy as.. i don't know what 98) here's to a quick and full recovery now, come on little lucky, you can do it. :) :smitten: :smitten: he does look just like a little lamb :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: piggynap him ;D

glad to hear pepe is doing well too, marty. O0

Thanks everyone.
He seems quite wobbly today and his fur round his mouth is a bit mucky - not sure if this is because he has trouble balancing whilst washing his face.. we are trying to get some vit c into him with parsley but he isn't fussed - just eats his nuggets, grass and hay.. :-\ still very worried about him.

Yes cavy love porridge oats are good for putting weight on. You could sprinkle some over his dried food Katie? Also abidec is supposed to be a good tonic and has vit c in it.

lavenderjade said:
Yes cavy love porridge oats are good for putting weight on. You could sprinkle some over his dried food Katie? Also abidec is supposed to be a good tonic and has vit c in it.

They might like oats but they're just high in carbs and low on nutrition. They put on fat, not condition.

Some critical care mixed up and in a bowl is always usually lapped up. Syringe feed him it if he's not eating properly. I always have some on hand in case of emergencies.

Thansk Daftscotslass, we have some Critical Care, he is eating, but just seems boney. Could it be that he hasn't used his back legs much so his hips have gone thin?

daftscotslass said:
lavenderjade said:

They might like oats but they're just high in carbs and low on nutrition. They put on fat, not condition.

Some critical care mixed up and in a bowl is always usually lapped up. Syringe feed him it if he's not eating properly. I always have some on hand in case of emergencies.
oh well, sorry i did say i wasn't sure. :)

What about ready grass or timothy hay? I am sure I have heard they are good for weight gain, also what about weetabix? someone recommended it to me when the runt of my litter was struggling and she loved it she is a lovley sturdy pig now! good luck little man :)

As he is a baby, alfalfa based pellets/hay can be fed to him. Abidec is a liquid vitamin supplement formulated for babies and can be used if you think he is not eating enough to get the vitamins/minerals he needs. Syringe feeding him critical care and organic baby veggie food is recommended if he isnt eating by himself. If he is munching away though, I wouldnt worry. He will get there. Hope is is a bit better today :)

Thanks everyone, he seems to be sticking to his pellets, hay and grass, although he has just started eating some romaine lettace. I've given him a bit of Science Recovery mixed to like a thick soup - he had a good slurp of it then tumbled across it the poor little man! His appetitie seems OK, could his hips be skinny because he hasn't been moving round much while he's been poorly? His tum seems quite round now.. also his ear seems to have more crusts in it so think I will be taking him back to the vets tomorrow.

How is Lucky doing, Katie?

Not heard from you in a while - hope everything's okay.

I think she went on holiday, just incase you're worried but i think she should be back soon :) hope he's ok x

I've just seen the post in Rainbow Pets - I'm so sorry, Katie. What a terrible shock. :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back