• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Flesh Eating infection? Would love comfort and advice.

Queenjellybeany

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
This is a continuation of my past thread My millionth post on URINE SCALD but I wanted this to be able to reach new people and I don't feel like it falls under the category of urine scald at all now lol. If you would like to see an image of the wound it is on the last page, but really shes missing flesh around her privates and its all overed in this strange yellow bile that I can't even wash away. It also smells like a rotten bin to put it lightly.

I have been working tirelessly to get my Yen any sort of help with a strange condition that raised its head about 5 months ago. It started as what I could only say is urine scald, where it seemed like she was getting a little lazy and sitting in her wee more. I was trying really hard to clean her daily and the areas around her, but no matter what I did it was the same.

I am now seeing my fourth vet who is a trained exotic vet who works for a variety of guinea pig rescues... even she was shocked by the state of poor Yen.
We had a swab sent to a lab and its looking like a flesh eating infection! To say I was horrified would be to put it minor.

Shes sending over some special antibiotics that I am praying will sort her out. She's also currently on metacam and some bum cream I've forgotten the name of.

I just wanted to write another post because I feel like there must be someone who has experienced what Yen has. I wish there was a way we could get more guinea pig knowledge and better care for pigs in 'normal' vets...

Thank you so much
- Ellie

Hi everyone!
This is a continuation of my past thread My millionth post on URINE SCALD but I wanted this to be able to reach new people and I don't feel like it falls under the category of urine scald at all now lol. If you would like to see an image of the wound it is on the last page, but really shes missing flesh around her privates and its all overed in this strange yellow bile that I can't even wash away. It also smells like a rotten bin to put it lightly.

I have been working tirelessly to get my Yen any sort of help with a strange condition that raised its head about 5 months ago. It started as what I could only say is urine scald, where it seemed like she was getting a little lazy and sitting in her wee more. I was trying really hard to clean her daily and the areas around her, but no matter what I did it was the same.

I am now seeing my fourth vet who is a trained exotic vet who works for a variety of guinea pig rescues... even she was shocked by the state of poor Yen.
We had a swab sent to a lab and its looking like a flesh eating infection! To say I was horrified would be to put it minor.

Shes sending over some special antibiotics that I am praying will sort her out. She's also currently on metacam and some bum cream I've forgotten the name of.

I just wanted to write another post because I feel like there must be someone who has experienced what Yen has. I wish there was a way we could get more guinea pig knowledge and better care for pigs in 'normal' vets...

Thank you so much
- Ellie

Hi

HUGS

I am very sorry for your odyssey. To be honest, I have never heard of this in guinea pigs before so I cannot contribute. What poor Yen has got is extremely rare at the best and the reason why so many vets have struggled.

Fingers crossed that he has finally got the meds that help.

Thank you so much everyone having your support really means a lot to me as I’m so tired and anxious for her all the time atm. I am still currently waiting for the antibiotics I’m praying they come tomorrow. Her butt looks so full of gunk I don’t really even know what’s what, it’s so hard to tell. I’ve avoided giving her butt baths because I’m scared it’s making her worse, but I have gently dapped her privates with tissue and the past two days I’ve very very gently tweezed some strange lumps out.

I’m not sure what it is, rotten flesh or poo or wee or a mixture of all three? It was half sticking out so I just gently pulled it and it came out really easy and she didn’t seem to notice. I’m hoping removing this debris will also help but I’m scared of doing something wrong and making it worse? I’d like to know what you guys think of it! It also absolutely reeks of what I can only describe as rotting flesh.
Thank you so much

Attachments

• IMG_3995.webp
    IMG_3995.webp
    30 KB · Views: 19
Which antibiotic are they getting for her? I’ve taken a look at the pic and it looks really nasty. How long has it been like this for? Does she seem unwell? xx
Hiya, no in herself she’s totally fine! Eating drinking playing etc, she’s always been a bit on the lazy side however. It’s been like this for a few months I would say it started off with her lieing in her urine all the time and the vets giving me a cream and then some antibiotics because it wasn’t getting better. I’m not sure of the name of the antibiotic but I’ll be sure to pop it in here for reference when it arrives I’ve attached the message my exotic vet left me if that helps at all!

Attachments

• IMG_3996.webp
    IMG_3996.webp
    57.1 KB · Views: 13
Hiya, no in herself she’s totally fine! Eating drinking playing etc, she’s always been a bit on the lazy side however. It’s been like this for a few months I would say it started off with her lieing in her urine all the time and the vets giving me a cream and then some antibiotics because it wasn’t getting better. I’m not sure of the name of the antibiotic but I’ll be sure to pop it in here for reference when it arrives I’ve attached the message my exotic vet left me if that helps at all!
But after a while it started to seemingly rot? It just got more smelly even though I was constantly keeping her clean and her area clean it wasn’t doing enough. Now it’s like the flesh has come away completely and it’s absolutely horrible.

It does look like necrotic tissue. I wonder if it could all be surgically removed? I’ll show the pic to my vet, Simon Maddock, when I see him next Wednesday and ask if he’s ever seen anything like it before xx
That would mean so much to me honestly. Is this Simon of cat and rabbit clinic by chance? He actually did surgery on this pig over a year ago, he’s brilliant but I moved away so I live around 2 hours away now which is a huge shame :,(

GRAPHIC IMAGE SORRY

Hello everyone I thought I’d upload another image. It’s so sore and she’s lost so much hair. I’m really really really upset I’m actually crying as typing and I just don’t know what to do anymore waiting for these antibiotics is killing me I'm trying so hard but I feel like all I’m doing is waiting. I tried to clean the wet poo off but even the slightest touch of tissue and she screams

Attachments

• IMG_4005.webp
    IMG_4005.webp
    98.6 KB · Views: 15
Having another look at this, is this more around the grease gland area than the genitalia?
I’m really not sure anymore it seems like it’s all where the anus is? It’s really hard to tell. I can take another image tomorrow but I’ve already had her out and gave her a clean so she just about hates me at the moment. Her grease gland constantly feels wet I can say that for sure? It’s really hard for me to tell what’s what

Is there any way you could get her to Simon? I really think he could sort it.
I’ll see if I can thank you. It’s just a long way for them that worries me I wonder if they will be okay in the car for that long… I’ll hopefully start her on antibiotics tomorrow and then I’ll see about getting in with Simon in the week? Thank you so much for speaking with me it’s been very difficult on my own so it’s nice to have some advice

People travel much further. @Bill & Ted used to travel regularly to Simon, from Cornwall. Piggies travel really well.

If you ring at 8 am, they have emergency appointments for that day.
Oooh that’s interesting I always panic they’ll become more sick if I do that or if it will stress them out.
Thank you so much.

Lots of Simon and Kim’s clients travel many hours to get there. I was talking to a lady last week, who had come from Harrogate. She said it was a 6 hour round trip but well worth it.
Okay, do you think if I ring tomorrow I’ll get an appointment with Simon ? I remember he worked specific days when I saw him before but I can’t remember what those were 🤦‍♀️ I’ll ring tomorrow

Okay, do you think if I ring tomorrow I’ll get an appointment with Simon ? I remember he worked specific days when I saw him before but I can’t remember what those were 🤦‍♀️ I’ll ring tomorrow
He’s not in tomorrow. He’ll be in on Monday though x

Oooh that’s interesting I always panic they’ll become more sick if I do that or if it will stress them out.
Thank you so much.
I’ve taken Pepper to see Simon before. It was a 2 hour drive there and another two back. Pepper was absolutely fine with the journey. Good luck I hope you can get some answers soon and your piggy is soon on the mend.

I’m currently with the small pet vet in Lincoln who works at a lot of rescues so I do trust her input a lot. I’ve cried all day today haha so the well wishes mean a great deal. I am going to see how the antibiotics go and if I’m getting no where I will see Simon. It is more difficult because I don’t drive so I’ll have to be asking family for help wjth the trip and they are not too Keen (eg it’s just a Guinea pig…) so we will have to see what I can do.

I really don’t want to lose her and just want to keep her as happy as possible. I can’t remember the name of the cream I’m putting on her (menz something? I’ll check!) do you encourage that I keep putting that on twice a day or should I give her time without. I’m wondering if it is making her more uncomfortable as she screams when I put it on and tries to chew it when I put her back in her home.

Much love

Back