• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Edward: dental problems

Oh I'm not sure. Is filing and burring not the same thing? I'll have to ask again and this time ask if they do burring conscious. The recpetionist at the other local vet was lovely and said that once I get Edward back to book him an appointment and they'll take a look but she asked a vet who said they do try and do it conscious. I just don't want him to get hurt

Filing and burring is not the same.

Filing and burring is not the same.
I have 3 potentail vets who have said they all want to see him for an examination before giving a definate answer so I guess it's up to the vet to decide whether they can file or burr? I generally thought it was the same thing :( but I'm hoping the vets will be able to do one or the other conscious but I know it's for Simon to decide if Edward needs ongoing treatment and what that ongoing treatment should be. I have explained to the vets that it won't be for some time until I can take him for an examination as he's staying with you until he's right. I'm trying not to worry much at this stage

Filing the incisor is done by using tiny dental files. My Bill had this done locally a couple of times when Simon was on holiday. It’s not as effective but quite useful if the tooth becomes very sharp and digging into the opposing gum line
Burring is done using a dental burr (like an electric Dremal tool) it’s more powerful but very quick
See what Simon has to say x

Ideally the incisors need to be burred. I've been thinking, if Edward only needs this doing very occasionally, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have this done by a vet who prefers to use sedation, as long as they are experienced with guinea pigs. He would only need a very small amount of gas, so the risk would be minimal.

Filing the incisor is done by using tiny dental files. My Bill had this done locally a couple of times when Simon was on holiday. It’s not as effective but quite useful if the tooth becomes very sharp and digging into the opposing gum line
Burring is done using a dental burr (like an electric Dremal tool) it’s more powerful but very quick
See what Simon has to say x
Ideally the incisors need to be burred. I've been thinking, if Edward only needs this doing very occasionally, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have this done by a vet who prefers to use sedation, as long as they are experienced with guinea pigs. He would only need a very small amount of gas, so the risk would be minimal.

Thank you both. I will push for burring then if it comes to it. I can cope with just a whiff of gas, I just don’t want him having a full GA. Was Bill sedated @Bill & Ted?

If he does need it doing, I’m worried he’s going to need it doing every few weeks or something.

I’m not sure how good the vets are with guinea pigs but they all say they have an exotic vet and two are on our vet locator (Rutland House and Cheshire pets) although they’re both over and hour away so I’ve been trying to find somewhere closer as I have to rely on my dad to drive me there.

If all else fails, there’s Ellie Whitehead (the guinea pig vet) in Matlock but I want to leave that as a last resort as it’s still s 4 hour round trip for my poor dad. I hate having to rely on other people :(

But for now, I’m trying not to worry until he sees Simon again x

Edward has been back to the vets today. The abscess has thankfully nearly gone so he’s off the Zithromax and tramodol but he’s to stay on the loxicom. He’s got mild bloat from the Zithromax so has emeprid. His teeth are still rather sore so Kim has filed his incisors back so they’re not touching. He has another appointment in 4 weeks time so him and my girls will be staying with Wiebke until then at least. Please keep those fingers crossed that his teeth right themselves so he won’t need regular filing or burring

Thank you both. I will push for burring then if it comes to it. I can cope with just a whiff of gas, I just don’t want him having a full GA. Was Bill sedated @Bill & Ted?

If he does need it doing, I’m worried he’s going to need it doing every few weeks or something.

I’m not sure how good the vets are with guinea pigs but they all say they have an exotic vet and two are on our vet locator (Rutland House and Cheshire pets) although they’re both over and hour away so I’ve been trying to find somewhere closer as I have to rely on my dad to drive me there.

If all else fails, there’s Ellie Whitehead (the guinea pig vet) in Matlock but I want to leave that as a last resort as it’s still s 4 hour round trip for my poor dad. I hate having to rely on other people :(

But for now, I’m trying not to worry until he sees Simon again x
No he always had it done consciously by Simon or Kim, I prefer that as they don’t have side effects of GA to cope with

Great news for Edward. Pepper will finish his Zithromax on Sunday. He will have been on it for 3.5 weeks. It’s been so tiring these last couple of weeks nursing a sick piggy that doesn’t really want to eat. I’m glad Edward has been sorted relatively quickly. 😃

No he always had it done consciously by Simon or Kim, I prefer that as they don’t have side effects of GA to cope with

I’m hoping that a vet at home will be able to do it consciously. I don’t mind a whiff of gas every now and then but I’d rather him not have a full GA x

Great news for Edward. Pepper will finish his Zithromax on Sunday. He will have been on it for 3.5 weeks. It’s been so tiring these last couple of weeks nursing a sick piggy that doesn’t really want to eat. I’m glad Edward has been sorted relatively quickly. 😃

The Zithromax killed Edwards appetite too so Wiebke has been syringe feeding him but I’m hoping that will stop once the antibiotics are out of his system. Hopefully it will be the same for the lovely Pepper x

The Zithromax killed Edwards appetite too so Wiebke has been syringe feeding him but I’m hoping that will stop once the antibiotics are out of his system. Hopefully it will be the same for the lovely Pepper x

I really, really hope so. He’s off to my friend a week Saturday as I go away to the Isles of Scilly. I hope for him to be not on meds and eating better by next weekend. 🤞

Just to make one point clear. There is no abscess and there was no abscess; there was only the possibility of one in case the zithromax didn't work. The infection is pretty much gone now but there is still some amount of inflammation and soreness in the jaw in both lower incisors from the pressure from the upper incisors, so Kim has taken back all four incisors (similar to Claire's first vets have done) to give the front of the mouth time to settle down - but this time with the infection in the tissue around the teeth gone.

Edward has some upset in the gut microbiome from the zithromax but it hasn't knocked it out completely.

Just to make one point clear. There is no abscess and there was no abscess; there was only the possibility of one in case the zithromax didn't work. The infection is pretty much gone now but there is still some amount of inflammation and soreness in the jaw in both lower incisors from the pressure from the upper incisors, so Kim has taken back all four incisors (similar to Claire's first vets have done) to give the front of the mouth time to settle down - but this time with the infection in the tissue around the teeth gone.

Edward has some upset in the gut microbiome from the zithromax but it hasn't knocked it out completely.

Sorry, I thought the infection meant he had a very small abscess. I miss understood. Any how, I’m still glad the infection has nearly gone and that it didn’t develop in to an abscess I’m glad his appetite wasn’t wiped out completely x

That’s great news Claire. Pepper is still not eating great either. We are topping him up 3 times a day still. I hope you get your piggies back soon.

That’s great news Claire. Pepper is still not eating great either. We are topping him up 3 times a day still. I hope you get your piggies back soon.
Sorry Peppers still not eating great either. Edwards next appointment was on the 25th August but it’s been put back to 30th now as Simon and Kim are on holiday the week of the 25th

Just thought I would do a quick update. Edward's teeth are growing slanted again so it looks like he'll need another dental. His arthritis is also quite bad which is being impacted by his poorly tooth and the heat :( Wiebke is still having to syringe feed him 3-4 times a day as he still has a bit of an iffy tummy from the Zithromax

Just thought I would do a quick update. Edward's teeth are growing slanted again so it looks like he'll need another dental. His arthritis is also quite bad which is being impacted by his poorly tooth and the heat :( Wiebke is still having to syringe feed him 3-4 times a day as he still has a bit of an iffy tummy from the Zithromax
I’m so sorry Edward still needs some extra help and another dental. I really hope he’s soon on the mend. 🤞

Sorry to hear this Claire. Sending lots of healing thoughts for your poorly boy. ❤️

I’m sorry to hear this Claire. I hope Simon can work his magic and Edward can come home soon. Sending healing vibes his way. ❤️

So sorry to hear about Edward. Sending massive healing vibes and hugs
He is in the best hands with Simon and Aunty Wiebke.xx

Back