• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Edward: dental problems

My Bill had a fat tooth which developed from a broken incisor. The broken tooth seemed to weaken all four incisors and he had regular burrs with Simon at the C&R Clinic. He never ever had any problems eating anything and Simon always checked his back teeth and said they were absolutely perfect. He always laughed and said Bill and Ted between them can make one perfect set of teeth!

Muffin had the same problem and he lived quite well with it most of the time. The big tooth had be shortened every two to five weeks. With a little help eating veggies and metacam he kept his weight pretty good.
I hope Edward will cope as well!
My Bill had a fat tooth which developed from a broken incisor. The broken tooth seemed to weaken all four incisors and he had regular burrs with Simon at the C&R Clinic. He never ever had any problems eating anything and Simon always checked his back teeth and said they were absolutely perfect. He always laughed and said Bill and Ted between them can make one perfect set of teeth!
Thank you. The tooth that is growing back thick is the tooth next to the one that broke so I'm not sure whether this is a coinidence or due to the brokon incisor but that's for Simon to decide I guess

I have spent the day ringing up local vets to see if any can file down the fat tooth without sedation as going to Simon every few weeks just isn't feesable as I'm currently not allowed to drive :(

Deep down, I am hoping that once the abscess has gone, things will return to normal but I won't know that for at least another couple of weeks. Thank you again to Wiebke for having my piggies for an extended holiday until Edward is well again

Did you manage to find a vet that can file (or burr) incisors down without sedation for you? It should be straightforward, my vets all do it - though the more experienced ones can do it without the discomfort afterwards that both Squeaks and Edward experienced recently x

Did you manage to find a vet that can file (or burr) incisors down without sedation for you? It should be straightforward, my vets all do it - though the more experienced ones can do it without the discomfort afterwards that both Squeaks and Edward experienced recently x

No I haven’t and this is why I’m so worried :(

Thank you. The tooth that is growing back thick is the tooth next to the one that broke so I'm not sure whether this is a coinidence or due to the brokon incisor but that's for Simon to decide I guess

I have spent the day ringing up local vets to see if any can file down the fat tooth without sedation as going to Simon every few weeks just isn't feesable as I'm currently not allowed to drive :(

Deep down, I am hoping that once the abscess has gone, things will return to normal but I won't know that for at least another couple of weeks. Thank you again to Wiebke for having my piggies for an extended holiday until Edward is well again
Can hubby drive, Simon used to work on a Saturday? I would very much doubt he will need it burring/filing every 2 weeks. Bill used to have all four of his done every 5-6 weeks when Ted had his spur filed

Can hubby drive, Simon used to work on a Saturday? I would very much doubt he will need it burring/filing every 2 weeks. Bill used to have all four of his done every 5-6 weeks when Ted had his spur filed

Sadly not as it’s a 8-10 hour mile round trip and he just won’t do it. I really don’t know what to do :(

Have you thought of seeing Molly Varga at Rutland House in St Helens, Claire?
She really is a superb rabbit and guinea pig expert vet, all the local piggy vets near us have trained with her and refer tricky cases to her- if you arent confident with your own vet it's worth thinking about, I think St Helens is probably only about an hour's drive from you?

Have you thought of seeing Molly Varga at Rutland House in St Helens, Claire?
She really is a superb rabbit and guinea pig expert vet, all the local piggy vets near us have trained with her and refer tricky cases to her- if you arent confident with your own vet it's worth thinking about, I think St Helens is probably only about an hour's drive from you?

Thank you. Would she do a conscious filing of the tooth do you know and would I need a referral? St Helen’s is only an hour away which is more doable

I phoned the other local vet I have registered them with and she said they would try and do it conscious but I’m not sure how good they are where as my own vet said they’d only do it sedated.

I’m trying not to panic and am hoping the Zithromax and pain killers work. I guess all I can do is wait and see what happens at his next appointment

Are the local vets getting confused and thinking you're asking about filing the molars without sedation? My vets don't do that, but burring the incisors is a there and then procedure, no problem.

Are the local vets getting confused and thinking you're asking about filing the molars without sedation? My vets don't do that, but burring the incisors is a there and then procedure, no problem.
Oh I'm not sure. Is filing and burring not the same thing? I'll have to ask again and this time ask if they do burring conscious. The recpetionist at the other local vet was lovely and said that once I get Edward back to book him an appointment and they'll take a look but she asked a vet who said they do try and do it conscious. I just don't want him to get hurt

Oh I'm not sure. Is filing and burring not the same thing? I'll have to ask again and this time ask if they do burring conscious. The recpetionist at the other local vet was lovely and said that once I get Edward back to book him an appointment and they'll take a look but she asked a vet who said they do try and do it conscious. I just don't want him to get hurt

It is, but it might be the wrong teeth that the vet is thinking about.

Thank you. Would she do a conscious filing of the tooth do you know and would I need a referral? St Helen’s is only an hour away which is more doable

I phoned the other local vet I have registered them with and she said they would try and do it conscious but I’m not sure how good they are where as my own vet said they’d only do it sedated.

I’m trying not to panic and am hoping the Zithromax and pain killers work. I guess all I can do is wait and see what happens at his next appointment
What about Ellie The Guinea Pig Vet she’s definitely does conscious dentals, she’s in Matlock Derbyshire
Recommended Guinea Pig Vet | The Guinea Pig Vet | England

Simon doesn’t do conscious burring of the molars, only the incisors. He files the molars! You need to ask if they’re able to do conscious burring of the incisors. Whatever you do, do not let anyone clip them.

Yes, the vet clipped his teeth before and I won’t let anyone do that again!

I’m going to specifically ask if they do burring

Hope Edward is feeling better. I'm sure he is enjoying his little holiday with Wiebke.

I am currently understanding how Edward is feeling, as I too have an abscess under one of my teeth and am having to take antibiotics. I'm considering asking Simon if he would take a look at my teeth as I can't get a follow-up appointment with my dentist for a month.😂

Hope Edward is feeling better. I'm sure he is enjoying his little holiday with Wiebke.

I am currently understanding how Edward is feeling, as I too have an abscess under one of my teeth and am having to take antibiotics. I'm considering asking Simon if he would take a look at my teeth as I can't get a follow-up appointment with my dentist for a month.😂
Not laughing at your painful abscess, or the length of wait - I hope the antibiotics work quickly for you and reduce the pain.

Oh no :( I had abscess a couple of years ago so I feel for you. I hope you feel better soon x

I have been busy contacting vets to see if they will burr / file an incisor without sedation just in case Edward does need it doing. So far it isn’t going well :( but I have them registered with two more vets (the one that’s about 4 miles away and Rutland house in Saint Helens). The local vets have said they’d be happy with prescribe him dog metacam for his arthritis which is good. Both have said they will need to examine Edward to see whether they can do it conscious but at least it isn’t a flat out no.

I contacted Ashleigh vets who will only do it under sedation and they’re not currently taking on new clients

So sorry you can’t get a sooner appt, I think Simon would do a sterling job on anyones teeth 😆 I’d trust him!

My generalist practice has a few vets who do a conscious burr and it literally takes a few minutes - they said they need someone to secure piggy firmly and a vet who can handle tiny power tools. Even if they're taken too short they grow back pretty fast. When vet Helen said she would take a couple of mm off one of Zara's lower incisors she did exactly that. I can understand not everyone does it but I wouldn't have a piggy put under for something 'minor' - there will be someone somewhere near you who is competent.

My generalist practice has a few vets who do a conscious burr and it literally takes a few minutes - they said they need someone to secure piggy firmly and a vet who can handle tiny power tools. Even if they're taken too short they grow back pretty fast. When vet Helen said she would take a couple of mm off one of Zara's lower incisors she did exactly that. I can understand not everyone does it but I wouldn't have a piggy put under for something 'minor' - there will be someone somewhere near you who is competent.

Thank you. That gives me a bit of hope. I have emailed some more vets today so hopefully I’ll find one. I’ve even tried the vets that are on the vet locator and even they would only do it with him being sedated :(

I have had some replies from local vets. One has an exotic vet who may be able to do the procedure but she's on annual leave at the minute so they can't check with her. All the vets I have contacted have said they'll need to see Edward first until they can tell me for sure which is fair enough but I am feeling a little more positive. Looks like I'd better top up my vet fund as I still have his Northamton visits coming up! :P

Back