Hay!

Piggies&buns

Staff member
Reaction score
I have just noticed that Haybox have yet again increased their threshold for free delivery - it’s now £35.00 meaning my four weekly subscription now doesn’t qualify. Trying to decide between increasing my subscription quantity while also decreasing the subscription frequency or just trying somewhere else.

Does anybody use The Happy Hay Co?
What are they like on delivery reliability etc?
I think their timothy is first cut, so I’m concerned about it being too stalky (my lot are a bit fussy about very stalky timothy, and they really like the haybox so I’m a bit on the fence about changing that!)
Id like to try them with their orchard hay though, does anybody use it?

Thanks for the heads up. I hadn’t noticed that.
When Boo came to live here she arrived with a fabulous box of hay from the Happy Hay co. It was amazing quality and they all loved it.

While I used Happy Hay they were always reliable. Their timothy is the stalky kind, but the orchard isn't so bad and the goblins still enjoyed it. Any problem I had with the delivery, like when they sent oat hay instead of orchard once, I had the replacement orchard box delivered the following day. I'd still be using them if they hadn't switched to using DPD as their courier.

I use Happy Hay and have no problems. They did send a box of Timothy by mistake once and so I got to keep that and they sent the meadow I ordered. The hay is hay 🤷 sometimes very green, other times less so depending on the season. We just use meadow for food and play and it always disappears.

No DPD problems but that can be very localised.

I’m annoyed about this. They’re getting greedy and not valuing customers if buying the highest subscription now doesn’t get you free delivery 😡

I'm annoyed too, also the fact they don’t tell you they’re doing it.
My order is going through so I cant do anything about it this month but this may end up being the last haybox order I have.
happy hay co orchard hay order on its way so we will see how my six get on with that. Still paying delivery with them but i don’t feel as cross about it

I'm annoyed too, also the fact they don’t tell you they’re doing it.
My order is going through so I cant do anything about it this month but this may end up being the last haybox order I have.
happy hay co orchard hay order on its way so we will see how my six get on with that. Still paying delivery with them but i don’t feel as cross about it
Last time they did this, people were unhappy that they didn’t know until the money had already been taken. The fact they’ve done it again this time just shows how little they value their customers. I really don’t like greedy companies. They need to be careful though because eventually people don’t like being made a mug of! 😡

Wow, sneaky isn't in it! When I read this I went through my account details with them, not a word about the increase, I had to scour the whole site to find it - in small print. I would have been totally caught out, for the second time, I am seriously not impressed that they have pulled the same trick again. What's the problem with just sending a circular email to subscribers?

The guineas already cost more than the dogs to feed! Thanks for the heads up!

I wonder when Haybox started it? I had my subscription processed and delivered last week and I still paid the same price and free delivery. I just contacted them and will wait for the response.

My concern with going to another hay company, apart from my piggies might not like it, is the box size. I don't mind paying the 2.5kgs boxes from Haybox because I know the boxes fit in where I store them. The 5kg boxes won't fit in my storage even though it's a bit cheaper. I'll have to see what Haybox would reply and have to think whether I have to change companies.

My concern with going to another hay company, apart from my piggies might not like it, is the box size. I don't mind paying the 2.5kgs boxes from Haybox because I know the boxes fit in where I store them. The 5kg boxes won't fit in my storage even though it's a bit cheaper. I'll have to see what Haybox would reply and have to think whether I have to change companies.

Might you be able to keep hold of the 2.5kg boxes you have, order 5kg boxes from elsewhere but then decant into the 2.5kg boxes?

Might you be able to keep hold of the 2.5kg boxes you have, order 5kg boxes from elsewhere but then decant into the 2.5kg boxes?
I can do that..but I just don't like the hassle, as with 2.5kg boxes, I just have to put it in the storage, open it and thats it. 😂 And then during the recycling collection, one of my neighbours get the empty box and use it for something (hubby says whoever the neighbour is might be using them as fire). I have to think about it. 😁

I can do that..but I just don't like the hassle, as with 2.5kg boxes, I just have to put it in the storage, open it and thats it. 😂 And then during the recycling collection, one of my neighbours get the empty box and use it for something (hubby says whoever the neighbour is might be using them as fire). I have to think about it. 😁

Yes, agreed it is a hassle!

Yes, agreed it is a hassle!
If only I can store them in the shed or greenhouse. But I tried that in the past (with another brand) and it became musty. So I decided to just store it in one of the cupboards here inside the house. And only the 2.5kg box would fit. 😑 I may have to measure again and see if a bigger box would fit.

I've cancelled my subscription. I had paused it before as I wasn't very happy with the quality of the hay, the boxes kept arriving split open and one time wet (looked like they'd been sat in a a puddle). Their customer service is not good. The boys really like the soft timothy though so I recently went back. The last hay we had smelt off and I threw a lot away. Was waiting until next weeks order to see if this years cut was better but have decided the postage charge and the sneaky way it has been imposed has driven me to look elsewhere again.

Just signed up with Little Hay Company, will let you know how we get on. It's more expensive and postage is £4.95 for 10kg but if they eat it without getting soft poop like we've been getting it will be worth it. The soft Timothy is very rich.

Okay, I just did measurements. One 5kg box would fit. But 2 of that would be quite a tight squeeze in the cupboard. So I might end up with just buying 1 5kg box and 2 2.5 kg boxes of meadow hay. It will fall around £33 but I can just add a bag of forage to make it to £35 and also extend the frequency to longer dates. A 2.5 kg box lasts around 2 weeks for my piggies and I usually order every 5 weeks. Might extend it every 7 weeks.

I'll try it in my next order and see how it goes.

Just signed up with Little Hay Company, will let you know how we get on. It's more expensive and postage is £4.95 for 10kg but if they eat it without getting soft poop like we've been getting it will be worth it. The soft Timothy is very rich.

The goblins had some of this! I didn't buy it, Wiebke had some when hers wouldn't eat it and knowing what the goblins are like about stalky hay I tried them with it and they adored it. DPD delivery is the only reason I never got more afterwards.

I got this response from Haybox..

Screenshot_20230806_170139_Messenger.jpg

But when I tried to edit my order, it does show that my current subscription showed that I need to pay for the new postage fee, hence I made changes. It didn't show though before I click edit. And I wasn't charged the postage fee on my order on Wednesday last week.

They need to make things much clearer.
The website says orders under £35 are charged but it doesn’t say anything about subscriptions not being charged. When i click on my subscription order, it showed £4.95 delivery as being applied.

They need to make things much clearer.
The website says orders under £35 are charged but it doesn’t say anything about subscriptions not being charged. When i click on my subscription order, it showed £4.95 delivery as being applied.
Yeah I told them the same thing. When I clicked edit on my subscription it then shows that the new postage will be applied. Hence I changed my product subscriptions. I'm currently waiting for another reply.

The other thing which has bugged me a bit is that they have started selling orchard hay. Orchard, however is not available on subscription. I messaged them and asked if they were going to put it on subscription. They said if it sells well then it will be available for subscription. I did reply and said to them that that isn’t helpful. Why would someone who has subscription have a subscription order go through, but then have to do a one off order to have a box of orchard hay (which would attract a delivery charge). We would want it on the subscription to be able to get it. Consequently I won’t buy it unless and until it was on subscription. If everybody thinks the same way, it’s not going to sell!

Ive just looked at a few previous orders where it would have fallen in the previous delivery threshold of £29. My subscription order came below at £27, and I have been charged for delivery. I didn’t notice.
So this order falls below £35. They are saying it won’t have postage applied because it doesn’t affect subscriptions…..

Actually Ive just realised it’s the 6th not 7th so the order won’t go through until tomorrow. I’m going to pause subscription….don’t trust it isn’t going to be charged delivery

Yeah I just changed mine. I'm buying 15kg (which I know is sent on 5kg boxes) plus one 2.5kg box. It would cost me so much less and I've put the subscription every 12 weeks (the most number of weeks in their option). I just have to do the hassle of transferring the hay to the 2.5 kg box. Also I probably have to change the dates of delivery coz based on how much the piggies use the hay, my new subscription will take around 13 to 14 weeks.

The other thing which has bugged me a bit is that they have started selling orchard hay. Orchard, however is not available on subscription. I messaged them and asked if they were going to put it on subscription. They said if it sells well then it will be available for subscription. I did reply and said to them that that isn’t helpful. Why would someone who has subscription have a subscription order go through, but then have to do a one off order to have a box of orchard hay (which would attract a delivery charge). We would want it on the subscription to be able to get it. Consequently I won’t buy it unless and until it was on subscription. If everybody thinks the same way, it’s not going to sell!
I was a bit miffed by that too.
Like you I just decided not to buy the orchard hay.
Seems daft not to allow it on subscription

Back