• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Edward: dental problems

Just to say that Claire's parents and I have arranged that her piggies are travelling here on Thursday (a couple of weeks earlier than planned for their usual summer holiday boarding), so I can take over Edward's care and any necessary trips to the C&R from there.
He has been coming here since 2016, so he is familiar with the me and the surroundings.
I really can't thank you enough. It will be such a relief to know he's in good hands and with someone who knows what they re doing. I really am out of my depth. You will have to excuse Edward, he's in a bit of a mess but I don't want to bathe him while he's not himself. He's already grumpy with me x

I really can't thank you enough. It will be such a relief to know he's in good hands and with someone who knows what they re doing. I really am out of my depth. You will have to excuse Edward, he's in a bit of a mess but I don't want to bathe him while he's not himself. He's already grumpy with me x

I've had much messier piggies...

Claire has already seen the video because it is also incorporated (together with more vidoes and pictures of uncooperative piggies) in our new updated comprehensive medicating and syringe feeding guide. She has had the link for several days with the specific task of watching the videos and pictures. ;)

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
I don’t think my syringe feeding video is included in the guide. I’m pretty sure it’s my medicating video. The syringe feeding video is here Today's instructional video on our Facebook page - Syringe feeding

Last edited:
Sorry that Edward is feeling poorly. Sending healing thoughts and i hope he starts to feel better soon. xx

Claire you are doing really well, I never got more than 10 ml into Ted ever at one time x

Edward has just seen the vet. His belly is more full of poo than yesterday and he’s gained a little weight. Vet was overall pleased with him and told me to carry on syringe feeding him and to take him back in a few days. Of course, I had to say that he’s off to Coventry tomorrow and seeing a vet there! Why do I feel so guilty?!

Anyway, he left these poos in the carrier. Still mushy and miss shapened but a whole lot better than yesterday

7399222E-30A6-4080-9A0C-38072A44C622.webp

I will add it to the guide
EDIT I have insufficient privileges but will get this sorted...

I'll get it sorted when I finally have time. It's been rather hectic here getting everything ready for four more piggies and catching up with my own late cage clean due to me not being all that well over the weekend.

PS: I did include the link to the new syringe feeding guide at the time, @furryfriends (TEAS), as I always do with thrid party content in one of my guides.

Edward and his three ladies have safely arrived in Coventry. Edward has just methodically worked his way through a couple of handfuls of soft grass under his own steam; so no problem with picking up food.

He doesn't feel skinny (good job, Claire) and there doesn't seem to be a major problem with his back teeth, either, watching him chomping away at the grass slowly but happily.

He does however seem to have a painful incisor (as indicated by the slant, the preference for soft foods and by the slow eating) but there has been no sign of any flinching or swelling yet when I felt his jaws. So for the moment, it is very much a game of wait and see.

DSCN4518_edited-1.jpg

Edward and his three ladies have safely arrived in Coventry. Edward has just methodically worked his way through a couple of handfuls of soft grass under his own steam; so no problem with picking up food.

He doesn't feel skinny (good job, Claire) and there doesn't seem to be a major problem with his back teeth, either, watching him chomping away at the grass slowly but happily.

He does however seem to have a painful incisor (as indicated by the slant, the preference for soft foods and by the slow eating) but there has been no sign of any flinching or swelling yet when I felt his jaws. So for the moment, it is very much a game of wait and see.

View attachment 206803

It’s sounds very similar to my Pepper. Chewing slowly, weight loss, eating soft food and slanted front teeth. He was on AB for two weeks before a lump appeared.

Good luck Edward. ❤️

View attachment 206803

I’m so glad you don’t think that he has an issue with his jaw or back teeth and I’m glad he doesn’t feel skinny as I was worried about that. I’m so worried about what Simon will find and my mind is in overdrive😞

So glad he’s eating grass. Your grass looks thicker strands than mine so that might be why he couldn’t manage it.

All the best for Pepper @weepweeps It does sound very similar x

I’m so glad you don’t think that he has an issue with his jaw or back teeth and I’m glad he doesn’t feel skinny as I was worried about that. I’m so worried about what Simon will find and my mind is in overdrive😞

So glad he’s eating grass. Your grass looks thicker strands than mine so that might be why he couldn’t manage it.

All the best for Pepper @weepweeps It does sound very similar x

Please take a deep breath. Simon won't find any horrors. Edward has got one bad tooth and that will be dealt with. ;)

Back