• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Flesh Eating infection? Would love comfort and advice.

I’m currently with the small pet vet in Lincoln who works at a lot of rescues so I do trust her input a lot. I’ve cried all day today haha so the well wishes mean a great deal. I am going to see how the antibiotics go and if I’m getting no where I will see Simon. It is more difficult because I don’t drive so I’ll have to be asking family for help wjth the trip and they are not too Keen (eg it’s just a Guinea pig…) so we will have to see what I can do.

I really don’t want to lose her and just want to keep her as happy as possible. I can’t remember the name of the cream I’m putting on her (menz something? I’ll check!) do you encourage that I keep putting that on twice a day or should I give her time without. I’m wondering if it is making her more uncomfortable as she screams when I put it on and tries to chew it when I put her back in her home.

Much love
I’ve looked and it’s called flamazine so I’m going to keep applying for now as it seems to do more good than harm. She hates me putting it on her but I’m trying to be brave with it 😭

My horse was prescribed Flamazine after some laser surgery to remove tumours left huge flesh exposed spots. It was brilliant for drying up and regenerating the exposed flesh (I think it’s used for burns in humans). The vet did say it could irritate to start with due to tender flesh and I appreciate it was a 650kg horse and not a Guinea pig‘s sensitive parts but I’d suggest ringing your vet if she is resisting to get reassurance. Thinking of you x

People travel much further. @Bill & Ted used to travel regularly to Simon, from Cornwall. Piggies travel really well.

If you ring at 8 am, they have emergency appointments for that day.
Please don’t worry about travelling far. We used to travel with Bill and Ted for dentals every 4-6 weeks, the journey was a 600 mile round trip and took a full days travel and both boys didn’t bat an eyelid and settled down, slept and ate well. I would definitely get your poor little lady to Simon as soon as possible. If anyone can help her he can. Wishing you both lots of luck x

Sorry for late input, just had a cataract operation so not been on the forum this week and been resting my eye

@Bill & Ted hope your eye is better!

My house bun Miley had flamazine for her sore hocks. It certainly didn't do her any harm so may be worth applying it still if it seems to be working 👍

Please don’t worry about travelling far. We used to travel with Bill and Ted for dentals every 4-6 weeks, the journey was a 600 mile round trip and took a full days travel and both boys didn’t bat an eyelid and settled down, slept and ate well. I would definitely get your poor little lady to Simon as soon as possible. If anyone can help her he can. Wishing you both lots of luck x

Sorry for late input, just had a cataract operation so not been on the forum this week and been resting my eye

I hope your eye is on the mend ❤️

I’ll see if I can thank you. It’s just a long way for them that worries me I wonder if they will be okay in the car for that long… I’ll hopefully start her on antibiotics tomorrow and then I’ll see about getting in with Simon in the week? Thank you so much for speaking with me it’s been very difficult on my own so it’s nice to have some advice

Hi

I have met people in the Cat&Rabbit's waiting room that were travelling regularly for 8 hours each way all the way from Edinburgh to Northampton with their dental piggy.

My furthest adoptees (an emergency from a domestic abuse situation in Jersey) travelled for several days in stages between volunteers, including a rather rough Channel ferry crossing. One of them was 9 years old but continued to live for several months more in a sanctuary in Liverpool.
My little Cornish family travelled all the way here when the first lot of babies were just 3 weeks old; they are all flourishing. Cerian and Breila made a 5 hours train journey with a mile long walk between London stations with me all the way from a rescue on the Eastern end of Kent. Cerian is going to hopefully celebrate her 5th adoption anniversary at the end of this month; she is a bit frail now at 6 years of age. :)
I have also travelled 6 1/2 hours by car with two piggies on daily meds for a week's holiday in Northwest Wales. The piggies did both recover normally nonetheless.

I hope that helps you. All the best for getting your piggy seen by Simon.

PS: Practical tips for car journeys in here: Travelling with guinea pigs

During lockdown I took my now Rainbow Piggy Shy Little Meg to Northampton to see Simon and Kim - a journey of 2hrs 40 mins each way - and she was fine in her carrier with lots of hay and some cucumber to nibble on. I did make sure the carrier was strapped in properly on the back seat with the seat belt as it was a long drive.

Hi all,

Yen started antibiotics yesterday. She absolutely hates it, it’s called Eradia and she’s on 0.13ml twice a day. She really puts up a fight which I’m trying to see as a good sign (she’s not on the way out, I hope)
Her wound isn’t looking better at all. I’m still give her metacam twice a day and flamazine. She screams everytime I try to touch her bum :(

I’m trying my best atm but it’s so hard and very very upsetting hurting her. I really don’t have a way to get to Northampton right now but I am trusting the small pet vet in Lincoln to offer equally as good care, surgery is defo an option with her if these antibiotics don’t work.

I’m just tired but remaining hopeful for now 💕 thank you everyone for being kind. I am going to continue to update here whatever happens so future pig parents can see our journey.
Love you all

good luck i hope you get your diagnosis to start the right treatment
I work at derm practice and if it was human skin culture would show whether if its a fungal vs bacterial infection
if bacteria is present what type and what is resistant to this bacteria even biopsy but again talking human type
really just wishing you the bestest of luck good vibes feel better little buddy

I've used this antibiotic, under it's other name, Metronidazole, for an abscess, with good results. We did give it in combination with Marbocyl. I am glad the vet will consider surgery, as I feel this is going to be needed.

Eradia is the first veterinary licensed liquid version of Metronidazole for dogs. It is normally given for gastrointestinal/bowel issues.

Hi all,

Yen started antibiotics yesterday. She absolutely hates it, it’s called Eradia and she’s on 0.13ml twice a day. She really puts up a fight which I’m trying to see as a good sign (she’s not on the way out, I hope)
Her wound isn’t looking better at all. I’m still give her metacam twice a day and flamazine. She screams everytime I try to touch her bum :(

I’m trying my best atm but it’s so hard and very very upsetting hurting her. I really don’t have a way to get to Northampton right now but I am trusting the small pet vet in Lincoln to offer equally as good care, surgery is defo an option with her if these antibiotics don’t work.

I’m just tired but remaining hopeful for now 💕 thank you everyone for being kind. I am going to continue to update here whatever happens so future pig parents can see our journey.
Love you all

I hope this antibiotic gets to work quickly and Yen feels better soon.

Bertie had Eradia as one his antibiotics for an ear infection. It’s like beef smelling gloop - he wasn’t too fond of it either. I found it easiest to give first and follow up with one of the better tasting ones like Metacam. Thinking of you and Yen x

I've used this antibiotic, under it's other name, Metronidazole, for an abscess, with good results. We did give it in combination with Marbocyl. I am glad the vet will consider surgery, as I feel this is going to be needed.

Eradia is the first veterinary licensed liquid version of Metronidazole for dogs. It is normally given for gastrointestinal/bowel issues.
Yes she said if this doesn’t work it will be surgery. I just feel like she’s going through so much atm but I’m praying we can help her heal

Bertie had Eradia as one his antibiotics for an ear infection. It’s like beef smelling gloop - he wasn’t too fond of it either. I found it easiest to give first and follow up with one of the better tasting ones like Metacam. Thinking of you and Yen x
It’s crazy because I do this exact trick normally and it’s great but she’s decided she now hates metacam too haha! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ so she has to be forced both now

It’s crazy because I do this exact trick normally and it’s great but she’s decided she now hates metacam too haha! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ so she has to be forced both now
I have always found that giving the metacam first works best. I think with some nasty tasting meds, if you give the metacam second they still have a nasty taste in their mouth from the first med, which just makes the metacam taste horrid too.

I have shown Simon the pic. He said it’s hard to tell without a hands on examination, but it does look like an infection in the anal sac. He said if that’s the case, the choice of antibiotics is good, as it targets the gastrointestinal tract and bowel.

I have always found that giving the metacam first works best. I think with some nasty tasting meds, if you give the metacam second they still have a nasty taste in their mouth from the first med, which just makes the metacam taste horrid too.
Oh good shout I think I’ll swap over from now on! That makes sense the metacam is probs just tasting disgusting too because of the after taste of the other one

I have shown Simon the pic. He said it’s hard to tell without a hands on examination, but it does look like an infection in the anal sac. He said if that’s the case, the choice of antibiotics is good, as it targets the gastrointestinal tract and bowel.
Oh that’s brilliant I can’t thank you enough for asking! That gives me a bit of hope…. Hope whatever you were there for with Simon went well! Thank you for your kindness x

Oh that’s brilliant I can’t thank you enough for asking! That gives me a bit of hope…. Hope whatever you were there for with Simon went well! Thank you for your kindness x
Sorry you and your piggy are going through this horrible situation. I do hope the antibiotics work, and work quickly. 🙏🤞
( I had Metronidazole for a piggy who had a gas filled tummy - probably due to yeast overgrowth- and it started improving within the week. )

Back