• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Edward: dental problems

Sending a lorry load of healing vibes for poor Edward and hugs for you. He's in the best hands and Wiebke is doing a sterling job, but it must be difficult being so far away from your boy.

Oh no. So so sorry to hear this Claire. The boys and I are sending lots of love.
As others have said, he’s in the best of hands. Thinking of you all 💕

Sending big hugs to you and healing vibes to little Edward, come on little man hang in there x

Sorry to hear this, I know how much you love him and they do worry us so much when they’re ill don’t they. It’s good he’s getting the very best care possible. Take care and fingers crossed lovely Edward improves soon.

I am heartbroken to announce that Edward was sadly helped across the rainbow bridge earlier today as an emergency. I can’t thank Wiebke’s vet enough for squeezing him in to spare him any suffering 😞Wiebke tried her very best and is in no doubt exhausted but he just had too many things going on and lost the ability to swallow. Deep down, I didn’t expect him to come home from his next appointment with Kim on the 30th August but I had a tiny bit of hope 😞

I shall write him a tribute when I feel ready but I shall be taking a break from the forum for a short while as I can’t deal with it right now x

I’m so sorry to hear that @Claire W try and take comfort from the fact that you did what you had to for him. All the best and take care of yourself 💕

Oh I’m so gutted for you and for all involved. You did everything you could to give him the best possible chance and he had so much expertise, love and care on his side. You must be heartbroken. Take good care of yourself, grief is so hard.

I’m so sorry to hear this Claire. Take time to grieve. So sad. Come back when you are ready. Sending you a hug 🤗

Oh Claire I am so sorry that you lost little Edward, he was such a lovely boy. Take heart that you gave him a happy life with his little wifelets and you cared for him so well, he will have known just how much you loved him :hug:

So sorry Claire.
You gave Edward the best possible life and he will leave a huge hole in your heart.
Take all the time you need to process the grief but don’t forget that grief takes time.
Holding you in my heart ♥️

Unfortunately, at coming up to 7 years of age Edward had some other age related underlying issues that have come very much to the fore and have increasingly pinged off each other, causing a rat tail of secondary complications in addition to his painful lower jaw. Two major heat events in just one month have also played their role in unhinging an already precarious balance; despite my best efforts to keep temperatures as low and stable in the piggy room as possible.
As with many older frail piggies (and also people), once a key card is pulled the whole tower comes crashing down and the faster metabolism that guinea pigs have is turning against them. :(

Kim Maddock was sadly not able to file back Edward's thickened and still very sore tooth a third time on my latest trip to the Cat&Rabbit last week (yet another emergency appointment) as he started twitching badly during the procedure. We have tried to throw the kitchen sink at him in terms of care support and totally maxing out on his painkillers in a last ditch effort. Sadly, despite our best efforts to stabilise him again his deterioration has instead sped up over the last few days. :(

Thankfully, my local general vet clinic have been very kind to fit Edward into their lunchbreak today in order to spare him any further suffering once it became obvious that his passing was not going to be a peaceful one and that he was in major discomfort by late morning.
Claire had given me - as always - her written owner's statement enabling me to make any necessary decisions on her behalf re. her piggies' medical care (explicitly including end of life decisions) as recommended by the treating vet in her absence. It was absolutely crucial for me today to have this piece of paper; it's also helped me with representing Claire at the Cat&Rabbit Care Clinic while she was out of reach.

I am of course totally gutted that things have taken a turn for the worst after an initially promising start. The last three weeks with Edward have been a proper nightmare for me.

Edward was a lovely natured, gentle boy who I will miss very much after having had him coming here for his annual summer holiday with his various wives since he was a teenage boy who had a great time doing all the 'boarly' measuring up stuff with my same aged Gethin for a neighbouring husboar back in 2016.

Back