• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Edward: dental problems

I'm so sorry you're going through this too @Claire W 😪 :hug:
I'm in the same boat, Squeaks' incisors were cut too short last Saturday. He looked very sorry for himself for the better part of a day, and didn't even come out of his fleecy tunnel at veg time.
I found that coriander stalk first goes down well, and any other leaves stalk first as well. I put soft grass in a vertical pile against the side of his cuddle cup or hay pile so he can pull it in easily, and the matchstick veg in an egg cup ditto.

This is how short Squeaks' teeth were burred:
20220703_153056.webp
😪😠

I'm so sorry you're going through this too @Claire W 😪 :hug:
I'm in the same boat, Squeaks' incisors were cut too short last Saturday. He looked very sorry for himself for the better part of a day, and didn't even come out of his fleecy tunnel at veg time.
I found that coriander stalk first goes down well, and any other leaves stalk first as well. I put soft grass in a vertical pile against the side of his cuddle cup or hay pile so he can pull it in easily, and the matchstick veg in an egg cup ditto.

This is how short Squeaks' teeth were burred:
View attachment 206618
😪😠

Thank you for your reply. I’m so sorry that Squeaks is struggling too. Edwards incisors are shorter than that :( thankfully, she didn’t touch the top apart from to even them up. It’s all such a worry isn’t it :( I’ll go and get him some coriander. At this stage, I just need him to eat. Anything will do. Our poor boys :( x

So sorry for you both, sending healing vibes to all piggies with their wrongly cut teeth and hoping they grown very quickly x
Claire his poos will change, it’s likely the lack of hay in his diet, don’t worry about that for now just concentrate on him eating

I managed to get through to cat and rabbit. Thankfully I didn’t need a referral and they’ve registered me. Earliest appointment they had was 18th July but it’s better than nothing. She just said they’ll get his medical history from my vets. Just hope @Wiebke can take him for me as my piggies will be staying with her for their summer holiday. Got him booked in at my vets at 2.40 today

I managed to get through to cat and rabbit. Thankfully I didn’t need a referral and they’ve registered me. Earliest appointment they had was 18th July but it’s better than nothing. She just said they’ll get his medical history from my vets. Just hope @Wiebke can take him for me as my piggies will be staying with her for their summer holiday. Got him booked in at my vets at 2.40 today
Aw that’s good news, now just relax and try and get some sleep 💤 for a few hours :hug:I would let your vet do anything else with him apart prescribe some metacam for him

Aw that’s good news, now just relax and try and get some sleep 💤 for a few hours :hug:I would let your vet do anything else with him apart prescribe some metacam for him

Thank you. Yes, I’m just going to ask for some gut stimulants fibreplex and metacam. I’m not letting them touch his teeth again!

Just tried him with some matchstick cut veg and he’s eating it! Thank you for the tip @VickiA and @weepweeps

View attachment 206617
The matchstick sized strips make it so much easier for them to get food onto the back teeth and then they can eat normally again. I’m sure he’s enjoying them. With a bit of practice you can cut almost any veg into the right sized strips!

The matchstick sized strips make it so much easier for them to get food onto the back teeth and then they can eat normally again. I’m sure he’s enjoying them. With a bit of practice you can cut almost any veg into the right sized strips!

Thank you. He had cucumber pepper green beans dandelion leaves and coriander so at least he’s had something

Would also like to apologise for my stressy replies early this morning. I just feel so stressed out x

Thank you. He had cucumber pepper green beans dandelion leaves and coriander so at least he’s had something

Would also like to apologise for my stressy replies early this morning. I just feel so stressed out x
We all understand Claire. Having poorly/sub prime/injured piggies is stressful. Just try to stay positive, and be reassured that you are doing the best you can for him. It’s all any of us can do.

You’re doing great and we’re all behind you and Edward. No need to apologise for anything.

Just tried to get some more feed in to him, he only took a ml 😞 I’m crap at this 😞 He’s squeaking at me by holding him, is that normal? I don’t want to hurt him

Last edited:
Just tried to get some more feed in to him, he only took a ml 😞 I’m crap at this 😞 He’s squeaking at me by holding him, is that normal? I don’t want to hurt him
Can somebody help with the syringe feeding Claire, take the pressure off you both? He will be feeling your anxiety as you try feed him, I'm not criticising you at all because I'm exactly the same myself, I cant get more than 1ml into any piggy ever and the more they need it the more I get tense then they get scared and... I just get piggy daddy to do syringe feeds for me, I make up all the critical care, probiotics, modify the syringes to get a good wide end, then I just take a step back towards the wine bottle and let piggy daddy get on with it- he can do 10mls in 10 minutes sometimes, I do half a ml and then piggy always says no then I get upset then piggy gets upset and it just doesnt work for me...
Sounds like he's munching well on the finely chopped veg though, and its great he has an appointment at the Cat and Rabbit clinic x

No need to apologise, it's only natural to feel worried when our beloved pets aren't well. I was worried too when Squeaks wasn't himself on Saturday evening.

Will Edward take critical care etc from a dish? I just made up some for Squeaks and put it on a flat plate, and he tucked straight in :hb::tu:

Can somebody help with the syringe feeding Claire, take the pressure off you both? He will be feeling your anxiety as you try feed him, I'm not criticising you at all because I'm exactly the same myself, I cant get more than 1ml into any piggy ever and the more they need it the more I get tense then they get scared and... I just get piggy daddy to do syringe feeds for me, I make up all the critical care, probiotics, modify the syringes to get a good wide end, then I just take a step back towards the wine bottle and let piggy daddy get on with it- he can do 10mls in 10 minutes sometimes, I do half a ml and then piggy always says no then I get upset then piggy gets upset and it just doesnt work for me...
Sounds like he's munching well on the finely chopped veg though, and its great he has an appointment at the Cat and Rabbit clinic x

Thank you. Sadly nobody to help me as I’m on my own all day plus my husband and parents aren’t confident either 😞 I know what you mean about passing the stress and anxiety on. He’s protesting really bad and I’m scared I’m hurting him x

No need to apologise, it's only natural to feel worried when our beloved pets aren't well. I was worried too when Squeaks wasn't himself on Saturday evening.

Will Edward take critical care etc from a dish? I just made up some for Squeaks and put it on a flat plate, and he tucked straight in :hb::tu:

Thank you. He was eating little bits from a dish but he hasn’t done since yesterday since she clipped his teeth 😞 I don’t know if he’s associating it with being syringed or the teeth clipping 😞

Thank you. Sadly nobody to help me as I’m on my own all day plus my husband and parents aren’t confident either 😞 I know what you mean about passing the stress and anxiety on. He’s protesting really bad and I’m scared I’m hurting him x
Aw I'm sure you're not hurting him but he will know that you are scared because he's not eating enough and that might make him too scared to eat because he wont like you being scared :(
You're both having a tough time of things, sending hugs and healing wheeks x

Thank you. He was eating little bits from a dish but he hasn’t done since yesterday since she clipped his teeth 😞 I don’t know if he’s associating it with being syringed or the teeth clipping 😞
It might be worth trying him with some critical care/recovery food or mushed pellets on a dish, made sloppy enough for him to lick it up, so he doesn't have to try to pick it up with his teeth.

Aw I'm sure you're not hurting him but he will know that you are scared because he's not eating enough and that might make him too scared to eat because he wont like you being scared :(
You're both having a tough time of things, sending hugs and healing wheeks x

Thank you. He’s going to Wiebke’s in a few days and she’s far less stressy than me 🙂 x

It might be worth trying him with some critical care/recovery food or mushed pellets on a dish, made sloppy enough for him to lick it up, so he doesn't have to try to pick it up with his teeth.

Thank you, try and make it runnier. I’ve been feeding him Science Selective recovery plus mixed in with his pellets as that’s what the vet gave me x

He’s just been to the vets. He’s had sub cut fluids to keep him hydrated and has emeprid 0.7ml twice a day for 3 days. I told him I wasn’t happy about the teeth trimming from the other vet and he apologised and said his tongue is still in line with his bottom incisor? Got to keep syringe feeding him and take him back tomorrow for a check up with him x

You are doing great Claire and we all understand how stressful it is :hug:
When you syringe feed him, try putting the syringe into that gap between his incisors and his back teeth, use your thumb to find that gap

You are doing great Claire and we all understand how stressful it is :hug:
When you syringe feed him, try putting the syringe into that gap between his incisors and his back teeth, use your thumb to find that gap

Thank you. I’ve just got around 10 ml in to him but his tummy is making gurgling sounds and he’s hardly pooing and when he does, it’s like mush :( I’m very worried about his getting bloated. He’s just fallen asleep on me after his feed x

2F45E5DB-AD4A-4BCE-81E8-3D82288198FD.webp

Thank you. I’ve just got around 10 ml in to him but his tummy is making gurgling sounds and he’s hardly pooing and when he does, it’s like mush :( I’m very worried about his getting bloated. He’s just fallen asleep on me after his feed x

View attachment 206635
So sorry you and Edward are having a really hard time at the moment. When i was struggling to syringe feed Abigail, Debbie from TEAS told me to watch her guide on syringe feeding your guinea pig, It really helped, trying to find it to send it to you - I think it was on her TEAS facebook page. Sending hugs to both you and Edward xx

So sorry you and Edward are having a really hard time at the moment. When i was struggling to syringe feed Abigail, Debbie from TEAS told me to watch her guide on syringe feeding your guinea pig, It really helped, trying to find it to send it to you - I think it was on her TEAS facebook page. Sending hugs to both you and Edward xx

Claire has already seen the video because it is also incorporated (together with more vidoes and pictures of uncooperative piggies) in our new updated comprehensive medicating and syringe feeding guide. She has had the link for several days with the specific task of watching the videos and pictures. ;)

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

View attachment 206635
Well done - 10mls in one sitting is good going with an uncooperative piggy.

Just to say that Claire's parents and I have arranged that they are bringing her piggies to me on Thursday (a couple of weeks earlier than planned for their usual summer holiday boarding), so I can take over Edward's care and any necessary trips to the C&R from here now that his referral has gone through.

Edward has been coming here since 2016 as a teenager, so he is familiar with me and with the surroundings.

Back