Hay!

Can you get seed heads like this in Timothy hay? The brown ones look more meadowy to me?

Attachments

• 16916664593024964676842873964658.webp
    16916664593024964676842873964658.webp
    162.2 KB · Views: 11
Can you get seed heads like this in Timothy hay? The brown ones look more meadowy to me?

It looks more like the seed heads of other grasses (ie meadow hay) rather than timothy seed heads to me.

When you look at the pictures on their website the soft timothy does look very similar to the meadow on there

It looks more like the seed heads of other grasses (ie meadow hay) rather than timothy seed heads to me.

When you look at the pictures on their website the soft timothy does look very similar to the meadow on there
This is meant to be their Timothy box

It doesn’t look like the soft timothy I’ve ever used before either
I've messaged them on their website. If I don't get a reply soon I will email them. It's lovely hay. I just have to be careful what I'm feeding is the thing.

Sometimes if it 2nd cutting,you get mainly the leaves of Timothy hay.not many seed heads.i would email the company and ask.
I've messaged them. With photos. They both smell the same too mind as well as looking the same.

Ooh, exciting times. Teenagers brought it in!
It’s a massive box though 😂 I usually buy a micro bale but that wasn’t an option. Jenny is in the phase of life where I have stern words with her before committing to spending money on stuff like hay, joint biscuits, a new bottle of metacam…. But I went with “just” 10kg. The box is much bigger than the micro bale box. I presume it’s less compressed…
It's not a bigger box. False perspective when in my tiny porch 🤦

Box of hay don't sell pure Timothy hay 🤦. It's a blend of hays. In haybox the Timothy hay blend just means stalky and soft cut together but at box of hay it's a mixture of hay but with some Timothy. It's a shame because it's great hay. I will try Nancy with it at some point but can't risk it now.

So for now while Nancy is having problems I will have to continue to order from haybox. I'm definitely going to try this hay too though at some point. It looks great. Just a shame they don't do pure Timothy. I do think their meadow and Timothy is the same mind .

So for now while Nancy is having problems I will have to continue to order from haybox. I'm definitely going to try this hay too though at some point. It looks great. Just a shame they don't do pure Timothy. I do think their meadow and Timothy is the same mind .
I hope the meadow mix doesn’t contain soft timothy. Perry was getting soft poops from the Hay Box soft timothy. Wish companies were clearer!

I hope the meadow mix doesn’t contain soft timothy. Perry was getting soft poops from the Hay Box soft timothy. Wish companies were clearer!
It should be fine mixed with other hay I think. Soft cut I believe causes soft poos only when they eat too much and not combined with others. Mine have had soft poos from soft cut but then when they have more stalky hay too they were okay

Box of hay don't sell pure Timothy hay 🤦. It's a blend of hays. In haybox the Timothy hay blend just means stalky and soft cut together but at box of hay it's a mixture of hay but with some Timothy. It's a shame because it's great hay. I will try Nancy with it at some point but can't risk it now.

That’s a shame.

Their website calls them Timothy blend and soft Timothy blend. Both of those read to me as if it is just Timothy hay.

It should be fine mixed with other hay I think. Soft cut I believe causes soft poos only when they eat too much and not combined with others. Mine have had soft poos from soft cut but then when they have more stalky hay too they were okay
We gave the Hay Box soft timothy with two meadow hays but it still caused him problems - soft poops and weight gain :(

I’ve found a couple of soft poops recently so I really hope it’s not this new meadow hay :roll:

We gave the Hay Box soft timothy with two meadow hays but it still caused him problems - soft poops and weight gain :(

I’ve found a couple of soft poops recently so I really hope it’s not this new meadow hay :roll:
Oh no 😥. I was giving some stalky Timothy hay with soft cut. I found that it still caused soft poos. It had to be that they are more other hay than soft cut for mine

Oh no 😥. I was giving some stalky Timothy hay with soft cut. I found that it still caused soft poos. It had to be that they are more other hay than soft cut for mine
He does well on the Small Pet Select 2nd cut timothy. It’s not too stalky which he rejects, and it’s not soft enough to cause problems. He’s a pesky one :))

I’ve messaged Box Full Of Hay to ask about the meadow hay. Hopefully it doesn’t contain any soft timothy.

Received a reply from Box Full Of Hay and they said that the meadow mix does contain timothy hay. It will be softer or harder depending on the time of harvest but at the moment it’s soft timothy. No mention of this in the description.

I think you’re right @Lucy3733 that they’re the same. Sorry I told you about them and you’ve ended up with hays you can’t use.

Received a reply from Box Full Of Hay and they said that the meadow mix does contain timothy hay. It will be softer or harder depending on the time of harvest but at the moment it’s soft timothy. No mention of this in the description.

I think you’re right @Lucy3733 that they’re the same. Sorry I told you about them and you’ve ended up with hays you can’t use.

So their meadow mix contains Timothy and their Timothy contains meadow mix.

It's not your fault at all, no need to apologise! It looks like lovely hay, I'm saving it to try with Nancy some time but she's not doing well at the moment so I don't dare.

It's disappointing that they are the same I feel a duped.

I messaged back to ask if meadow generally always contains some timothy or whether they add it themselves because the description doesn’t say it contains timothy. Also asked roughly what percentage it contains and explained that some of us notice that it causes soft poops and would they consider making their description clearer. I’ll be interested in their response.

Before I saw the side by side pics I’d have thought maybe the meadow is mostly meadow with a small amount of timothy and vice versa for the timothy but now I’m not so sure.

They said that meadow hay will generally always contain some timothy so if it’s presumed then that makes sense why it wouldn’t be specifically mentioned I suppose. They didn’t give a percentage but said it is very low. The meadow has a very low amount of timothy. The timothy has a higher amount with some meadow added in. The only thing I didn’t like is that they said they “seriously doubt” that it would cause digestive issues. They’re probably right in most cases but some pets are extra sensitive so it would still be better to know exactly what a product contains. I said that on my reply. It’s really nice hay anyway so I’ll keep an eye on how Perry gets on with it then decide whether to continue buying :)

ETA - the latest reply was less polite in tone. Also mentioned another customer who wants the opposite @Lucy3733 !

They said that meadow hay will generally always contain some timothy so if it’s presumed then that makes sense why it wouldn’t be specifically mentioned I suppose. They didn’t give a percentage but said it is very low. The meadow has a very low amount of timothy. The timothy has a higher amount with some meadow added in. The only thing I didn’t like is that they said they “seriously doubt” that it would cause digestive issues. They’re probably right in most cases but some pets are extra sensitive so it would still be better to know exactly what a product contains. I said that on my reply. It’s really nice hay anyway so I’ll keep an eye on how Perry gets on with it then decide whether to continue buying :)

ETA - the latest reply was less polite in tone. Also mentioned another customer who wants the opposite @Lucy3733 !
They didn't seem to understand my concern regarding Nancy either. I think they just thought I was being fussy. But at least they did reply, some businesses don't. Both my meadow and Timothy hay look exactly the same.

They didn't seem to understand my concern regarding Nancy either. I think they just thought I was being fussy. But at least they did reply, some businesses don't. Both my meadow and Timothy hay look exactly the same.
I got that impression as well. Mentioning another customer sounded like they were saying they can’t please everyone. It felt like the last reply was from someone different from the first two which were more polite and professional.

My concern is what counts as a low amount? That could vary a lot.

I’ve emailed Hay Box as well because my subscription is saying free delivery so I want to make sure they won’t take more than is stated.

I’ve emailed Hay Box as well because my subscription is saying free delivery so I want to make sure they won’t take more than is stated.

If you haven't amended your subscription, from what HayBox have said you'll not be paying more. It's only if the order's been amended.

Back