• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Oh dear - think our baby is poorly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much everyone, it really is nice to see all your posts.
He's had another cuddle and a drink, and is sat on his snugglepad now after eating a bit of his food. He looks comfortable.

:)

He's managed to toddle over to his waterbottle - the one we got for him specifically to go on the inside of his cage so that he could reach it leaked, so we had been giving him drinks by hand, but OH has rigged up a bottle low down for him and he's just found it, although his poor little head was wobbling all over the place. He's pottering around eating hay and cereal now!
I hope the medecines that he had yesterday will keep him going through today and tomorrow before we take him to the vets. Appointment isn't until 5:50pm.
When they are so small, how often should they have their injections? Will it have done any harm to have missed one today being Sunday?

katiep said:
He's managed to toddle over to his waterbottle - the one we got for him specifically to go on the inside of his cage so that he could reach it leaked, so we had been giving him drinks by hand, but OH has rigged up a bottle low down for him and he's just found it, although his poor little head was wobbling all over the place. He's pottering around eating hay and cereal now!
I hope the medecines that he had yesterday will keep him going through today and tomorrow before we take him to the vets. Appointment isn't until 5:50pm.
When they are so small, how often should they have their injections? Will it have done any harm to have missed one today being Sunday?

Hopefully he will be fine until his appointment. If you are worried in the morning could you take him earlier? I just think this is where it would be better to have oral antibiotics so you could give him his medication regularly.

He sounds such a little fighter! Bless him! :smitten: :smitten:

You will soon be feeling much better Lucky! :-*

Bless his little heart, Sounds like a right little fighter! Hope he is getting better keep us posted rooting for the little chap O0

Medicines differ Katie, I would phone Vedra and ask her what meds and when. Its not unheard of for a vet to recommend a rimadyl inj that will last 'all weekend', which it obviously doesn't ::)

awww what a little fighter! bless :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: good luck and big hugs! :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :-*

just seen this topic hope lucky is feeling better my girls send healing hugs :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

hope he gets better soon

Oh thank you everyone, Lucky seemed better yesterday, he went to the vets, had his jab and squeaked all the way home!
He then seemed very sleepy and off his food a bit - we wondered if it was the jab? Also he seemed to have an upset tummy - I could feel it gurgling away when I held him. he seemes to go a bit downhill after his jabs, then to pick up again the next day. The vet was pleased, said he had improved and should make a full recovery, I am still worried as he is still wobbly and sleepy. (His head isn't swinging about half as much now though).

He is still eating, not drinking as much as he was the other day when he was gulping it down but drinking all the same. I guess we just keep on looking after him as we are doing - he is back at the vets on Thursday.

I told him everyone was asking after him! OH is going home at lunchtime to check on him.

Thank you all!

Aw well done lucky! I would put his off tummy etc down to the jabs, he's been through a lot lately, it does seem like the jabs are working though if he is improving, aslong as he's drinking something i wouldn't worry too much, mine hardly drink anything but they're fine, hope he's feeling better later :smitten: x

Just had a long cuddle with him, his tummy isn't gurgling, and no sticky poops! I put him back in his cage, he wobbled a bit but toddled over to his bottle and had a drink. He seems to be steadier again on his feet, a little improvement each day! And he's eating lots again!
He is meditating on his snuggle pad at the moment - he is still very sleepy.

Glad to hear he is starting to get better. What a dear little boy he is :smitten:

Hi Debbie,
He is still quite wobbly - seems to be making slight improvements each day though. He is toddling more quickly and not falling over much now, also he is eating well. He seems to have gone from having an upset tum to being a bit constipated - he squeaked and did some very hard little poops. he is eating bits of salad and hay so I hope this will help.
I think it is going to be a slow recovery, but he seems better and perkier today, and a bit plumper!
Did you say Ellie had a piggy with the same problem? I was just wondering how long it takes for them to get better - I've been told about 2 weeks. Also is it infectious? I always wash my hand sbefore going to see the other pigs but just wondered.

P@H had him in the back of the shop as he was being bullied - so they put him out with way in the same cage as a rabbit! I wonder if thats where he has caught it from?

Thanks for asking after him!

Hi Kate

I'm glad Lucky is getting a little better, keep us up to date with his progress.

Marty :)

He seems a lot better, I've fixed the problem of him chewing his new cage (for the moment) and he appears to be more like his *new* self (if that makes sense). He was sitting on Julie's shoulder earlier head tucked under her head, and then I brough Dylan out for a cuddle too and he seemed to enjoy him being close by :)

We're still waiting for his test results from Vedra though.

Hi love, it's great to read that he's improving everyday. One step forward at a time, that's all you can ask for O0
Sending him healing wheeks and piggie kisses (manly of course LOL) from Duke :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

katiep said:
Did you say Ellie had a piggy with the same problem? I was just wondering how long it takes for them to get better - I've been told about 2 weeks. Also is it infectious? I always wash my hand sbefore going to see the other pigs but just wondered.

Ellie's Fluffy had a problem with her head tilting and loss of balance two/three times. She had it later in life though. She must have been about 4 1/2 when she got it the first time. She tended to pick up very quickly once she was on antibiotics - certainly within a couple of days. She would walk along just fine and then suddenly she would lose control of her head and it would go to the side and her balance would be affected...she would then recover and a few seconds later it would happen again!

She always stayed with her cage mates (her daughters) and they never caught it.

Hopefully it won't be too long before Lucky is feeling much better. Its good to know he's improving all the time! :)

Lucky went for a check up today, and the vet said that he was looking better, and although it would take a long time, that he would make a full revovery. However, soon after getting him home he seems very, very sleepy, will hardly walk, has just sniffed at his food and salad, and is just sitting there. He made a few squeaky grumbles when picked up, so wasnt cuddled for long. Now he is just sitting in one location and not really moving. His breathing seems regular, but he is doing a strange kind of twitch, like scrunching himself up as if he was going to the loo, but he does it every few seconds. Its only a very slight movement, like he scrunches himself inwards, but he doesnt look comfortable, in fact he looks in a tiny bit of pain. I have just called the 24hr emergency vet (8:30pm) but he hasnt replied back. We are a bit concerned :(

Oh no :( everything crossed for lucky, he's a fighter try not to worry. As furry friends sed it could be constipation which would be putting him off his food, i really hope it's not serious. Get better little lucky :smitten: x

Thanks. The vet hasnt phoned back yet.

If it is constipation, is there anything we can do to ease it? Is there anything at all we can do for the him, he seems very sleepy?

I'm so sorry i have'nt got a clue how to help, hopefully someone with more experience should reply, do you have a psda or anything near you where you could take him? I had a baby bird to rescue a few weeks ago and the emergency vet took ages so i rang 118118 and asked for emergency vets in my area and took him down there so maybe thats an idea? sorry I'm no use :( praying he's ok though x

Oh Katie I hope he is going to be OK.
Fingers and paws crossed for the little guy.

Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back