• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Oh dear - think our baby is poorly

Status
Not open for further replies.
katiep said:
Thanks. The vet hasnt phoned back yet.

If it is constipation, is there anything we can do to ease it? Is there anything at all we can do for the him, he seems very sleepy?

The movement you talked about is something they do when they're in pain - were you given any painkillers for him to take home?

Is he still doing small dark poops? This suggests that he might not be getting enough food and water (but a vet needs to examine him to make sure he's not bloated) - do you have access to critical care or science recovery? Keep chasing up the vet - sometimes harassing them is the only way to get some action, he needs one asap.

The vet said he'd meet us at the surgery - he had a look, squeezed round his tum, a little poop came out, but he said he couldn't feel any impaction of poop, and that it was probably colic.
The poor little lamb has had a shot of steroids, and he's given us some lactulose to give him 0.3 every 20 mins to ease his tum.

The poor little love, he must be so fed up. I feel guilty for calling the vet out too, but he was dead nice about it. We are lucky to have such a good vet.

He's probably not pooping because he's not eating. From what you describe it sounds like he is in pain. Can you try and get some food into him, just offer him some. If he won't take it you need to offer him a little at a time of syringe feed. Blended veg, dry food whatever but only alittle every hour or so and make sure he gets water. The vet didn't say he was bloated then?

We found this on the web - describes pretty much what he has.

YPICAL BEHAVIORAL SIGNS OF ILLNESS, PAIN, OR DISTRESS

¨ Guarding (protecting the painful area)

¨ Vocalizing (especially when the animal moves or the painful area is palpated)

¨ Licking, biting, scratching, or shaking a particular area (guinea pigs virtually NEVER bite unless sick or in pain)

¨ Restlessness, such as pacing and repeatedly lying down and getting up again

¨ Lack of mobility (with joint, colic, or gut pain)

¨ Failure to groom, causing an unkempt appearance

¨ Abnormal resting postures in which the animal appears to be sleeping or is “hunched upâ€

¨ Failure to show normal patterns of inquisitiveness

Have you tried feeding him and giving water. He's definitely in pain from the sounds of it but hunger can make them do this too. Have the steroids made any difference? How long ago were they given?

Aw poor little lucky isn't having much luck at all, but he's still fighting, hope he's feeling better and wish i could offer some better advice :( x

Thanks all,
He's had 4 lots of lactulose now (the vet said to give it to him every 20 mins or so). The cramps seem to have eased, and he is having a snooze.
Poor little fella.

Katie we are all holding out such hope for little lucky. Give him a gentle kiss and cuddle from all of us :-*

oh poor little baby :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: hope that the pain eases and he gets better soon. (((((big hugs and loads of love to you and your baby)))))) :smitten: :smitten: :-*

Thinking about you both.. hope you have good news for us today, Katie :-\

Aw thank you so much everyone!
Lucky perked up after his lactulose last night, we checked on him during the night, and this morning there were quite a few little poops on his snuggle pad! he looks a lot brighter, he is eating (quite a lot!) and toddling over to his bottle for drinks. He is getting steadier little by little each day and the head movements have calmed down - he seems a lot better than he was last night and we are so relieved and proud of him for fighting!
He even toddled over to the front of the cage just now to say hello! :smitten:
We are feeling hopeful again - his tummy seems to be OK now (but we have some lactulose just in case), he is eating lots of hay and cereal (although not much veg/salad) and is drinking and toddling around.

(He said to say thank you to you all for thinking of him!)

Thanks so much, it means a lot reading all your nice messages. :)

That is wonderful news, I am so pleased for you and little Lucky :smitten: :smitten:
Keep it up little man :)

That's excellent news Katie. :)

Keep going Lucky, we're all thinking of you.

awww i'm soo glad to hear, he's on the mend now! :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: (((Hugs)))

Here's the little man (taken before he was poorly). I'll post some more pics once he is better. he is still tiny! You can see a bit of the scab in his ear where he was bitten in the petshop. >:(

S1030233.jpg

Awww bless him :smitten:, glad to hear he is getting better Katie.
Thats such good news

katiep said:
Thanks! He's having a rest on his snugglepad now.
Phew, thank heavens for vets!

How's Pepe doing Marty?

He's doing fine at the moment (touch wood), we still haven't heard back from Vedra though.

I like the picture of Lucky btw, he looks so small :)

Oh I'm glad he's doing better - so glad! :)

I love the photo of him - he looks like a sweet little lamb! :smitten:

We call him our little lamb! He's sitting here on my knee, contemplating chewing my t shirt!
Can you imagine when he is bigger, it will be like having a little sheep running round! I can' wait for that as it will mean he got better. :)

Aw bet he will be a spoilt little lamb...
Are you going to leave the boys separated now?

:) Glad to read this Katie :) He looks just like our Cloud (except he turned grey ::) ) He'll be your little sheep pig ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back