Hot weather warning for the UK - Member questions and heatwave feedback

Had to set up the hospital cage downstairs after these 2 had a good try at cooking themselves under their bedding. They were fine, just very warm to the touch so I've wiped cool water on their ears. They absolutely refuse to go near their frozen bottles, it can't be because they can't see them because Paddington, Tilly and Pearl are all using them just fine. Maybe they don't trust the new smell?

Theyre normal temp now and that's the last of the animals out of my bedroom now, the piggy room is still a nice temperature at least. No room for another 22 in my dining room 🤣

20220719_171415.jpg

Can you put them into the bathroom If it’s cooler?
Actually the bathroom is hotter than the kitchen! The kitchen is definitely the best option for now, and after rearranging things I've got the temperature to remain steady. Fingers crossed it will be ok.
They seem fairly happy. Lots of wheeking just now when I was preparing their evening veggies :)

I know ignoring cooling elements is supposed to mean that they aren’t too hot, but I’d really really appreciate it if she’d just acknowledge their presence!
She’s camped out in the plastic bendy tunnel. She’s dragged in a toilet roll stuffed with stalky Timothy and is quite happy thank you very much. Meanwhile I have placed a frozen bottle-sock in one hide and a cool pod in another and I’ve covered half the bendy tunnel with a frozen tea towel as it’s 28degrees when not in a plastic tube full of guineapig!
Ugh, I miss winter. We’re not made for this heat!

I'd thought it was only meant to be 4-5 days but actually, looking at Rochdale's weather forecast for the week, I'm very wrong. I'm Irish, I'm built for this heat less than even the goblins are.
I hear you! I can’t even stand 22o.

Thankfully my house is cool, even tho the garden is baking! There’s a wee breeze here in sunny Belfast and it even rained this afternoon. But seriously - I hope no one I know comes to my door because you should see the state of me!

Aggghh waiting for this temperature to drop is torture. I'm desperate now to open some windows and doors downstairs and get some air in. Feels like we've been shut in Draculas Castle forever but it's still so warm outside. Mind you I couldn't think of three little creatures who I'd rather have as castle companions 🙂

So I'm an idiot. The goblins can't have the fan...but I can, and it shouldn't have taken til 6pm this evening to work that out. Two days I've sat through this torture. They're also completely unfazed by the just under 27C heat because they're happily ignoring the frozen stuff wrapped in teatowels (unless to try eating it) and prefer to shriek at me for food instead. Just had to chuck out a bag of rocket though because very few leaves were edible. And it was in date, too. :no: I'd give them the rest of the lambs lettuce but apparently they've eaten their fill of that for the day.

That was a hot day at work, home feels cooler, but still hot if that makes sense! Piggies are at 25.8C.
Looking forward to the temperature dropping can’t take much more of this.
Our loft room reached 43C earlier. 🥵.
Husband hasn’t left the house at all today! I don’t blame him. I had to step outside at lunch time for 3 mins, and that was enough for me. Walking to and from work was no fun either.
Well done everyone for staying cooler inside than outside.

I checked the weather when I got in from work and it said rain imminent and temperatures dropping to 23 so I excitedly opened all my windows...only for the rain to never come and it's still 31 degrees three hours later. Feeling awful for myself and the piggies, as living room temperature is now reading 31.2. Both pigs are on their tiles now, although the frozen water bottles are still being ignored so hopefully they're feeling okay. Fingers crossed it cools down soon either way.

I checked the weather when I got in from work and it said rain imminent and temperatures dropping to 23 so I excitedly opened all my windows...only for the rain to never come and it's still 31 degrees three hours later. Feeling awful for myself and the piggies, as living room temperature is now reading 31.2. Both pigs are on their tiles now, although the frozen water bottles are still being ignored so hopefully they're feeling okay. Fingers crossed it cools down soon either way.
Same here had the windows open As weather said the temperature dropping to 22, the rain never came and it’s still 32c, over 29 in the kitchen where my rabbit is and the living room where the piggies are, 😩

At the moment where I am is 36% but it drops to the 20s when I put the thermometer outside. I don't know if that's worse than humid. I complain either way lol
We are at a very low 55% humidity; we normally have about 80 to 90% humidity. Trust me, high humidity makes the heat a million times worse as you cannot escape the heat. It is the same temp in the shade as it is in direct sun when it is high humidity.

In the US, we have air conditioners to help cool the air. The air conditioners also remove some of the humidity or you can use a dehumidifier to help remove humidity and that will also cool the air. My grandma told me that out in the western, dryer part of the US they cannot use air conditioning as the air is too dry. They have to make a swamp cooler (not sure if that is the actual name, but that is what she called it) and it adds humidity to the air in order for you to be able to cool it. It sounds like all of the wet sheets that everyone has been applying to their windows are kind of a swamp cooler for everyone. Hopefully it will cool down for everyone.

@Eriathwen stay safe from the fire!

I've caved, taken down the window defences and opened things up. It was so stuffy and I think the outside and the inside are the same at about 29 degrees. Boys still fine and the cat has gone out on his nightly tour...it's just me that's struggling now! 🥵

The common just up the road from me is on fire, I've ran through there quite a few times, it has adders and loads of other wildlife :( I hope they can put it out quickly.

Someone on Facebook managed to get this picture.

View attachment 207561
That is so scary! They have been saying on the radio about grass fires breaking out in places and somewhere it started in a garden and spread to houses. I'm starting to feel nervous about moving everyone back into the piggy shed tomorrow incase it randomly catches fire. Over reacting I know but my brain has a habit of sometimes jumping to "worst case scenario" mode

I've caved, taken down the window defences and opened things up. It was so stuffy and I think the outside and the inside are the same at about 29 degrees. Boys still fine and the cat has gone out on his nightly tour...it's just me that's struggling now! 🥵
I've done the same, following the forecast I was expecting lower temperatures by now. So much for that 🙄 pigs seem happy but it's still so hot!

I'm thinking the windows are staying open again tonight. I know the temps are to drop tomorrow but overnight's still looking pretty awful.

Edit: can't even open the windows it's still too hot out there. Just went upstairs to be greeted with a thousand yard stare from Bann who doesn't normally sleep like that. My nerves can't take this, lol.

We are at a very low 55% humidity; we normally have about 80 to 90% humidity. Trust me, high humidity makes the heat a million times worse as you cannot escape the heat. It is the same temp in the shade as it is in direct sun when it is high humidity.

In the US, we have air conditioners to help cool the air. The air conditioners also remove some of the humidity or you can use a dehumidifier to help remove humidity and that will also cool the air. My grandma told me that out in the western, dryer part of the US they cannot use air conditioning as the air is too dry. They have to make a swamp cooler (not sure if that is the actual name, but that is what she called it) and it adds humidity to the air in order for you to be able to cool it. It sounds like all of the wet sheets that everyone has been applying to their windows are kind of a swamp cooler for everyone. Hopefully it will cool down for everyone.

@Eriathwen stay safe from the fire!
Just googled it, evaporative cooler is another name for swamp cooler and yes I suppose the wet sheets work in a similar manner.

@Eriathwen that's horrible. Hope that was put out quickly and no one was hurt.

Well I've finally reduced to tears. Since 6pm I've been battling to keep everyone alive and well. Got to 31° inside and 5/8 pigs started showing signs of heat distress (pancaked on ice packs and tiles, not moving or interested in food and breathing really fast). My one rat was showing signs of heat stroke (collapsed, panting. I actually thought she was dead as she was facing away from me so I couldn't see panting and as it's dark and she's black I couldn't see breathing). Everyone seems ok now and bounced back quickly. Tucked into veggies and hay which is a relief. Rats have fresh, cold ceramic hides and a large dish of lukewarm water to cool off in if needed. I'm really keeping an eye on Splat (the rat who was in trouble), as it's still 29 inside. A cool breeze is coming every now and again which is nice.

Please plan now for the coming hot days!

Here are just some important measures but there are lots more. Please read our advice; we'd rather not need to help you with your piggies suffering from overheating, heat stroke and any resulting loss of appetite but with helping you to get your piggies safely through the coming heat spike and this summer.

Please make sure that you never let your piggies come into direct contact with ice and the full blast of fans and air cons and that double shade is no protection from a full-on sunheated breeze blowing into the shade.
View attachment 205463

Keeping your piggies cool
- Give your long-haired piggies a welcome summer haircut so they are not lugging the equivalent of a skisuit around a tropical beach. They will be ever so grateful to you; and you can easily prevent the higher risk of overheating for long-hairs.
Our hair cutting guide has both videos and pictures to show you how to best go about it: An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting

- Put your hot weather measures in place NOW.
Please keep in mind that just one measure may not be enough but that lots of little measures that do not cost much and do not impact on the environment as badly are actually very effective in combination - and that you can also profit from a cooler room/flat/house as much as your piggies!
View attachment 205465
Of one the lowest impact/cost and most effective ways of keeping indoors temperatures down is not the most sightly but it is a good way of recycling old bedding to keep the sun off your window glass on the sunny side. In temperatures over 30 C I also soak the sheets with water (if needed repeatedly); when it evaporates, it creates an insulating layer of cool air between the sheets and the windows, keeping indoors temperatures up to 10 C / 20 F lower than outside - without using any extra electricty. The piggy room is behind the blue sheet.
For temperatures over 30 C, we also have bed sheets to cover our upstairs windows at least partially. We fix them by catching them between the opening window panes and the frames. Especially if you do not curtains in your rooms but can still open windows, it is worth a try.

LOTS of practical little tips for both cages and rooms can be found in our hot weather guide - we have listed all possible tips we have come across and tested them for ourselves as to whether they really work: Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

- Hutches and sheds: Please bring your piggies indoors during heat spikes - hutches and sheds can become quickly death traps. The temperature inside a hutch is ca. 10 degrees higher than outside. In a pinch, a bathtub or shower floor with an old towel will do but here are more tips on improvised accommodation: Temporary Housing Solutions?

These comparative temperatures were taken on a warm but not record hot day in 2020 by East Anglian Guina Pig Rescue
View attachment 205602

- Keep any direct sun off your piggy room or at least off your piggy cage

- Please do NOT open the windows and have a fan blow the hot air straight into the room. It is a common and sadly fatal mistake. Keep in mind that a sun-warmed breeze is a lot hotter than any temperatures in the shade.
Open your window and allow the fan blow in air only once the outside breeze and air is cooler than indoors. If possible create cooling through drafts first thing in the morning and in the evenings.

- Gel packs: Please be aware that they can be fatal if your piggies get to gnaw on them and digest any gel. Cooling elements from a cool box or a three quarters filled frozen water bottle are a safer option. Please always make sure that any frozen elements need to be wrapped in fabric and that any gel pack is not accessible to any investigative gnawer.

- If your piggies are ignoring any cooling elements, please rejoice: they are not feeling overheated and you are doing your job right in keeping them cool. Best compliment you can get from your piggies on a hot day!
Any piggies pancaked to the floor and sprawling or quite literally plastered to the least hint of coolness are however feeling too hot. Please do your homework and see whether introducing additional measures can help.

- Guinea pigs do NOT like to swim for their lives, are very much at risk of secondary drowning (water filled lungs leading to death after the swim) and most don't like water in the first place, not even very shallow water.
Forcing a piggy to swim is outright cruelty and animal abuse.
Can And Should Guinea Pigs Swim?

Lawn time
- Please do not keep your piggies on the lawn or in hutches during the hottest hours of the day and never, ever in full sun in temperatures over 25 C / 77 F. Any hut or hutch can become 10 C / 20 F or even hotter than the ambient temperature within minutes. Beware of any Omelet runs; they are a death trap in heatwaves.
A sun-heated breeze blowing straight into the shade of a big tree can still kill, as several forum members have found out the hard way to their immense upset. Morning trips and evening lawn time on a balmy evening are much better; especially once the outdoors is much cooler and refreshing than the stuffy inside of your house.

- Accustom your piggies slowly to eating lots of grass; it can cause potentially fatal bloat if it hits an unprepared gut.
Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time

- How to best deal with escapees and preventing escapes in the first place: Keeping Piggies Safe during outdoor time

Hot weather diet
- Please rather than overfeeding your piggies on watery fruit and veg and then fretting why they do not drink and have diarrhea or bloating, concentrate on providing drinkable cool water at all times.
Consider adding crushed ice to your water bottles if you are out and changing the bottles with fridge cooled water regularly if you are at home.

- If you are out all day, you can additionally leave a large piece of cucumber with your piggies. The core of it will stay cool for longer and it is healthier than a big fruit salad. Water melons are of course a lovely and much welcome treat, but they are essentially sugar water in edible form. Piggies have a sweet tooth, just like us. (PS: Melon rind is edible, too).

- Do NOT serve frozen fruit - they can freeze to the tongue or mouth and can cause serious damage, as seen on this forum a couple of times.

- Keep to a normal diet with leafy greens and cucumber as much as possible in order to avoid tummy upsets. Soft poos are generally a sign that you are overfeeding fresh food.

- If your piggies are not drinking cool water, then you are either over-supplying watery veg or your piggies could be overheated in combination with other symptoms
(see chapter below).
Piggies do not drink the more fluid you provide, they just take as much as they need, whether it is in edible or drinkable form; it is as simple as that. As long as they have access to water at a drinkable temperature, they will not dehydrate.

Heat exhaustion/strokes and blow fly strike (flesh eating maggots) - know the symptoms
- Please read the guides below (they are also - like all the advice on here - incorporated in our comprehensive hot weather guide above, which I would strongly recommend to bookmark) so you can spot the signs of heat exhaustion/stroke and blow fly strike (flesh eating maggots) and know what you need to do straight away.
Heat stroke symptoms and what to do
Fly Strike

- If your piggies are not eating properly or a very flat, you need to see a vet asap as an emergency since heat stroke can kill. Exhaustion and stroke do also affect the heart and can cause full or partial GI stasis (the gut stops working as the body overheats).
In pregnant sows (especially in not great conditions), pregnancy toxaemia in the two weeks before and after birth can also hit; symptoms are very similar.

Babies, pregnant sows, ill or old piggies need extra precautions
Please be aware that these groups are at an increased risk of death and secondary health problems if their still developing, not fully working or overworking immune system is further unbalanced by the extra heat burden.
Make sure that you are extra careful in keeping them cool and safe!

Travelling safely to the vet or away in hot weather

You can find a chapter with lots of practical tips on how to keep your piggies as safe as possible during a journey in hot weather in this link here, especially if you haven't got air con and your car is hot: Travelling with guinea pigs

I sincerely hope that all these tips will help you to keep your piggies safe and alive over the coming days and this summer.
Don't assume that you already know everything - try out all possible tips if you can find and test out which combination works for you. It can really save lives. The climate is not getting any cooler so you will have to implement more tricks summers to come. When it comes to hot wether, playing it safe is really so much better than being sorry.

I would strongly recommend to bookmark this link here, which contains all the practical advice and detailed tips to all points raised in this thread here. You do not want to search around long in any emergency: Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike
Thanks very much for all this advice. My two piggies have been indoors for the last few days due to the heat and although they’ve found it hard, they seem to be ok. My question is, can I put them back outside tomorrow morning (before I go out to work) when it’s set to be about 18 degrees - nearly 20 degrees cooler than today - or will the temperature drop be too much of a shock for them? Thanks in advance for any advice 🙏

Thanks very much for all this advice. My two piggies have been indoors for the last few days due to the heat and although they’ve found it hard, they seem to be ok. My question is, can I put them back outside tomorrow morning (before I go out to work) when it’s set to be about 18 degrees - nearly 20 degrees cooler than today - or will the temperature drop be too much of a shock for them? Thanks in advance for any advice 🙏

I wouldn't, only because there's too good a chance the heat would climb and if you're not home for it, it could be disastrous.

Back