Minnou’s piggies

It's great that you've found something they like to nibble on but I've just had a look at the ingredients and they really shouldn't be eaten by guinea pigs. The ingredients are:

Ground Corn, Wheat Flour, Linseed 9.9%, Carrot 8.1%, Yellow Millet, Red Millet, Vegetable Oil, Peanuts, De-Hulled Sunflower Seed, Dandelion 1.1 %, Vegetable Starch, Curcuma

Wheat flour isn't good for them and they really shouldn't eat nuts either. I don't think that the other ingredients are that great either.
In fact the dandelion and carrot that they are advertised as being account for less than 10% of what is in there. It is advertised as something healthier than it is.

Have you tried them with forage? Mine love forage they have it for every evening for supper and are waiting for it after their pea flakes and apple chunks. Thea has her "Feed me NOW Slave" face on, Bramble is bouncing around the cage and Misty just sits and waits in a very dignified manner pretending that Bramble isn't her daughter.

It's great that you've found something they like to nibble on but I've just had a look at the ingredients and they really shouldn't be eaten by guinea pigs. The ingredients are:

Ground Corn, Wheat Flour, Linseed 9.9%, Carrot 8.1%, Yellow Millet, Red Millet, Vegetable Oil, Peanuts, De-Hulled Sunflower Seed, Dandelion 1.1 %, Vegetable Starch, Curcuma

Wheat flour isn't good for them and they really shouldn't eat nuts either. I don't think that the other ingredients are that great either.
In fact the dandelion and carrot that they are advertised as being account for less than 10% of what is in there. It is advertised as something healthier than it is.

Have you tried them with forage? Mine love forage they have it for every evening for supper and are waiting for it after their pea flakes and apple chunks. Thea has her "Feed me NOW Slave" face on, Bramble is bouncing around the cage and Misty just sits and waits in a very dignified manner pretending that Bramble isn't her daughter.
Poop. Why do mine only like eating poison, plastic and radiator pipes. =(

I've tried them with some forage and they did eat a bit of it and then spent the rest of the time scampering through it like it was a microscopic pile of hay.

Mine love forage too, but can be a bit fussy about which forage.
Dried leaves are a no-no but dried flowers & herbs are a definite yes.
A handful of oat hay or Readigrass as occasional treats also go down very well.

These two litte nightmares...

I heard one of them squeal like they were in pain, they were both in the den bit in their cage so I don't know who it was or why. They could've just been pulling each other's hair for all I know but from the amount of discussions on here about UTIs and bladder stones, I've now separated them, put them in their own box with a white towel and I'm trying to catch them squat and squeal, or, see if there is any blood in their wee and I've been waiting for about an hour now and neither of them will do anything. 😭

These two litte nightmares...

I heard one of them squeal like they were in pain, they were both in the den bit in their cage so I don't know who it was or why. They could've just been pulling each other's hair for all I know but from the amount of discussions on here about UTIs and bladder stones, I've now separated them, put them in their own box with a white towel and I'm trying to catch them squat and squeal, or, see if there is any blood in their wee and I've been waiting for about an hour now and neither of them will do anything. 😭
Bless you, are you still waiting? I fed Billy wet veg when I put him in detention to try and get a wee sample , then after nearly an hour he produced a little 0.2ml sample for me to take to the vet!

Bless you, are you still waiting? I fed Billy wet veg when I put him in detention to try and get a wee sample , then after nearly an hour he produced a little 0.2ml sample for me to take to the vet!
I've given up for now; they were toe-tapping waiting for some grass. Now they're stuffing their faces and popcorning around the cage. I'm still left wondering if the squeal was because of some hair pulling.

If they were both in a hide then it could well have been a submission squeal.

If they were both in a hide then it could well have been a submission squeal.
I've never heard of this... does it sound exactly like a squeal of pain? They've been having a dominance competition this week, with Minerva really stepping up the rumblestrutting and chasing. So it could be related to this?

I've never heard of this... does it sound exactly like a squeal of pain? They've been having a dominance competition this week, with Minerva really stepping up the rumblestrutting and chasing. So it could be related to this?

A submission squeal is literally the submissive piggy telling the dominant that they accept their position. Yes, sounds like a squeal of pain.

It is possible they are in season if you are seeing an increase in dominance.

A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Poop. Why do mine only like eating poison, plastic and radiator pipes. =(

I've tried them with some forage and they did eat a bit of it and then spent the rest of the time scampering through it like it was a microscopic pile of hay.

I agree with Betsy - I wouldn’t feed those items with those ingredients.
I don’t buy any commercial treats.
Treats for my piggies are a different type of herb or veg.

I do however buy forage from Piggie Parcels. A small company run by a member of this forum. Fantastic forage in mixes and single bags so you can buy just the things they like.
I give forage most days (I only gice pellets 2-3 times a week and give forage instead)

A submission squeal is literally the submissive piggy telling the dominant that they accept their position. Yes, sounds like a squeal of pain.

It is possible they are in season if you are seeing an increase in dominance.

A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
I did wonder a few days ago if Minerva at least might be in season.

Thinking about it, they were urinating without issue about 30-50 minutes prior to the squealing I heard, when they were having floor time - they always tinkle when they're out. They've been behaving, eating, drinking as normal. No complaints about being held or being gently poked or squeezed to see if they react in a pained manner, so it is probably me being a hypochondriac and they're both bullying each other. XD
I agree with Betsy - I wouldn’t feed those items with those ingredients.
I don’t buy any commercial treats.
Treats for my piggies are a different type of herb or veg.

I do however buy forage from Piggie Parcels. A small company run by a member of this forum. Fantastic forage in mixes and single bags so you can buy just the things they like.
I give forage most days (I only gice pellets 2-3 times a week and give forage instead)
So are the forage boxes from Pets at Home bad as well?

A submissive squeal can sound really distressing. Sometimes Boris sounds like he's being murdered, I look over to check and either he's doing it while still flopped out (like a furry pancake)or George is only looking at him!
Some piggies are truly dramatic!
🙄

A submissive squeal can sound really distressing. Sometimes Boris sounds like he's being murdered, I look over to check and either he's doing it while still flopped out (like a furry pancake)or George is only looking at him!
Some piggies are truly dramatic!
🙄
I heard it from another room; it was even louder than the wheeking they do when they know I've returned with some grass for them.

I ran into the room, opened up all the cage, practically ripped the den out and chucked it out the way and they were both just curled up an inch from each other like nothing was happening. I was picking them both up and checking them all over and hugging them and they were both like 'omg, wut? I was happy where I was!'

On a separate note, whilst waiting for them to pee, I decided to (try) give long-haired Gaia her first trim around her butt and lady bits and thighs because I don't want her getting tangled/matted and she mauled the person holding her. Can't wait to start trimming their nails. :roll:

Mind you, the screaming from Boris when I did his first nail trim....... husband was freaking out...."have you cut his quick?"......at that point I hadn't even got the clippers just had his foot in my hand. Got two feet done then gave up before the neighbours phoned the police! Got then done at the vets in the end. Needless to say, he behaved beautifully, no pulling away, no screaming.... SIGH.
DRAMA QUEEN

Mind you, the screaming from Boris when I did his first nail trim....... husband was freaking out...."have you cut his quick?"......at that point I hadn't even got the clippers just had his foot in my hand. Got two feet done then gave up before the neighbours phoned the police! Got then done at the vets in the end. Needless to say, he behaved beautifully, no pulling away, no screaming.... SIGH.
DRAMA QUEEN
They know that it's safe to act up with you XD

I'm dreading trimming Gaia's nails now that I know she's not afraid to fight back and both her front paws/nails are black... :help:

George has all black nails. Even though he's a zen master I pay to get them done at the vets. That wasn't the plan with Boris but in hindsight I like that the vet nurse loves both of them and gives them an MOT at the same time. Worth it with Boris being a satin.

George has all black nails. Even though he's a zen master I pay to get them done at the vets. That wasn't the plan with Boris but in hindsight I like that the vet nurse loves both of them and gives them an MOT at the same time. Worth it with Boris being a satin.
Will any vet trim their nails for you? How much does it cost?

I may find this easier than providing full body armour for the unfortunate holding her whilst I try to grab flailing limbs. XD

Hopefully just a submissive squeal.
Uh oh to the unlucky person holding Gaia.

Good luck with nail trims. We have Hamish who doesn’t mind, shares his displeasure but allows me get to get on & do all paws. Then there is Billy who is such a drama king , likes to nip and has curly front paw nails. I have to feed coriander/lettuce and one toe at a time over a week or 2.
( He once distracted me with a broken tooth & dodged nail trim for a week!)

I have a P&H round the corner from me, it's supposed to be £15 each but I keep getting charged £25 for both. Like I said, that includes an MOT. They've seen the same vet nurse each time so she knows them. She likes that George is chilled and gets a cuddle from him. Boris being a satin makes his coat gorgeous looking and incredibly soft and he is very friendly, if excitable. To me it's worth paying.

Hopefully just a submissive squeal.
Uh oh to the unlucky person holding Gaia.

Good luck with nail trims. We have Hamish who doesn’t mind, shares his displeasure but allows me get to get on & do all paws. Then there is Billy who is such a drama king , likes to nip and has curly front paw nails. I have to feed coriander/lettuce and one toe at a time over a week or 2.
( He once distracted me with a broken tooth & dodged nail trim for a week!)
I've always taken Gaia for being quite meek and timid; didn't think she would kick off. It was just butt hair and I wasn't pulling on it. XD

I have a P&H round the corner from me, it's supposed to be £15 each but I keep getting charged £25 for both. Like I said, that includes an MOT. They've seen the same vet nurse each time so she knows them. She likes that George is chilled and gets a cuddle from him. Boris being a satin makes his coat gorgeous looking and incredibly soft and he is very friendly, if excitable. To me it's worth paying.
How often do you have to take them for a trim? Do you get a loyalty card? XD

I just watched a video on youtube of a piggie screaming like a banshee because the vet was just holding him/her, nothing more. XD

No loyalty card, not sure how often. I just keep a check on the nails. Used to be about 6 weeks but more like 2 months now they're older. Every time I think I've left it too long but been told their nails are not too bad.

At least you have girls! Imagine doing a boy bit check!
I've always taken Gaia for being quite meek and timid; didn't think she would kick off. It was just butt hair and I wasn't pulling on it. XD

Your post just reminded me, my original boy Tim (nice but dim), was very feisty, took 3 people at the vets to clip his nails.... And the screaming 😱.....

Your post just reminded me, my original boy Tim (nice but dim), was very feisty, took 3 people at the vets to clip his nails.... And the screaming 😱.....
I hope Gaia doesn't turn out to be a Tim. :xd:

Wriggle like it was going out of fashion, scream as if being murdered, wee and poop for England ! And the blood!
That’s nail trimming at home with 2 of us plus a dish of cornflour for the blood. 🩸

It’s so much easier to get the nails done by the vet nurse

Feeding time be like... Part X

*fresh bowl of pellets*

Gaia: *Eating like a normal sensible piggie*
Minerva: *In the bowl, wading through the pellets to get to the ones on Gaia's side - crying the whole time*

Me: They're the exact same pellets! >3<

Back