• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Edward: dental problems

Those poo look absolutely fine to me. Well done, Edward. And well done Claire. Hang in there. The vets will be able to give him a full MOT tomorrow.

Thank you. He’s lost a further 5g taking him down to 840g. Got him booked in at the vets at 2.15 this afternoon. It’s the earliest appointment they had. Is there anything specific I should be asking / telling the vet?
Just tell the vet what what you’ve told us, Claire. Hope all goes well.

I’m not happy at all. She said she couldn’t see his back teeth due to food being in his mouth but said his bottom incisors were too long and has clipped them! She said to see how he goes over the next couple of days but I think she’s cut his bottom incisors far too short as he’s struggling to pick up veg and now I feel even more stressed out than ever! She thankfully only strengthened his top incisors. What should I do?

So sorry Claire. Keep going with the matchstick veg and the top up feeds. Perhaps try the egg cup (or similar) trick that was mentioned earlier?

I phoned the vet and told them I wasn't happy. They told me to take him back. She said that his mouth may still feel strange from the clipping and gave metacam and recovery food. She cleaned his mouth and said his bite was good, so he should still be able to eat and that she couldn't see any issues. I'm to syringe feed him tonight although he is making it very difficult and phone back tomorrow morning if he has lost anymore weight overnight and still isn't eating which he isn't although the poor thing is certainly trying :( I feel so stressed out and terrible and don't know what to do :( At least he was still eating bits of veg and grass before his incisors were bloody trimmed too short :(

Sorry you’re going through this- hopefully he’ll pick up with the eating for himself again very soon and you wont have the stress of syringe feeding for too long. You’re doing great.

It seems to be something many vets do, they think their incisors are too long then cut them far too short. I had this with Ted, his incisors were cut so short he couldn’t pick up any veggies for weeks. Poor Edward, why don’t you ask for a referral to Simon or Kim at the C&R they will have a proper look inside and at the back of his mouth and give you an experienced view of Edwards teeth and sort out any problems like spurs etc and will put your mind at rest x

It seems to be something many vets do, they think their incisors are too long then cut them far too short. I had this with Ted, his incisors were cut so short he couldn’t pick up any veggies for weeks. Poor Edward, why don’t you ask for a referral to Simon or Kim at the C&R they will have a proper look inside and at the back of his mouth and give you an experienced view of Edwards teeth and sort out any problems like spurs etc and will put your mind at rest x
Do you have an email address for C&R by any chance so I can pass it on to my vet? What did you do with Ted? Edward's incisors are so short you can barely see them :( I'm so upset and stressed out. He's actually going to Wiebke's in Coventry (along with my girls) in two weeks time but I've heard that the Maddocks go on summer holiday :(

Do you have an email address for C&R by any chance so I can pass it on to my vet? What did you do with Ted? Edward's incisors are so short you can barely see them :( I'm so upset and stressed out. He's actually going to Wiebke's in Coventry (along with my girls) in two weeks time but I've heard that the Maddocks go on summer holiday :(

They do grow back quite quickly. Pepper had his incisors trimmed and he couldn’t pick up food for about a week. He was ok with match stick veg. He’s eating ok now. I got my vets to call cat and rabbit today and I’ve got Pepper in on Friday. But he obviously has an abscess (massive lump under chin). Hope Edward starts to eat better. ❤️

They do grow back quite quickly. Pepper had his incisors trimmed and he couldn’t pick up food for about a week. He was ok with match stick veg. He’s eating ok now. I got my vets to call cat and rabbit today and I’ve got Pepper in on Friday. But he obviously has an abscess (massive lump under chin). Hope Edward starts to eat better. ❤️
How short were Peppers incisors trimmed? You can barely see Edward's :( I'm so upset and stressed :( I hope Peppers appointment goes well x

How short were Peppers incisors trimmed? You can barely see Edward's :( I'm so upset and stressed :( I hope Peppers appointment goes well x
Sorry Claire I can’t see it on their website, best to phone them up I think and then get the email off them

Somebody please help me, I have been up all night trying to syringe feed Edward. I'm tired, he's tired and he has lost a further 20g. What am I doing wrong? I am so scared of aspirating him. Can you asperate using a 1ml syringe? I fear I'm going to lose my boy :( He doesn't look well and hasn't pooed. I've got to phone the vet back this morning but i'm not sure what they'll do

If you take it slow you shouldn’t asperate him. You are doing all you can for now. His poops are probably changing because he’s not eating the right amount of hay. Can he pick up hay? When I was syringe feeding Pepper I hand fed hay after I’d finished. He liked that. I pushed it past his front teeth and he could eat it fine. See what the vets say. Also don’t over feed veg as that will upset his poops. Give pro c if you have it. ❤️

:agr: A little syringe feed at a time and giving him chance to swallow before offering the next

I'm so sorry to hear the vet has cut the incisors too short

I’d say it’s not just the incisors that are the problem then. As he should still be able to eat once it’s in. Good luck at the vets.

Back